Eliminating extraneous rattles in the room

The only thing left for me ot do is get rid of a *very* bothersome rattle that occurs mostly because of my center speaker placement, though other speakers cause this same rattle to a lesser extent.

My center (CSi40, set to SMALL) is positioned on the shelf of the TV stand, right below the TV. I'm not going to move it above the TV, even though I would prefer that position, because it just looks awkward and partially blocks a painting I have on the wall. Moving the painting higher would just look worse.

I have a Sony 36" Wega, model #KV-36FV1. This is the kind with the television speakers on the side of the screen, not beneath like in other models.

The molded plastic framing the screen is solid across the bottom (where the Sony logo is). The problem is that this lower part of the plastic frame is loose and rattles horribly at some lower frequencies, specifically 130 - 95 Hz.

If I push on the Sony logo and hold it in the rattle stops. However I can't remove the plastic frame to put a little bit of epoxy there to hold it in place and keeping my finger on it is just silly. I'm not a little Dutch Boy!

Has anyone else come across a similar problem and how was it resolved?
The Force is with Me -- YEEHAW!!!

Denon 3802
Mains -- RTi70s Biwired
Center -- CSi40 Biwired
Surrounds -- FXi50s
Post edited by JediCowboy on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    Duct tape that mother
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • JediCowboy
    JediCowboy Posts: 56
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by hoosier21
    Duct tape that mother

Asthetics? :)

Let me rephrase . . . How do I fix this in a way that would be presentable for company?

Denon 3802
    Mains -- RTi70s Biwired
    Center -- CSi40 Biwired
    Surrounds -- FXi50s
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited August 2002
    Thumbtacks.:D
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • JediCowboy
    JediCowboy Posts: 56
    edited August 2002
    OK Hoosier, believe it or not that silly remark inspired a fix that worked! If I couldn't hold it down, why not push it out?

The front plastic was loose enough to pull back slightly and to keep it in position I gently pushed 4 folded squares of toilet paper behind the plastic with a flathead screwdriver. It created just enough space to prevent the rattle caused by the plastic against the glass. And it doesn't bulge out unsightly either.

Its all good -- RESPECT!

Denon 3802
    Mains -- RTi70s Biwired
    Center -- CSi40 Biwired
    Surrounds -- FXi50s
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited August 2002
    If you can take the face off, duct tape will still work. Roll a small piece over on itself so it's double sided sticky, then stick a little wad of whatever *styrofoam, rolled up ducttape, unlucky insect* on the tape on the place you believe to be the rattle point and put the face back on. A little tweaking and you should have it.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend