Cracking noises from Lord of the Ring

Options
kn505
kn505 Posts: 380
edited August 2002 in Music & Movies
Just right before the "fire monster" falls off the cliff (chapter 29?), my center channel speaker (and possibly left front channel) has some loud cracking noises. Does anyone experience this, or do I have a bad DVD?
Post edited by kn505 on

Comments

• begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I heard about this problem from other forums.
    Don't actually have the dvd as I'm waiting for the extended release. Hopefully they'll learn from the mistakes on this current one.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited August 2002
    Options
    i have the dvd...i heard no crackling noises to remember...who knows..
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I did not hear any such noises on my DVD.

Was this point heavy with bass? It could have been the voice coils bottoming.........

Are your speakers set to "large"? Do you have a sub? If not and your speakers are set to "large" and your sub is set to "no", the LFE bass signal could have overpowered the speakers.

This DVD is "overcooked" - the overall volume is several dB higher than other DVDs, and the LFE track is also quite a bit hotter than the norm.

Try it again at a low volume and see if the symptom repeats itself.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2002
    Options
    KN505!!!!??????
    Your joking right???
    Someone at the "DVD sound production facility" thought it would be funny to put some "crackling" on YOUR disc.
    Come on man this dvd kicks major Bass A$$.
    Simple
    your center channel is bottoming out. The sound track is hitting really low freq. at that point. Turn down the volume for starters. She can't take much more , Captain!!!!!!
    SET YOUR CENTER TO SMALL!
    This DVD is awesome and there IS no crackling.
    What speakers are u running on the front stage and what sub. are u using? If I were to set my CS400 to large at the volume I like on LOTR --- then I would here some crackling too.

This DVD is "overcooked" - the overall volume is several dB higher than other DVDs, and the LFE track is also quite a bit hotter than the norm.
    If this DVD is "overcooked", then my system LOVED it. :D
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I have a CS400 which I run 'large' and even at or near reference, I hear no cracking sounds.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Ohhh Ya, another word for "overcooked" would be "Reference Quality"!;)
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Thanks for all your inputs. I will run the DVD again and see...
    My front speakers are pioneer elite tz-f700 and tz-c700. I think they are running at "large". I also have the velodyne fsr15 hookup but did not turn it on when we were watching the movie because my children were sleeping. Also the volumn was very low when these "cracking" noises appeared.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Dr. Spec, I noticed that same thing from the DVD.

I had to turn my system down at least 6dB from the average. My wife is content with about an average of 65-70 dB SPL which is about 25 on the h/k preAmp and when LOTR came on she started CHIRPING, " Turn that Down!!!! ", and about 30 was back to normal.

2 half powers is a lot... I think. So overcooked it is IMHO.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Yeah, didn't mean to suggest overcooked was necessarily a bad thing - it's an incredible sounding DVD. The DTS version will be to DIE FOR, I'm sure.

It's just a good 6-8dB louder than other DD soundtracks, and the bass is VERY strong. I went from -25 on the Kenwood - my normal "reference" volume level, to -32.

AND I also dropped by sub volume from +4 to -1 just to keep my long suffering Advents from bottoming out (again). The poor things dig pretty deep, but the hk870 amp is a major powerhouse (huge trans and caps, 60 amp instant current capability) and can easily overdrive them, especially on this soundtrack - KILLER LFE.

The wait for the SVS 20-39PC+ is really getting to me. Should be shipping any day now........

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited August 2002
    Options
    i though my m&k was bottuming out a couple of times..but it'd take a lot to do that...lol..

Hey neone know how much a 15 year old M&K sub is worth, mint condition, very few problems.... originally cost 1400 dollars and now is the mx-125...just curious...lol...

newayz...lord of the rings is an awesome sounding dvd...i have all my speakers set to small...bass is sent to sub and crossover at 60 hz where the average human vioce ends...
    but i heard no crackling at 74 db
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I noticed this same thing -- crackeling in my center channel -- when watching THE ROYAL TENNEBAUMS in 5.1. No big bass, no over modulation, no nothing, but crackeling that didn't go away till I switched from 5.1 to 2.0 and back. Huh?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited August 2002
    Options
    There is a known problem with receivers/processors that use a certain DSP decoder. Dolby Labs has posted a Q&A concerning this problem.
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2002
    Options
    i have had no problem with my onkyo and my setup i had it turned to normal volume and it was extream i have found a few more rattles in my ht that was not noticible befor