Bridging vs bi-amplify

Options
tcw411
tcw411 Posts: 1
edited January 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Need help - I have SRS 3.1 TL speakers and a NAD7400 receiver and a NAD2400 amp. Would it be better to bridge receiver & amp and wire speakers normally or is it better to bi-amplify? And if I bi-amplify, would it better to use the receiver to power highs and amp to power the lows? In the past, have bridged and have hurt the tweeters. Just received two replacement tweeters from Polk looking for best sound quality but I don't want to damage speakers, any help would be appreciated!
Post edited by tcw411 on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Do neither.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    Do neither.

You know, I was going to say that but didn't want to sound...... callus?

Oh well, +1 on that and welcome too.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Bi-amp never really blew my skirt up. I ran some NAD 2700 mono bridged with some 1C's and had excellent results.

RT1
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I'm wondering how you bridge the reciever. you mean have the reciever drive one channel only? doesnt sound right. I think you should just go with the one amp for now. I never was a believer in biamping with a reciever.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2006
    Options
    ohskigod, just a little clarification.

That NAD 7400's amp can bridged, it has exact same amp as the stand alone 2400 amp. NAD designed the receiver for this set up. He is not talking about doing the ol use speaker A terminal on X and speaker B terminal on Y.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • hoosier21
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I would use the recievers amp for the highs and the 2400 for the lows.

IF you choose to bridge the amps, please do a dearch here for "AI-1 interconnect", you will need one.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • ohskigod
    edited January 2006
    Options
    oh yeah, forgot about the whole AI-1 thing. if the amp section of the reciever and the other amp are the same, biamp away. My vote is reciever on tweets, amp on woofers.

if you get the aI interconnect (and only if) try bridged, see which sounds better. trust your ears.

Hoosier, thanx for clearing that up, for the life of me I thought TCW was nuts
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited January 2006
    Options
    +3db

whoopdeedoo
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • hoosier21
    edited January 2006
    Options
    aaharvel wrote:
    +3db

whoopdeedoo

what? is there a sentence missing?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2006
    Options
    hoosier21 wrote:
    ohskigod, just a little clarification. That NAD 7400's amp can bridged, it has exact same amp as the stand alone 2400 amp. NAD designed the receiver for this set up.

That helps one get a clearer picture.
  • ohskigod
    edited January 2006
    Options
    here's me being stupid again, but does that mean the reciever (specifically the preamp part of it) can be used as the pre controls for both amps (stand alone bridged and reciever amp section bridged)?

that would actually be pretty friggin cool
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2006
    Options
    aaharvel wrote:
    +3db

whoopdeedoo

Seems like I recall the NAD 2700's going from 150 to 400 with out of sight headroom for transient's something like 1200 watts or +8 db, anyway, the NAD folks definetly set their gear up to work well in bridged mode.

Of course you need the gear to make all that power useful.

RT1

RT1