LSi's and Onkyo

Comments

• m-rorem
    m-rorem Posts: 58
    edited January 2006
    kmartin971 wrote:
    The LSi25 can be split. Whats left is an LSi9 (Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 200 w/channel ). The 10" woofer already has a seperate dedicated amp.

Not to go off topic, but the LSI25's top half is not exactly a LSI9. But you are correct, the LSI25 actually would require less power to drive than a LSI15, but it isn't any less of a load on the amplifier as far as the impedance goes.

mrorem
  • kmartin971
    kmartin971 Posts: 236
    edited January 2006
    m-rorem - I agree 100%!!
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    Sony Upconverting DVD Player
    XBox
    XBox 360 (Wireless connection live and media center enabled)
    PS3
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited January 2006
    This is getting laughable. Kmartin quit quoting specs...they mean nothing in the real world. Audio source, not the greatest but still marginally better than a receiver.

Adcom
    Rotel
    B & K
    Aragon
    Outlaw
    Parasound
    Carver
    Cineova

all leaps and bounds what you've quoted so far. I'm beginning to think you are posting just to see yourself post. You keep throwing things out there to get a reaction and then you want to argue with that reaction. Do whatever you want...be me personally I've had experience with one or more of the above and they are solid choices that will make a difference.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited January 2006
    my JBL duet pc speakers are 2ohm speakers and putting out 180x2 cont. 20hz-20khz with +/-110 current in it's internal amp.

OH IT'S TRUE! IT'S DAMN TRUE!
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • scottyf
    scottyf Posts: 129
    edited January 2006
    I'm very happy with my Alta Vista modified Counterpoint NP-100. Plenty of power and the most musical amp I've ever listened to. Makes my LSi15 based 2-channel system one of the best I've ever owned....and I've owned many.

http://www.altavistaaudio.com/

HOME: VPI Classic/Grado Reference Master, EVS-modified Oppo BP83, Bryston DAC, Counterpoint 3000/SA-100 modified by Alta Vista, Polk LSi15

TRUCK: Pioneer 8600MP, Soundstream 300SX, pr of Xtant 1001i, Autotek SS490.2, Polk SR6500, Polk MMC6500, pr of Polk MM2084DVC
  • m-rorem
    m-rorem Posts: 58
    edited January 2006
    heiney9 wrote:
    I'm beginning to think you are posting just to see yourself post. You keep throwing things out there to get a reaction and then you want to argue with that reaction.

I'm starting to get a headache myself, I think I will go downstairs to my humble HT and listen and watch, get a big grin on my face and just enjoy! Something that I should have done about an hour ago.....

m-rorem :rolleyes:
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2006
    Somebody finally said it.

You have outstanding speakers, if you now want to risk them with a receiver that can't handle them or cheap out on a non-home audio amp, go right ahead.

But just stop wasting our time, since we have already given you all the relevant information & recommendations that you need to make a WISE decision!

heiney9 wrote:
    This is getting laughable. Kmartin quit quoting specs...they mean nothing in the real world. Audio source, not the greatest but still marginally better than a receiver.

Adcom
    Rotel
    B & K
    Aragon
    Outlaw
    Parasound
    Carver
    Cineova

all leaps and bounds what you've quoted so far. I'm beginning to think you are posting just to see yourself post. You keep throwing things out there to get a reaction and then you want to argue with that reaction. Do whatever you want...be me personally I've had experience with one or more of the above and they are solid choices that will make a difference.

H9
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • kmartin971
    edited January 2006
    Thanks for the LONG thread and dicussion! I think i am sold and will be adding a 7 channel amp with minimum 200 WPC in the 2k range.

If any one has any suggestions that meet this description please post.

Does anyone have the outlaw that meets this description?

Thanks,

kmart
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    XBox
    PS3
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2006
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited January 2006
    Thought I would chime in on Audiosource, although the other "usual suspect" amp brands in the thread should be a step up from Audiosource.

Audiosource amps are not PA/pro; they are entry-level home separates. Some of their newer models seem more geared to whole house audio, vs. basic 2 ch set-ups.

For some reason, the distortion specs are higher for the newer model 300 vs. the model Three. I don't know if comes from a difference (downgrade) in the amp design/performance, or just a difference in measurement parameters.

Nonetheless, I'm running 2 Threes monobridged for my LS90s, and the improvement over my Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX is more than marginal. Given that the 45TX weighs around 42 lbs, I would guess that its power supply is beefier than the Onkyo mentioned in this thread.

The Threes were a cheap experiment for me into the world of separate amps, and I really didn't expect the level of improvement that I got over the 45TX. I can only wonder how much more of an improvement I would get with the better brands mentioned.

However, I believe your LSi's are harder to drive, are better speakers than my LS90s, and may require/deserve better amps than Audiosource.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    There's no doubt that pretty much any amp is a step-up over a receiver. However, given this situation, the AS amps weren't enough of a step-up. I should think the LS90s would be hard to drive, too.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • cammrit
    cammrit Posts: 6
    edited January 2006
    Wow,
    I replied the other day to kmartin, and I don't want to sound selfish, but you guys sure have pointed me in the right direction for my LSi package. kmartin, my sincere appologies for getting you into this discussion, as I do agree, if you are happy with your system, that's all that matters. For me, I don't have the time to go through upgrade after upgrade...I am only gonna do this once (the wife won't let me spend the money again, so I better spend it all the first time...he he). I think I will just spend the $2500 and get an Outlaw 990 w/7 Mono Block 200's. Sounds like a bargain to me. Considering it is quite a bit less than I was expecting to pay :) Unless any one else has any better ideas?

Cheers, and once again, thanks to all you experts giving your valuable comments so goons like me can make an informative discision without having to listen to a silly sales reps give you the rundown on their newest gizzmo.

cammrit
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    cammrit wrote:
    I think I will just spend the $2500 and get an Outlaw 990 w/7 Mono Block 200's.

I think you will be thrilled with that setup powering an LSi HT.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2006
    You have made a smart decision Cammrit! Both you & your wife will be happy with the new equipment which will last for years!!!

Let us know what you think of it once you have it installed!
    cammrit wrote:
    Wow,
    I replied the other day to kmartin, and I don't want to sound selfish, but you guys sure have pointed me in the right direction for my LSi package. kmartin, my sincere appologies for getting you into this discussion, as I do agree, if you are happy with your system, that's all that matters. For me, I don't have the time to go through upgrade after upgrade...I am only gonna do this once (the wife won't let me spend the money again, so I better spend it all the first time...he he). I think I will just spend the $2500 and get an Outlaw 990 w/7 Mono Block 200's. Sounds like a bargain to me. Considering it is quite a bit less than I was expecting to pay :) Unless any one else has any better ideas?

Cheers, and once again, thanks to all you experts giving your valuable comments so goons like me can make an informative discision without having to listen to a silly sales reps give you the rundown on their newest gizzmo.

cammrit
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • The Doc
    The Doc Posts: 5
    edited January 2006
    It probably be better to say you cant use a reciever "at that price" to drive lsi's..Denons flagship reciever will give out plenty of power for a HT setup
  • heiney9
    edited January 2006
    The Doc wrote:
    It probably be better to say you cant use a reciever "at that price" to drive lsi's..Denons flagship reciever will give out plenty of power for a HT setup

It's better to say that no receiver will drive the Lsi's like quality seperates. Even the more modest amps will do better than a HT receiver no matter if it's the flagship or not. Not to say the Denon isn't a nice piece. Comparing apples to oranges when it comes to Rec vs. seperates.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • The Doc
    The Doc Posts: 5
    edited January 2006
    I think that would depend on how hard you drive those speakers in a HT situation..not all can have the space for alot of seperates. Plus denons high end av recievers offer alot of things never found in most preamp/processors
  • aaharvel
    edited January 2006
    heiney9 wrote:
    It's better to say that no receiver will drive the Lsi's like quality seperates. Even the more modest amps will do better than a HT receiver no matter if it's the flagship or not. Not to say the Denon isn't a nice piece. Comparing apples to oranges when it comes to Rec vs. seperates.

H9

you sure? - i'd prob. put a B&K receiver over my Adcoms
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • heiney9
    edited January 2006
    Yep, my Adcom over B & K receiver. Again I'm talking principle here. Sure we can debate the merits of brand "x" vs. brand "y". Seperates offer the most flexibility, better perfomance based on higher grade parts and design execution. Any receiver is "compromise" of sorts. They are limited by physical size and have to make comprimises; those compromises are almost always in the power section. Of course some do this better than others and a flagship model usually has minimized the compromises.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/howto/405shopping/

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/109459.html

Both of these informational articles explain in detail some of the limitations of receivers vs. seperates.

It's up to the indivdual to decide if these compromises are important. Where people get in trouble is trying to convince others these compromises are either non-exsistent or mean almost nothing.

H9
  • aaharvel
    edited January 2006
    good links thanks
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited January 2006
    It is all a matter of intended use and preferences: A school bus can cost more $$$, break every legal speed limit, haul more beautiful women, is way more versitile, and corner just as flat at 5 mph as the Z-06 Corvette.

It doesn't mean I would choose big yellow for my garage. :D

Now we're talking apples to oranges!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    ^^ Very interesting analogy...but one that I can relate to! :D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited January 2006
    I really get sick of people trying to say as long as you don't drive them too loud, their stuff sounds good. Why not simply buy a balanced enough system to handle any volume. This can be done without breaking the bank, with the $$$ allocated the right way.

With this said...............anyone spending the $$$ on the LSi line is getting bad advice if they are trying to drive them with low end receivers or amps.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    Zero wrote:
    That being said; screw onkyo. :)

Amen. And in my opinion, put Denon in the same boat.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • heiney9
    edited January 2006
    Zero wrote:
    I am going to play stick in the mud here.

The Sony AVD S50 ES drove all five LSi's cleaner, with more control and dynamics than many seperates I have owned. This receiver retailed for only $750. Talk about a diamond in the rough. Now to really piss some people off - it was an all in one unit. Yep, a dvd player (kick **** video), cd/sacd...all that jazz. It spanked the hell out of the NAD / ROTEL / B&K receivers... which too are typically alright with driving LSi's.

I'll go ahead and put my stick in the mud as well :D

Why don't you still use it? Seems like the holy grail to me. If it's so awesome and does better than many top performers why get rid of it? Sean, I assume you don't use it anymore. You've moved on to bigger and better things. There are always exceptions on both sides.
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    Well, Sean doesn't have the self-restraint required to hold on to the absolute best of anything when he stumbles across something else! :p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2006
    Zero wrote:

The funny thing was, Until I heard Opus's Rotel Pre-amp in place of my Onkyo, I thought it sounded pretty good. Talk about just not knowing what you don't know.

I honestly had no idea what kind of sound was possible with my LSi's and how far away from that sound my AVR was keeping me. Of course, now I have to live with my Onkyo for a year before I can upgrade and every time I listen to it I wonder what that movie or music would sound like with a decent pre-amp. This hobby IS a sickness... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • heiney9
    edited January 2006
    McLoki wrote:
    This hobby IS a sickness... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Michael

I've been sick for a long time :D:p .
  • kmartin971
    edited January 2006
    I recently purchased an Aragon 2007! :) I will let you know if I see an improvement over my Onkyo 830.
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    XBox
    PS3
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2006
    kmartin971 wrote:
    I recently purchased an Aragon 2007! :)
    Now THAT is a nice amp... :D Congrats on the purchase and I look forward to your opinions on it compared to your Onkyo in driving your LSi's...

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)