pre-amp suggestions besides Outlaw 990?

Options
jrlouie
jrlouie Posts: 462
edited January 2006 in Electronics
Well, I was thinking about the Outlaw 990 pre-amp. I haven't decided yet though. One thing that bothers me is the non-learning remote control. I love the ability to transfer the functions on an old remote, to a new one. I have done this a lot. This means I'd have to buy a Harmony remote or something if I need that functionality. The 990 is also pretty large, but not a big deal. I like the DVI switching, pretty cool.
What other brands/models would you recommend that are no more expensive than the 990 (about $1100) yet can compete regarding features?
Post edited by jrlouie on

Comments

• m-rorem
    m-rorem Posts: 58
    edited January 2006
    Options
    jrlouie wrote:
    Well, I was thinking about the Outlaw 990 pre-amp. I haven't decided yet though. One thing that bothers me is the non-learning remote control. I love the ability to transfer the functions on an old remote, to a new one. I have done this a lot. This means I'd have to buy a Harmony remote or something if I need that functionality. The 990 is also pretty large, but not a big deal. I like the DVI switching, pretty cool.
    What other brands/models would you recommend that are no more expensive than the 990 (about $1100) yet can compete regarding features?

Outlaw is REALLY hard to compete with, no less beat at anywhere near that price for new gear. You will find that most "hi-end" receivers and pre-pros don't come with really elaborate remotes anymore, most users will get a remote that they prefer anyway (there is no perfect remote, everyone has their own preferences).

The only other option you might consider would be a pre-owned pre-pro from a higher-end company like Anthem, Rotel, Adcom, Integra Research, B&K or the like, but most of them will not have all of the "features" of the Outlaw, though probably better sound quality especially for music listening.

Check out Audiogon, you might find a real "steal" there from someone looking to upgrade.

Good luck,

m-rorem ;)
  • jrlouie
    jrlouie Posts: 462
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Hmm, noticed the Adcom has a learing remote, so does the Rotel. But the Rotel doesn't have that cool auto-setup feature the Outlaw does, nor does it have HDMI. Same goes for the Adcom.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2006
    Options
    In it's price range, and considering new equipment only, there isn't any real competition. Outlaw wins.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D