FedEx-Damaged RTA 15TL

Options
decato
decato Posts: 185
edited January 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a pair of RTA 15TLs. The seller did an excellent job packing them. He used multiple layers of boxes, bubble wrap, and styrafoam swirls. Something went through all the layers of packing and caused the damage you see in the pictures. Even the grill staples have left imprints on the cabinet. I am quite upset about this. The same thing happened to me over the weekend with my Rotosonic Leslie drum. FedEx managed to puncture the 1/4" drum wall, cracking the pressed board and leaving me with a hole the size of a dime.

I thought UPS was the worst, but FedEx is quickly catching up.

Any ideas about how to make this look a little better?

Thanks,
Brian
Post edited by decato on

Comments

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Sorry to see the misfortune. Seems no one is trustworthy anymore.

As far as the damage goes. There is the ever popular Sharpie. Not a perfect fix but a blind man running for his life would never notice. ;)

For a better fix you might consider going to your local home improvement store and have them mix up a pint of black latex paint. When they mix black it makes for a pretty thick paint, and when rolled on it leaves a very similar texture. Of course to get a uniform finish that will probably mean pulling the drivers and rolling the entire front. Maybe even sanding it all first.

Hope you find a suitable fix.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2006
    Options
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Yup black sharpie will take care of it!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2006
    Options
    It really pisses me off to see that.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • cmy330go
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Just curious....any insurance on the shipping? Even it no insurance was purchased I believe both UPS and FedEX automatically have up to $100 insurance included on each package shipped.

Just a thought.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • decato
    edited January 2006
    Options
    cmy330go wrote:
    Just curious....any insurance on the shipping? Even it no insurance was purchased I believe both UPS and FedEX automatically have up to $100 insurance included on each package shipped.

Yes, insurance was purchased. The other speaker got separated in transit, but it should be here tomorrow. I am waiting to see how it arrives. If it is also damaged, I will probably collect the insurance money. However, before I can collect anything, a FedEx rep needs to examine the speaker and the packing materials. They actually wanted to come and pick it up to ship to a facility for this examination, probably adding a few more dents in the process. Luckily, there is an authorized FedEx station nearby, and I will take it there on Friday to see what they say. Somehow I have a feeling they will blame it on inadequate packing, since that's much easier than claiming responsibility.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I remember cringing when you told me he used bubble wrap. However, that doesn't explain the puncture, which no amount or kind of packing material would prevent. Tell Fed Ex you're not going to take no for an answer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• decato
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Hey Jesse,
    Yeah, the packaging was quite good. This is the same type of hole I had with my Leslie speaker for the organ. Whatever it was, it went right through 1/4" particle board. That means I would have needed shipping box to be made out of something like 1/2" particle board to avoid damage. Can you imagine shipping the RTA 15s in a particle board box instead of cardboard boxes? FedEx must shoot at my packages with a bow and arrow.

Any advice on how to clean it up other than a sharpie? It scraped the vinyl right off, so the puncture mark is slightly recessed.

-Brian
  • F1nut
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Yeah, I think that's beyond a Sharpie. When I was restoring Doro's CRS's I searched everywhere for that black vinyl material (even asked Ken), but to no avail. If you find any, please let me know.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cmy330go
    edited January 2006
    Options
    This may not be identical but it looks pretty darn close.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-018
    HT

2 CH
  • F1nut
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Yep, that was the closet I could find too.

President of Club Polk

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2006
    Options
    you have to be careful with fedex and ups when shipping stereo equipment specifically. sometimes, they deny insurance coverage (in very small print mind you) that specifically excludes electronic and stereo equipment. trust me, i learned this the hard way with a dvd player that i purchased. you may want to call them and see if you even eligible. just a thought.

take care and good luck with the sharpie, as it seems to be the fix of choice.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • decato
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Well, the other speaker is damaged too; it took a rather sizable hit right at the top. What a shame! I will be requesting that FedEx give me a full refund. I do not feel like spending the time and money to fix these back up.
  • cmy330go
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Man that sucks. I would raise as much hell as you can about this!! There is no reason in the world they have to be so rough on things.

You sure got me sweatin'. I have two new truntables, a phono stage, and a large printer shipping to me this week. I just hope I have better luck.

Keep us posted.

BTW. If you don't plan on keeping them I might be interested.
    HT

2 CH
  • F1nut
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I hate to say it, but bubble wrap and peanuts doesn't cut it when shipping heavy speakers no matter what the carton is made from as the speakers will shift around inside the cartons.

When I shipped mine I had the original cartons, but not the packing material, so I made new packing material from 1/2 and 3/4 inch styrofoam sheets available at Home Depot. I shipped FedEx Ground and the speakers arrived in perfect shape.

I think you have a better chance of getting a refund from the seller rather than FedEx on this one.

This is a picture of them before going into the cartons. Once in I placed more sheets around the sides and front.

President of Club Polk

• polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited January 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    I think you have a better chance of getting a refund from the seller rather than FedEx on this one.

I think it depends on the outer box. If there is a hole in the exterior box where something clearly went through to the speaker, the chances are good for a claim. If, on the other hand, there is no hole in the outer box, then it's a case of "the immaculate gouge" and Fed Ex won't pay.

Keep in mind that FedEx autodeclines 90% of all claims. I had a FedEx rep tell me this on the phone. It's SOP, and they said to appeal. It's like companies offering rebates rather than a lower price. Some people just won't bother, so the company ends up making more money (or in this case not paying on a claim).

Good luck!
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2006
    Options
    It sucks when something like that happens but I can't believe the bigger problem shipping caused.... It reversed the order of the drivers in the cabinets!!! :eek: :D