Monitor 7

Options
muddywatts
muddywatts Posts: 7
edited January 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I recently purchased a pair of Monitor 7's to compliment my M4A's and M5A's.
I soon noticed that one speaker didn't seem to be as bright as the other. I switched the drivers, but the same speaker underperformed. So I either have a X-over issue or the SL-2500 tweeter is bad. I disassembeld the tweeter, and the only thing unusual that I noticed was that the solid, round piece of metal that the voice coil fits over is not mounted concentrically within its housing, and the dome does appear to be a little crooked when reassembled, however, the voice coil is still able to slide into position. Does anybody have any suggestions as to the problem? Since SL 2500's are hard to come by, I'll probably end up buying the new replacement from Polk. But in that case, I'd have to get a pair unless someone has one too sell. I think I favor the Peerless tweeters in my 4's and 5's over the SL2500. and I think that seems to be the general consensus on the list, but then again I can't be sure until I have a pair of working SL's to compare with. Thanks - Muddy
Post edited by muddywatts on

Comments

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Did you switch the tweeters from one speaker to the other?

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • muddywatts
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Yes, I forgot to mention that I did that as well.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2006
    Options
    muddywatts wrote:
    I noticed that one speaker didn't seem to be as bright as the other.

Lets clear this up a bit, and welcome to the Forums BTW.

Say the right-hand speaker seemed to be not as bright as the left.
    muddywatts wrote:
    I switched the drivers,

Meaning you took the tweeter and mid-bass driver out of the left-hand speaker and put them in the right-hand speaker. Then placed the drivers from right-hand speaker into the left's cabinet?
    muddywatts wrote:
    but the same speaker underperformed.

Meaning the right-hand speaker still wasn't as bright as the left?

This is what it sounds like you did. If this is indeed the case then the drivers aren't the problem.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2006
    Options
    muddywatts wrote:
    Yes, I forgot to mention that I did that as well.

I was typing while you made this post. :)
  • muddywatts
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Bob - I've never been much good at formalities. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the tweeter. I used a toilet paper roll and listened to the tweeters on the 2 M7's with the SL2500's and the 2 M5's with Peerless. The one SL2500 in question sounded dull, the other sounded much better, but fellas, the Peerless hurt my ears! I'm going to get a pair of the silk replacements from Polk which would mean I then that will have an SL2500 up for trade for a Peerless. Thanks all.
  • StopherJJ1980
    StopherJJ1980 Posts: 267
    edited January 2006
    Options
    You knwo Im currently having the same issue with MY RTi8's. One speaker is is brighter and one is duller. Neither sound BAD but just different. the funny thing is I seem the prefer the slightly brighter speaker as it has a more 'real' or 'live' sound when it comes to guitars and music but the slightly duller one matches my CSi5 and FXi3's better when circulating test tones.
    -Stopher
    Tempe, AZ

Setup:
    Polk RTi8 Mains
    Polk CSi5 Center
    Polk FXi3's Surround
    Cerwin Vega HTS10 Subwoofer
    Yamaha HTR-5740 AVR

Upstairs R50/R15/CS1 5.1 setup w Pioneer AVR
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited January 2006
    Options
    could it be your equipment, I've had receiver and amps that have had one channel that is brighter thant the other. I've also had equipment that had a channel that was louder than the other
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2006
    Options
    muddywatts wrote:
    Thanks for the welcome Bob - I've never been much good at formalities. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the tweeter. I used a toilet paper roll and listened to the tweeters on the 2 M7's with the SL2500's and the 2 M5's with Peerless. The one SL2500 in question sounded dull, the other sounded much better, but fellas, the Peerless hurt my ears! I'm going to get a pair of the silk replacements from Polk which would mean I then that will have an SL2500 up for trade for a Peerless. Thanks all.

IF you swapped the tweeters between cabinets, and the same cabinet had the problem, then you're looking for an issue with whatever you're powering these with, not the tweeter itself. I never had any problems with the SL2500's in my Monitor 10's, never thought they were fatiguing like the SL2000's.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Agree... Try swapping speaker wire runs.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • muddywatts
    edited January 2006
    Options
    It's not the power source. I've had them hooked up to 2 different sources. The way the dome fits crooked leads me to believe it's defective.