Regarding my new SRS 2's

Options
jcaut
jcaut Posts: 1,849
edited January 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I was reading the "WAF" thread earlier, so I though I'd post this here.

My wife LOVES the SRS 2's.

I was a little worried at first, because they look a lot bigger in person than you're expecting if you've just looked at the dimensions. And I knew it was going to be a challenge getting them to "fit" anywhere in my house. Turns out it still is, since I just basically got them into the den, sitting in front of my other speakers and, at least partially blocking view of the TV. They were supposed to go in the living room. I hooked them up, though (maybe a mistake?), and that's where they've been sitting for nearly a week. We both enjoy listening to music, and they sound so good...! They're far from optimally placed, and one of them (I can hear the groans already) is hooked up with alligator clip leads, since my existing speaker wires wouldn't quite reach. But, man, they just sound wonderful. Associated gear is a modded Tosh 3950 CD player, a Dodd ELP (currently running JAN 6922's), and a Sunfire 300 x 2 amp.

These were the first SDA's that I had ever heard 2 years ago at TX PFII, and though Russ had some higher-zoot gear than I do, I'm happy to say that they sound just as impressive at my house as they did at his. I can just sit down and listen to whole CD's, for hours at a time: Something I rarely did before. I've been digging through my CD collection and ordering a few new ones.

These speakers already have the updated tweeters, and though I never heard them with the SL2000's, I don't hear anything that they're doing wrong. I don't have many people around who are "into" audio, so I'm having fun getting people to come in and sit down for a listen. They come in thinking I'm crazy for having such big speakers sitting in my room, but when the music starts playing they get that funny amazed look on their face. Fun to watch. Then they don't want to leave. I bet Russ has had this problem. :o

Some observations I've made so far (keep in mind the placement):

The SDA effect is a cool thing. Some may consider it a gimmic, or whatever, but it works, and works well with almost all material. What I like about it, as opposed to some of the other "processing"-based soundfield enhancement techniques, is that it works on the right parts of the signal and basically leaves everything else alone. In other words, on material that's not "SDA demo material" -- stuff that doesn't have especially wide separation or whatever-- it doesn't mess it up. It just sounds normal. A strong center image is always maintained. The only exception I've noted, and others have too, is that piano, depending on how it's mic'd, can sound like it's 50ft from one end to the other.

The bass from these is incredible. I've seen the specs, but still it's hard to imagine those 6.5" active drivers being capable of pumping out bass with such authority. They dig deep, and it's tight, fast.. natural-sounding. Even sitting out 3 ft from the wall. Already on several recordings I've found bass notes that I didn't know were there. And I'm going to have to go "rattle-hunting" in my kitchen cabinets. I talked to someone on the forum a while back who was using a PSW1200 with SRS 2's. He felt like the sub added considerable bass below what the SRS 2's would produce. I disagree. I think it's obvious that the SRS 2's go deeper. It's a different kind of bass, and not as "in-your-face", but it's fantastic for music.

They're very efficient. Though I'm a believer in having big power, at least big S.S. power, it certainly doesn't require large amounts of it to produce a lot of sound from these speakers. I thought my RT800i's sounded big. These sound much bigger. Not quite as big as Russ's line arrays, but close.

These may just put a damper on my enthusiasm for DIY speakers. Maybe my enthusiasm for hording speakers, in general. I feel like I stepped up several notches: Everything else I had was on one level. Would I drive my Camaro if I had a Ferrari sitting in the garage next to it? Maybe not a good car analogy, but you get the idea. I guess I could build some line arrays...

If you can't tell, I'm pretty enthused about these speakers. :D Maybe rational thought will return once the new wears off. Or maybe not.

Thanks Polk forum friends!
Jason
Post edited by jcaut on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Word up!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Good for you Jason, enjoy those babies! :)
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Congrats Jason!!!

I know I really am very impressed with mine and see NO NEED whatsoever to go any larger than these. There are more than enough for my 24x18 room. My room is very acoustically friendly and I have them about 7ft apart and 6 1/2" from the back wall. The left speaker is about 4 1/2' from the side wall and the right is about 10' away from it's side wall. Placement is everything and I just spread mine out from 6ft and it made a huge difference in the speaker's presentation of every material I've played through them since.

Probably the most under-priced and underrated of all the SDAs, imo.

Enjoy them bro!!!
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Congrats Jason, nice read.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2006
    Options
    That grin is what they call a "Polkerface". Be sure to eat and drink every now and then. :D
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2006
    Options
    those srs2 are very nice, truely thought about trying to get them over to here in GA, I know Russ got them from the original owner, and I know Russ treated the great, sorry, in short great **** buy on your part.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Jason, are you getting any hum through your setup? Hum heard through the speakers? I was getting a lot and I had a pretty identical setup you have.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Hum? Yeah, there's a little. The Sunfire amp itself is not dead quiet, which surprised me a little. It's got just a touch of hum, but to hear it, you pretty much have to have your ear up next to the speakers. When the preamp is switched in, the hum increases. Doubles, maybe, but still just to the point of being audible from a "normal" distance, in a very quiet room. It seems to vary a little with different tubes, or maybe I'm imagining that. It bothered me a little at first- dead quiet with no signal is a quality I've always admired- but it bothers me less nowadays. Especially considering how good it sounds with music playing. I actually think I'm getting less audible hum now through the SDA's than I was getting through RT800i's, though I'm not sure why that would be.

Is that the Symphonic Reference amp you've got? I used to have the matching preamp, before I got the Dodd.

Jason
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2006
    Options
    You rock Jason.

I'm thrilled that you have them, and are diggin' the experience.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I enjoy our SRS 2's a LOT...getting ready to do the tweeter upgrade soon...The SRS 2's are a true bargain.

There is a pair in the Flea Market right now for $350.

That's not a bargain,it's a STEAL:D