rti tweeter upgrade for Monitor 70 towers?

Options
baddgsx
baddgsx Posts: 2
edited January 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
hi, i have the monitor 70s, and i love them, i heard that the tweeters arent really reliable though, has anyone here upgraded to rti tweeters on their monitor series on here yet, its an idea i have since i dont want to buy brand new rti towers. thanx for any info, Chris
Post edited by baddgsx on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Bad idea...

The Monitor series uses a Monitor series Tweeter because it is the Monitor series. A speaker has a tweeter designed to blend with the midbass and crossover, adding a different tweeter will not sound good...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2006
    Options
    baddgsx wrote:
    i heard that the tweeters arent really reliable

Tweeters not reliable? I see no reason that they should be any more prone to failure than the RTi tweeters. I think it comes down to user error: Trying to play them too loud with too little power. They're not P.A. speakers. Unfortunately, some people try to drive them to unrealistic volume levels, often with an underpowered receiver. The tweeters are usually the first to give. That's true with almost all good quality speakers, because good hi-fi tweeters are generally delicate. If you hear of more tweeter problems in the Monitor series than the RTi series, (I personally haven't heard that) I'd bet that it has more to do with socioeconomic factors (who buys speakers at that price point and what kind of gear are they used with) than differences in the quality of the speakers. Sorry for the long explanation.

At any rate, there would be no advantage, only disadvantages, to swapping tweeters.

Jason
  • baddgsx
    baddgsx Posts: 2
    edited January 2006
    Options
    sweet, thanx for the replys guys, u saved me alot of work and headaches, lol ,