Donnie Darko

Options
-justin-
-justin- Posts: 891
edited August 2002 in Music & Movies
A friend of mine said he heard this movie was good, and then read a two line review that talks about how this kid, Donnie, talks to a mechanical bunny and is all **** up. So we said "what the hell", and rented it.

I saw it, I thought it was pretty cool. When "Donnie" gives this creepy smile into the camera when he sees the giant (non-mechanical) bunny, it gave me chills.

I can't wait to watch this movie again, and I don't want to say too much about it if you haven't seen it.

Go rent it!

~JB
Post edited by -justin- on

Comments

• Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited August 2002
    Options
    this was a blind purchse for me based on recomendations..it was up on Ebay right after i watched it..i didnt like it at all..it seemed to me that they were like going out of thier way to 'Make" a cult movie..anyway its JMHO as many people did like it
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited August 2002
    Options
    You didn't like it, because it SUCKED. The buzz on this was incredible, and so when Justin loaned it to me I was all effin set for a great movie experience; you know, a fun, scary, creepy roller coaster ride a la THE OTHERS.

DONNIE DARKO wanted so badly to be a good creepy flick that I felt almost sad about it.

At one point in DONNIE DARKO, he's in the movie theater watching EVIL DEAD. That was a subliminal hint to rent EVIL DEAD instead of DONNIE DARKO.

Nothing scary here. But (completely wasted, talent-wise) co-star Jena Malone (CONTACT) will be super cute when she grows up, that's fersure.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited August 2002
    Options
    HMmm....well I don't know if it was meant to be a creepy flick as much as it was meant to be a thinker. But I loved it, really great cast, good atmosphere and a very intruiging storyline!
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Micah didn't like it cause there is too much Jesus in it. I think that maybe the director was trying a little too hard for this to be a "cult" movie, and I'm not happy about some of the stuff that happens in the end (voiceover flashbacks, like I need my hand held).

But besides that, I got chills watching it a second time. Not cause it's scary, but just cause it's a little creepy.

And no matter what I do, I can't get those damn 80s songs out of my head!!!!

~JB

[edit: And I didn't hear the "buzz" on this movie, I just went and picked it up from the self (only 1 copy), so my expectations were not all pumped up]