WTB: Reel to Reel media

Options
BlueMDPicker
BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
edited January 2006 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Looking for good condition reel to reel tapes in blues, jazz, rock genres - 7" reels. I've picked-up a few off eBay, as well as locally, and I'm generally impressed with the SQ of most so far.

If you have R2R media you have no further use for, give me a holler. Thanks for looking, and Happy New Year!

Mike
Post edited by BlueMDPicker on

Comments

• DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Looking for good condition reel to reel tapes in blues, jazz, rock genres - 7" reels. I've picked-up a few off eBay, as well as locally, and I'm generally impressed with the SQ of most so far.

If you have R2R media you have no further use for, give me a holler. Thanks for looking, and Happy New Year!

Mike

Mike, keep an eye out for a package on the porch sometime next week i'll get something out by friday.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Wow, Dave - Cool! Can't wait!

Dave is my (ear) "Candy Man". :D
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited December 2005
    Options
    ~bump~ for the Left Coast.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Options
    ~bump~ for the New Year (last one, I promise)
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Last time I listened to R2R was in 1974, set of headphones on listening to 2001 A Space Oddessy, watching the neutrinos(static) on a blank TV screen. :D I may still have that tape, I'll look in the barn.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • DAGLJAM6
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Last time I listened to R2R was in 1974, set of headphones on listening to 2001 A Space Oddessy, watching the neutrinos(static) on a blank TV screen. :D I may still have that tape, I'll look in the barn.

Been there, '79 or '80 Michael Stearns-"Desert" one of those early synthesized "space" music artists did not even realize i'd been up all night to watch the sunrise..... ;)
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I may still have that tape, I'll look in the barn.
    It's probably under that bag of stems and seeds. :D
  • DAGLJAM6
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Sorry , Mike, for that complete thread derailment.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Mike - was there also a 10" reel? I know where a stash of these might still be, as I told them not to throw them away when they cleaned out the estate! They should be somewhere in my storage area at the farm, however I seem to remember them being 10" reels that were used with an Ampex or Ampeg brand r2r. I'll check when I get back to the farm in IA later this month. Doug
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Doug,

Yes, there are 10.5" reels. Most have a different spindle opening (a NAB hub as I recall from several years in the studio), and were normally recorded at higher speed than home decks (15 or 30 ips) in professional recording applications. The "normal" home deck reel is 7" and fits a splined ¼" shaft known as a cine spindle.

Somewhere along the trail, I've seen cine spindle 10.5" reels, but my deck won't support them. If you have a stash of good material on NAB hub, high speed media, it might be worthwhile to find someone with facilities to copy them.

Mike
  • dkg999
    edited January 2006
    Options
    If they are still there, these would of been from the original sound engineer from Westminster Recording Studio in Ft. Dodge IA, and would include some of the original recordings of a group called Firefall which released a couple of albums in the 70's and had a couple of top 40 hits. There were also a lot of reels from the Val Air and Clear Lake ballrooms from the 50's and 60's. The Clear Lake ballroom is where Buddy Holly played right before his plane crashed. That's why I rescued them from the pile going into the dumpster! I'll see if I can find them when I get back to the farm. If these are worth saving I'll move then into the heated storage area and see what kind of reels they are on. Doug.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Hi Doug,

Have you made it to the farm yet? :D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Firefall is cool!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Options
    All I can really recall by them is "You Are the Woman" and "Just Remember I Love You" -- nice stuff, but you're too young to remember them, Chuck. ;)
  • madmax
    edited January 2006
    Options
    but you're too young to remember them, Chuck. ;)

Ah yes, but I am an LP collector... :D
    madmax

• BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    I am an LP collector... :D

Me too. Here's what I was trying to lure Doro over to the vinyl side with -- don't tell, our little secret. :p All 11 European releases on Polydor, plus a special LP single with "Gloria" and "Hey Joe" on the flip, dead mint. The UK cover for "Electric Ladyland" is my favorite.
  • madmax
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Thats a great hendrix collection! The only one I have is electric ladyland. What system are you hooking the new TT to? You should start copying to R2R tape as you play.
    madmax

• BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Options
    The Hendrix set was purchased in Germany in (I believe) 1978. The set booklet is written in German. None of them has been played more than a few times.

The TT is on the big rig with the Carver Lightstar gear and SRSs. Unfortunately, the R2R is upstairs on the "old school" rigs. I need a smaller, and better quality, deck like Ken's Stellavox. $$$ ;)
  • dkg999
    edited January 2006
    Options
    BlueMD - I did make it to the farm, and yes there are some reels in boxes. They measure about 11.5" in diameter and the tape is about 15/16" wide. I am not sure this is all of them, and I need to get to the boxes that are on the other side of a 1949 Piper J3 Cub. It looks like the sticky labels on these have fallen off, so I am not sure which reels have what on them. I think there are some reels more of the size you are looking for in the other boxes!

I just need to convince my parents and relatives that we need to clean out the storage shed (actually a 40x60 heated building) and sell the 40 year accumulation of crap. Believe it or not, I am probably the least of the contributors to the problem!
    DKG999

• BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Cool! Keep us posted.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Nice Hendrix LPs Mike! One of my first LPs that I played on my Lafayette stereo was Electric Ladyland. I had a blacklight in my bedroom with an Iron Butterfly and Doors day-glo poster. Those were the days! I saw both those bands live. The Doors I saw twice, once in '68 and again in '69. **** I'm old!
    Carl

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Me too. Here's what I was trying to lure Doro over to the vinyl side with -- don't tell, our little secret. :p All 11 European releases on Polydor, plus a special LP single with "Gloria" and "Hey Joe" on the flip, dead mint. The UK cover for "Electric Ladyland" is my favorite.

outstanding Jimi collection..!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Thanks guys! Last time that boxed set was opened, before yesterday, had to be at least 20 years ago.