2»

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2006
    Options
    beardog03 wrote:
    okay, how did you do that +- thing ?

Bear, if you are running a windows system, go to programs, accessories, system tools, and finally CHARACTER MAP. Most of the symbols you would want to use are there ie: ±, ®, ¶, ¢, £, etc...

You can copy and paste directly from Character Map or if you click on the symbol, the keystroke will be displayed. ie: (hold down)Alt. + 0177 = ±, Alt + 0162 = ¢ and so forth. I pretty much have the keystrokes for the symbols I use frequently memorized, but I still need to go to the Character Map from time to time.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • wbz
    wbz Posts: 18
    edited January 2006
    Options
    For around $100 you can't beat a pair of AKG K240M headphones. Flat response, nice bass, extremely comfortable. Before you buy anything else you should at least listen to a pair.
  • mulveling
    mulveling Posts: 505
    edited January 2006
    Options
    IMO headphones like the SA5000, HD650, and K1000 (and probably K701 though I've not heard it) are not reference level, at least in single ended configurations. Good yes, but let's not get prospective buyers' hopes up too much.

Also, at the very high end open headphones don't have inherent advantages over closed cans. The Sony R10 and Audio Technica L3000 are two reference level closed headphones, really their only open dynamic competetion would be the Sony Qualia 010, maybe the Grado PS1.

Moderately priced closed headphones do tend to have a characteristic closed sound that usually manifests itself as midrange weirdness, though. The Sony V6 sounded pretty nasty, the Audio Technica A100ti had a bad midrange, and the AKG K271s, while not suffering midrange weirdness, sounded dry and sterile.
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,523
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Ahh... it's mulveling from headfi.org.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the wealth of info, folks! And thanks for all those links, Joey_V! I think I've decided to try and hear all the cans I can before making a decision. I remember one local store had a pair of Grados (don't know which ones). Since they were boxed up and in a case, I suspect auditions aren't a regular thing, but he's pretty nice so I might be able to try them out. I've never heard anything from Sennheiser (except my mom's wireless headphones...I won't hold that agains them...) and I haven't seen any around. May have to do some searching to find a dealer. But like I *think* I said, it'll be about a year before I get into this, so I have some time.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the info!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2006
    Options
    If you have a BB/Magnolia, or just a Magnolia near you, I know the store nearest to me carries Senns, Shures, and a copy other top brands. Then again, its one of the original Magnolias.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I've only been in one (of the three local) Best Buys recently and it didn't have a Magnolia. I think I might should check out the others.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520