Mid woofer is torn

daddy8
daddy8 Posts: 6
edited August 2002 in Troubleshooting
I have an original SDA-SRS pair and one of the 16 mw6503's has a tear on the rubber surround. What causes this? Are they all likely to tear soon? I can hear no distortion so I am tempted to put off replacing it till others tear as well. Any and all advice welcomed.
Post edited by daddy8 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by daddy8
    What causes this?

Volume is toooooo high :lol:

It will not get any better, so call Polk and get a replacement.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2002
    Put some silicone on the torn part of the foam surround. This works pretty well - until u replace it.;)
  • daddy8
    edited August 2002
    Will silicone work with rubber? Also, is it nessasary if the tear is not affecting anything for now?
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    Does it need to be done, I would think so, that is a passive radiator speaker, it need to be airtight to work properly, and the air leaking throught the rip in the surround may make it worse. But hey, if it ain't bothering you, eff it.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • scottvamp
    edited August 2002
    Will silicone work with rubber?
    Yes!
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    Put some silicone on the torn part of the foam surround. This works pretty well - until u replace it.;)

It isn't a foam surround... one of the construction reasons I wanted Polk speakers was that they were using rubber surrounds at a time when many companies were using foam, and I had already seen how foam could deteriorate over time.

I'm curious as to how a tear could happen in one of those rubber surrounds without it being torn by something like a screwdriver... seems odd that it would wear that way to eventually form a rip...
  • daddy8
    edited August 2002
    I am not sure myself. It has a small v shaped rip about 1/4 - 3/8 in width. Ken thinks it is likely to be just the one woofer and offered a replacemet MW6503 at an acomadating price that I will accept. Perhaps I made the nick when I removed the woofer to install donut shaped magnets I got from Polk to shield the tv from the speakers.
  • scottvamp
    edited August 2002
    Holy Cow - it doesn't make a diffence if it is rubber or foam. Silicone is still a short time fix. Yes, rubber is more durable than foam. Most all your top line power sub's use "goodyear" rubber now a days. Also paper covers rock.:rolleyes: