Build around rt5's?

Options
bms
bms Posts: 182
edited January 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I'm new to home theater, so excuse my lack of knowledge. I'm finally upgrading from my old Sansui integrated amp & Bose 901's. I just acquired a set of RT5's and I'm looking to build a home theater system using the rt5's as the main L/R front speakers. I've been reading that these are mostly used as surround speakers, but they worked fine as L/R speakers in a stereo set-up in a rather large room, so I think I'll use them as my mains. I need a suggestion on which center channel, surrounds, and sub to look at. I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR603X reciever, in a medium sized room (13 x 21), but I want the system to be abled to handle a slightly larger room, as well.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
bms
bms
Family Room:
Onkyo TX-RZ920
Outlaw 2200 monoblock amps x 3
Sony UBP-X700
Sony A80J 77” OLED
Polk LSiM 705’s
Polk LSiM 706
Polk LSiM 703’s
Polk RTi4's
Dual SVS PB13-Ultra’s
PC13-Ultra

Bonus Room:
Onkyo TX-SR806
PS3
Panasonic TC-P42G10
Polk RTi10's
Polk CSi5
Polk R50's
SVS PB10-ISD

For sale:
Onkyo TX-SR603X
Post edited by bms on

Comments

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2005
    Options
    For surrounds, I would suggest another pair of RT5s I also have this speaker and LOVE them. I am not so sure about which center to get though
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • bms
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The RT5's are too large for surrounds according to my wife's tastes, so I'll need to look for something smaller. Are there any other suggestions for surrounds, both Polk or another brand? The CSi3 is the center channel suggestion from Polk's site. I also need to decide about a sub. Do I stick with Polk, or not?
    bms
    bms
    Family Room:
    Onkyo TX-RZ920
    Sony UBP-X700
    Sony A80J 77” OLED
    Polk LSiM 705’s
    Polk LSiM 706
    Polk LSiM 703’s
    Polk RTi4's
    Dual SVS PB13-Ultra’s
    PC13-Ultra

Bonus Room:
    Onkyo TX-SR806
    PS3
    Panasonic TC-P42G10
    Polk RTi10's
    Polk CSi5
    Polk R50's
    SVS PB10-ISD

For sale:
    Onkyo TX-SR603X
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2005
    Options
    RT3's would work for surrounds with your RT5's. They're a little smaller.. If you could find an older center, used -- I think maybe a CS250S is the match-- that might be better than mixing the newer models with the old. For a sub, I wouldn't necessarily try to talk you out of a Polk subwoofer, though there are many that feel like subs are the weak point in Polk's line.

Jason
  • fshan
    fshan Posts: 110
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Yup, if you must go smaller then the rt3's are the match. Also the cs250s is your center.
  • bms
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Before I got the RT5's, I had Bose 901's with my old Sansui amp and I thought of adding the Bose VCS-30 Series ii center channel/surrounds for $349.00, but the 901's won't work with my Onkyo receiver because of the special eq that they use. So, the VCS-30 package is sitting in my living room packed & ready to go back to Crutchfield. Do you think they would work with the RT5's?
    bms
    bms
    Family Room:
    Onkyo TX-RZ920
    Sony UBP-X700
    Sony A80J 77” OLED
    Polk LSiM 705’s
    Polk LSiM 706
    Polk LSiM 703’s
    Polk RTi4's
    Dual SVS PB13-Ultra’s
    PC13-Ultra

Bonus Room:
    Onkyo TX-SR806
    PS3
    Panasonic TC-P42G10
    Polk RTi10's
    Polk CSi5
    Polk R50's
    SVS PB10-ISD

For sale:
    Onkyo TX-SR603X
  • fshan
    edited January 2006
    Options
    wouldn't for me "at all"!!!
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited January 2006
    Options
  • bms
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Actually, I did send the Bose center/surrounds back, and I just purchased a pair of R15's and the csi3 center channel. I think it's a much better choice, and it was cheaper - $299.99 from Crutchfield, shipping included. What do you think?
    bms
    Family Room:
    Onkyo TX-RZ920
    Sony UBP-X700
    Sony A80J 77” OLED
    Polk LSiM 705’s
    Polk LSiM 706
    Polk LSiM 703’s
    Polk RTi4's
    Dual SVS PB13-Ultra’s
    PC13-Ultra

Bonus Room:
    Onkyo TX-SR806
    PS3
    Panasonic TC-P42G10
    Polk RTi10's
    Polk CSi5
    Polk R50's
    SVS PB10-ISD

For sale:
    Onkyo TX-SR603X
  • cheddar
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Actually, polk lists the csi1 etc. as the center for the r15s only because they don't officially make a timbre matched center for the series anymore. However, this center comes on sale from frys every now and then. Don't know why, but you can't get this center anywhere else I've seen, and it is the timbre matched center channel for the r15, r30 etc...

Although you won't find the csi25 on the polk product pages, it is basically the two midrange driver version of the csi20.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4463996

If you're looking for a perfect match for the r15s, get the csi25 and send the csi3 back. Maybe too much trouble at this point, but it's also $100 cheaper for the trouble. The csi25 is also a better match for your rt5s.
  • bms
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Yes, but the front speakers are rt5's, and the surrounds are r15's. Does the csi25 match with the rt5's or the r15's? Polk's site says that the csi3 is the match for the rt5's. If not, Crutchfield's gonna love me!
    http://www.polkaudio.com/education/faq.php?article=centermatch
    bms
    Family Room:
    Onkyo TX-RZ920
    Sony UBP-X700
    Sony A80J 77” OLED
    Polk LSiM 705’s
    Polk LSiM 706
    Polk LSiM 703’s
    Polk RTi4's
    Dual SVS PB13-Ultra’s
    PC13-Ultra

Bonus Room:
    Onkyo TX-SR806
    PS3
    Panasonic TC-P42G10
    Polk RTi10's
    Polk CSi5
    Polk R50's
    SVS PB10-ISD

For sale:
    Onkyo TX-SR603X
  • cheddar
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Well, polk is recommending currently available centers to match vintage speakers. The csi25 is a "vintage" center that frys seems to sell every now and then brand new. From what I can gather, the csi25 was sold in markets like south america because people there thought the csi20 was underwhelming with only one midrange driver. So they put two in the csi25 and solved the problem.

So for some reason, polk has an arrangement with frys and they get good deals on rare shipments of polk speakers. They had lsi7s refurbed for only $199 awhile back and they keep getting shipments of csi25s every few months. But they don't last.

Now the csi20 and its international brother the csi25 use the same drivers as the r15, r30, r50 series and was a recommended center. But they discontinued the csi20 and don't "officially" make the csi25. However, you seem to have picked the r15s because they are a close vintage match to the drivers used in the rt5s. A logical choice since the technology in the r15s and rt5s is closer than the newer and more expensive csi3s. I haven't listened to your particular combination, but the csi25 and the r15s are an exact timbre match. So if the r15s sound good with the rt5s, the csi25 should as well. At least it's a better timbre match than having different tweeters on all your sets of speakers. And I believe the csi3 is a different beast entirely.

I noticed your head is spinnning a little from all the choices on your other threads. Stick with it though. You've got some good equipment forming up and the chance to put together a very affordable system that will amaze people who went the bose route.
  • bms
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I bought the r15's and the csi3 from Crutchfield, & I'm waiting for my svs pb-10 to arrive. I will wait & connect the whole system when the sub arrives. Will Onkyo's speaker calibration & microphone that comes with the 603 work well, or should I get the Avia dvd & spl meter bundle?

If the csi3 doesn't match well with the rt5's I'll send it back to Crutchfield & try the csi25. Fry's is currently out of stock, so I can try the csi3 until they get more. When I wire up these speakers it will be my first home theater experience & I'm hopeful it will sound good. All that I'm used to are my Bose 901's & my 30-yr. old Sansui stereo amp. I assume it will be a substantial change.
    bms
    Family Room:
    Onkyo TX-RZ920
    Sony UBP-X700
    Sony A80J 77” OLED
    Polk LSiM 705’s
    Polk LSiM 706
    Polk LSiM 703’s
    Polk RTi4's
    Dual SVS PB13-Ultra’s
    PC13-Ultra

Bonus Room:
    Onkyo TX-SR806
    PS3
    Panasonic TC-P42G10
    Polk RTi10's
    Polk CSi5
    Polk R50's
    SVS PB10-ISD

For sale:
    Onkyo TX-SR603X
  • fshan
    edited January 2006
    Options
    uhhhhh..........the cs250s is the cheapest and best match. only match. and would be the best sounding for the rt5's. period.....and cheapest.........with the emphasisisisisisisit on cheapeast. Only in my opinion of course.