Dagon

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2002 in Music & Movies
A straight to video/DVD release from Stuart Gordon & Brian Yuzna, who brought us "Reanimator", "From Beyond", & other fine films. Another loose adaptation of HP Lovecraft. I only saw the Blockbuster R-rated VHS, but I am hoping that there's a director's cut or uncut DVD out there. A good horror flick to watch if you are feeling brain-dead & want cheap, lurid entertainment.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I'm a big Lovecraft fan (of the books, not really the movies), but I saw this DVD in my Blockbuster, so it'll probably be in yours as well.

Funny Lovecraftian thread with movie info here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86877&highlight=lovecraft

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Ah yes. I have a 1945 paperback anthology called THE SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH & OTHER STORIES by HP Lovecraft. It was an edition specially printed for sending to the boys overseas, altho it seems to me that if I was fightin' in the Pacific the last thing I'd want read is a book about ocean critters that tear you apart. Anyway, the mythos was a minor obsession of mine many moons ago, & I used to have paperbacks of lots of the Arkham House stuff. To my knowledge, there has never been a really top-notch serious attempt at Lovecraft. Gordon & Yuzna have a great deal of fun w/it in their movies, & I like them all, but the Dunwich Horror, altho it had some good actors, was an average film at best, and the special effects are a hoot if you watch them today. Die Monster Die was so bad I couldn't finish it, even w/Karloff in it, & it was supposedly based on the Colour Out of Space. Good old Serling made some passable short-story adaptations for the Night Gallery (Pickman's Model & Cool Air), but that's about all I can think of off the top of my head. There are some other straight-to-vid offerings that reference HP, but I haven't watched them.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited August 2002
    Options
    You can't beat just reading the stuff. The "atmosphere" of the printed words of Lovecraft is undeniable. The movies could never touch that terror that happens mostly in your head. Try it on the next warmish beginning-of-fall twilight thunderstormy kind of evening, when the air is electric with the coming storm; crack open a Lovecraft story and see if it doesn't unsettle you somewhat.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney