Hello, just wanted to say hi...new Polk listener!

Options
ttrentt
ttrentt Posts: 31
edited January 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Been lurking for a few weeks now...

Growing up my dad was into audio... I remember my father had a set of JBL L18s and a set of Polk Audio Monitor 5s (I believe). I know he bought both sets new. Both speakers were great sounding.

Recently I picked up a set of Monitor 10s at the local thrift store for $32.00. They were a little beat up so I refinished them and changed them to red grill cloth. They are now bitchin looking. I was using a set of 1966 KLH Model 22s in the garage, and decided to step these into the garage. I didn't quite realize what I had until I started doing some research about these speakers. I didn't know they had a following. They certainly are ballsy, and my neighbors hate me. I run my Sirius into a shitball Radioshack (Optimus) reciever from the 80s, and they still sound great. If I had more room, I would probably move them back inside to a room to enjoy them more. Oh well.

I saw there were multipe versions of the Monitor 10, how can I determine which set I have?

Happy New Year fellas!

trent
Post edited by ttrentt on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Welcome to the Forum! I'm not familiar with the Monitor series but there are a number of members here that have them. Someone familiar with these may reply to your post. You can also contact Polk Audio's toll free customer service number. The people there are very helpful. You can also send them an email with some pictures. They'll be happy to assist. Again, welcome to Club Polk!
    Carl

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Welcome to the polk Forum. Happy New Year back at you.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Welcome trent,

A couple of things you could do to help indentify your 10s.

1) Post a good picture of one. Minus the red grill? (To each his own.)
    2) Pull the drivers and report back with the dates.
  • ttrentt
    edited January 2006
    Options
    BobMcG wrote:
    Welcome trent,

A couple of things you could do to help indentify your 10s.

1) Post a good picture of one. Minus the red grill? (To each his own.)
    2) Pull the drivers and report back with the dates.

awww! The red grill doesn't look too bad, its different! Ihaven't had a chance to pull the drivers yet, but I wanted to show a pic.

polkmonitor10.jpg
    polkmonitor10cover.jpg
    sansuiA60.jpg

I am driving them with the Sansui and Sirius. I can't stand FM. Long live Howard Stern. Shame Polk doesn't make a Sirius recieiver, I would probably buy it!
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Very nice!

Appear to be the original Monitor 10 with the Peerless tweeters.
  • ttrentt
    edited January 2006
    Options
    BobMcG wrote:
    Very nice!

Appear to be the original Monitor 10 with the Peerless tweeters.

I did a little research...the Peerless is supposed to be the "good" tweeter, right?

I feel bad these things are in the garage, while they sound awesome, I bet they would sound better in a real room. I have a set of JBL L26s, maybe I should trade em out! hahaha!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2006
    Options
    ttrentt wrote:
    I did a little research...the Peerless is supposed to be the "good" tweeter, right?

I feel bad these things are in the garage, while they sound awesome, I bet they would sound better in a real room. I have a set of JBL L26s, maybe I should trade em out! hahaha!

yeah, maybe you should trade them out.. they might just become the new indoor speaker.. and the JBL's might become the garage speakers then. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ttrentt
    edited January 2006
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    yeah, maybe you should trade them out.. they might just become the new indoor speaker.. and the JBL's might become the garage speakers then. :D

haha! That is what I am afraid of! I love vintage JBL. :D :cool:

Can't allow my tastes to change!!! haha!