The Best RTS?

MrNightly
MrNightly Posts: 3,370
edited January 2006 in Video Games
What's the Best RTS game you have played? I'm trying to get my dad one for Xmas, and thought i'd run it by you guys.

He's huge into Generals, and thought there might be something similar. He's played DoW, All the Red Alerts (Obviously) and Masters of Orion quite a bit. (Is there a new one out of that BTW?)

Any ideas, and what you have found to be the best, would be awesome!

Thanks,
David
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Post edited by MrNightly on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited December 2005
    The total war series is pretty fun. Not pure RTS except on the tactical map. You can download some demos from the net to see if it's what he'd like.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2005
    Ya, he's not so into that style... sorta like AoE. He just doesn't dig it as much i guess. Needs TANKS and Bombs i 'supose ;)
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• MSkeezer
    MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
    edited December 2005
    Generals rules all. I haven't played it in months because I lost the first disc :( Wanna make a copy for me and send me the serial key? Please? Please?

Right now I'm playing Yuri's Revenge. The Red Alert games never get old. I'm getting ready to reinstall Tiberian Sun as I type this.

Age of Empires 2 is a great one. Never played the first and third, though. My wife really enjoyed Empire Earth. I thought it was ok. Nothing more than a 3D AoE, IMO.

EDIT:

If he enjoys General, he should try Act of War. Similar graphics, but more complex gameplay. I haven't played it myself, but the reviews for it were good.
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2005
    MSkeezer wrote:
    Generals rules all. I haven't played it in months because I lost the first disc :( Wanna make a copy for me and send me the serial key? Please? Please?

Right now I'm playing Yuri's Revenge. The Red Alert games never get old. I'm getting ready to reinstall Tiberian Sun as I type this.

Age of Empires 2 is a great one. Never played the first and third, though. My wife really enjoyed Empire Earth. I thought it was ok. Nothing more than a 3D AoE, IMO.

EDIT:

If he enjoys General, he should try Act of War. Similar graphics, but more complex gameplay. I haven't played it myself, but the reviews for it were good.

Oh he's played it for years!!! Since it came out, that is :) Anyways, I'll look up Act of War. Sounds like it might be up his ally.

and BTW, if i get a chance, i'll steal his DVD and burn ya one. But only if i get a chance ;) EE was ok. I didn't really get into it that much. I heard EE2 was OUTSTANDING tho.

We'll see.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited December 2005
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2005
    Starcraft eh? Why do you like that one so much?
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited December 2005
    RISE OF NATIONS!

The nation powers are awesome, the historical aspect is awesome...

screen shots make it look just like AoE, but it is really nothing like it.

Warcraft 3 is also a good game. Excellent single player.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited December 2005
    It is a ways off, but check out Rise of Legends screens... its a technology vs magic RTS... early reports indicate it could finally dethrone StarCraft.

http://www.riseoflegends.com/
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2005
    C&C is my all time favorite. Rise of Nations is really good too.
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2005
    lanion wrote:
    It is a ways off, but check out Rise of Legends screens... its a technology vs magic RTS... early reports indicate it could finally dethrone StarCraft.

http://www.riseoflegends.com/

Wow... looks pretty sweet. I'm not really into RTS, but I might even play this one. I like the concept of Tech vs. Magic. That's something that would pull me in I believe.

Is there a release date that you know of yet?

Merry Xmas Eve Everyone!!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited January 2006
    MrNightly wrote:
    Starcraft eh? Why do you like that one so much?

It's a personal preference, but...
    It's it simple enough to keep from overwhelming, but not too simple as to keep all tactics away and it is powered by one of the strongest online communities ever.
    I like a complicated RTS, but everybody sticks with the cheap strategies and tech tree rarely gets used, which takes the fun out of the more complicated ones.
  • ApollosWorld
    ApollosWorld Posts: 6
    edited January 2006
    I have played command and conquer since the beginning. Brotherhood of Nod and all.
    I've played starcraft, empire earth, age of empires and so forth.
    A decent, RECENT game is Act of War by Atari.

It's much like command and conquer except it's a title that is much newer.
    The only downside is in solo play you can only be one army (task force talon)
    In multiplayer you can be one of three armies.

The graphics are excellent. The cutscenes are like a grade b movie but your not getting it to watch a movie.

Fun: 8
    Graphics 9
    Multiplayer 9
    Learning curve : Easy (if into RTS)
  • Joshtalgia
    Joshtalgia Posts: 11
    edited January 2006
    Starcraft all the way.

Just got done playing some games with my buds on b.net actually.

I'm a huge gamer and I'm addicted to World of Warcraft - And Starcraft drags me away from that at times....some food for though. I love me some Starcraft =)