Monitor 4 drivers

Options
Fisherdude
Fisherdude Posts: 2
edited January 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Happy New Year!

Ahhh, another newb with questions...

I understand that asking questions on your first post is usually frowned upon, but at least I've done a little research first, so I'll try to make it as painless as possible!

I have a gorgeous pair of Monitor 4's that I just acquired. Unfortunately, one of the midbass drivers has a voice coil that is locked up tight. The other one sounds just fabulous. Both tweeters are fine.

In taking a little more detailed look at it, the magnet has come loose from the basket, and has jammed the voice coil. The vc works, it isn't open, and it's making very faint music, but obviously it's not fixable.

The model number on the back of the driver is MW6502, and these are available through Polk.

I did some searching on ebay and found several completed auctions, and here comes the question...several MW6502's had "5-JR" on them, instead of M4. So, this driver was installed in more than one model of the Monitor series. Are there any differences between MW6502's that were installed in/designed for different series? If I find another driver that was originally installed in a 5-JR, will it work, or will it not be a match for the other one?

Any input would be most appreciated, as would any leads on a used replacement. I'm definitely keeping these speakers! They sound lovely, especially with female vocals, which seem to be an ever-increasing segment of my usual listening. And, I have a spot for a nice pair of bookshelf-sized speakers.

Thanks in advance!
Clay
Post edited by Fisherdude on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I would think that as long as it's the same driver #, you should be fine. Just be aware that a used driver you might get from ebay could have issues as well... or develop problems in shipping. The old glue on the magnets is prone to deteriorating and causing exactly what you have now...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Fisherdude
    Fisherdude Posts: 2
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I'm leaning toward popping for the new one, especially considering I got them for practically nothing.