Vintage Polk Monitor 5 questions...

Options
Sax
Sax Posts: 70
edited December 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I have a pair of polk monitors. On the back they say "5" on the stamp under where it says "monitor", however upon investigation on this page

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/service/models/modelpartslist.php3?model=monitor

I'm thinking I have the monitor 5b's. Now, granted as I've been reading around many of you guys have even better models, these are by far the best sounding speakers I've ever heard...until I blew one of the tweeters, that is.

Here's the lowdown. I took one of them apart, and I have the SL2000 tweeter, the MW6502 midrange, and the SW83 passive radiator. The only thing I can't verify for sure is if I have the BE0500-A crossover or not because I couldn't find a model number anywhere in my investigating.

Given that, my question before you is, what should I do for a replacement tweeter for this (apparently) Monitor 5b? I've already read around the forums quite a bit and saw mention of a RD0194-1 as being the replacement to get over another SL2000 because it has a silk dome and is of course smoother as a result. If I do this though, would I need to change the crossover?

And, while I'm speaking of the crossover, is it recommended to upgrade the crossover for this speaker model? Or will just dropping the RD0194-1 into place do the trick.

Oh yeah, and lastly does anyone know, if I buy the RD0194-1 for the monitor 5b will I have to modify anything or should it just drop-in to replace a SL2000?

Thanks.

EDIT: also, how do I get the "club price" on replacement parts? Just by signing up for the forum? or is there another step I need to take?

EDIT: and lastly, I promise last edit! - what's the power rating then, on these speakers? On polk's site it says the monitor 5 will handle 20-125w/per channel, seen here, and just to double check - this is my amplifier (yes, I know its not that great but I'm on a really tight budget and it was better than my old one)
Monitor 5b
RTA 11T
Rega Planar 2 (1970's)
Adcom GFA-545II
Post edited by Sax on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Call polk C S and mention that you are a member and you will receive the discount,it would be helpful if you have the sn# of the speaks,if possible,thereplacement should be a drop in, careful not to discard the gasket,you will need it,also pay attention to the wiring,I have replaced tweets in 11t's and 1c's and they were drop ins,for me it was very easy, I'm sure others will chime in,welcome to the machine :)

EDIT;--your amp should be fine, just don't overdrive it (clip),I prefer seperates, I just sold a pair of 5jr's and they were powered by an amp that had 200 watts/ch and they sounded great,just give 'em good clean power,as for the crossover wait until you replace the tweets,then decide,there are plenty of threads on this subject(use the search function) and also plenty of folks,including myself that can/will give you some advice. That being said, let us know how they sound after you replace the tweets,and I do not know of many/any that have done so and not been pleased with the newer ones. Hope this helps :) Again, welcome
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Sax
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Thanks for your input, I didn't know if the serial numbers would have been helpful or not, so given your request for them, here they are:

it says "monitor series" then underneath:

5 60264 and
    5 60210 respectively.
    Monitor 5b
    RTA 11T
    Rega Planar 2 (1970's)
    Adcom GFA-545II
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2005
    Options
    george pretty well nailed it.

Sax,
    If you want an SL2000, they're around. If not you'll need to replace both tweeters with the silk domes. The RD0194-1 are drop ins for the 2000's, and no cross-over changes are needed.

Many folks have upgraded cross-overs in their older Polks, but mostly in the higher value models, e.g., the SDA's. It's not that you couldn't upgrade your 5', or that they might not benefit from being upgraded, it's more a question a speakers value. Monitor 5's are essentially $100, if in very nice shape. Most x-over mod's are being done in speakers worth several times more.

Welcome to the Club...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Sax
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I ordered my RD0194-1's monday... its thursday and I haven't gotten them yet... I was wondering about how long has it taken for you guys to get yours on average?

Also...they were more expensive than I thought they were... the total for two came to about $100... does anyone know why they're not listed on the price list?
    Monitor 5b
    RTA 11T
    Rega Planar 2 (1970's)
    Adcom GFA-545II
  • Tour2ma
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The mail is kinda busy this time of year.

Did you mention that you are a forum member and get the discount?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Sax
    edited December 2005
    Options
    yes I did... I believe. What's the price? after discount do you know?
    Monitor 5b
    RTA 11T
    Rega Planar 2 (1970's)
    Adcom GFA-545II
  • Tour2ma
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I remember in the 40's with free shipping, but that's fairly old. It's possible the price has increased.

You can always give Helen a call and double check.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Sax
    edited December 2005
    Options
    $103.92 total, :'( but they'll be worth it :). I was thinking they'd be a lot cheaper than that because I was going off the prices on the price list... which was saying like $16 or something for a standard replacement driver.... but the RD0194-1 wasn't even listed but I figured it wouldn't but *much* more. However I can't even verify now that I was looking at the right list because the prices do in fact seem to have been updated, and the prices seemingly higher.
    Monitor 5b
    RTA 11T
    Rega Planar 2 (1970's)
    Adcom GFA-545II
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Shipping isn't free to everyone, apparently.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2005
    Options
    They should've been $48/tweeter. When I ordered my mw6503 drivers, they were also $48/driver, and the total charge was $101.76.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Tour2ma
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Seems right... and I remember now that they have to charge tax.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Sax
    edited December 2005
    Options
    oh, man, these kick ****. My monitor 5's sound every bit as good as some of the new polks I've auditioned over at tweeter. I'm digging these tweeters... I wonder, would these benefit from new drivers? Or should I just look around for some monitor 7's or 10's? I'd like some monitor 12's even but the pair I found on ebay was local pickup-only and out of my price range anyhow. Cuz well, I'm broke at the moment so these 5b's will be lasting me a while

edit: and to think, these tweeters aren't even broken in yet ;)

edit: or maybe now that I think of it, its RTA 11T wouldn't be bad either, it looks happy. I want something for my next pair that will do me for a long time for my two-channel set up. big speakers are cool. Having a small bookshelf that sounds really good is one thing but something about the vintage polks when they're 6' tall that makes a statement :)
    Monitor 5b
    RTA 11T
    Rega Planar 2 (1970's)
    Adcom GFA-545II
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Sax wrote:
    oh, man, these kick ****. My monitor 5's sound every bit as good as some of the new polks I've auditioned over at tweeter. I'm digging these tweeters... I wonder, would these benefit from new drivers? Or should I just look around for some monitor 7's or 10's? I'd like some monitor 12's even but the pair I found on ebay was local pickup-only and out of my price range anyhow. Cuz well, I'm broke at the moment so these 5b's will be lasting me a while

edit: and to think, these tweeters aren't even broken in yet ;)

edit: or maybe now that I think of it, its RTA 11T wouldn't be bad either, it looks happy. I want something for my next pair that will do me for a long time for my two-channel set up. big speakers are cool. Having a small bookshelf that sounds really good is one thing but something about the vintage polks when they're 6' tall that makes a statement :)

My first pair of Polks were a pair of 5b's. I now (for the last 19 years) have RTA-11t's. They really are just larger versions of the 5b's. Atleast that's why I bought them so many years ago. I've always been impressed with the large sound of the 5b's and that's what turned me onto to Polk 20+ years ago.

Good luck on you quest for larger Polks, and SDA's will even sound better.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Sax wrote:
    I'm digging these tweeters... I wonder, would these benefit from new drivers?

No, not unless they are not working or have a problem. Stick with the tweeters.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    edited December 2005
    Options
    +1...

It would be worth keeping an eye out for 7's or 10's. The Mon 12's aren't all that.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• mlhm5
    mlhm5 Posts: 217
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Sax wrote:
    I have a pair of polk monitors. On the back they say "5" on the stamp under where it says "monitor", however upon investigation on this page

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/service/models/modelpartslist.php3?model=monitor

I'm thinking I have the monitor 5b's. Now, granted as I've been reading around many of you guys have even better models, these are by far the best sounding speakers I've ever heard...until I blew one of the tweeters, that is.

Here's the lowdown. I took one of them apart, and I have the SL2000 tweeter, the MW6502 midrange, and the SW83 passive radiator. The only thing I can't verify for sure is if I have the BE0500-A crossover or not because I couldn't find a model number anywhere in my investigating.

Given that, my question before you is, what should I do for a replacement tweeter for this (apparently) Monitor 5b? I've already read around the forums quite a bit and saw mention of a RD0194-1 as being the replacement to get over another SL2000 because it has a silk dome and is of course smoother as a result. If I do this though, would I need to change the crossover?

And, while I'm speaking of the crossover, is it recommended to upgrade the crossover for this speaker model? Or will just dropping the RD0194-1 into place do the trick.

Oh yeah, and lastly does anyone know, if I buy the RD0194-1 for the monitor 5b will I have to modify anything or should it just drop-in to replace a SL2000?

Thanks.

EDIT: also, how do I get the "club price" on replacement parts? Just by signing up for the forum? or is there another step I need to take?

EDIT: and lastly, I promise last edit! - what's the power rating then, on these speakers? On polk's site it says the monitor 5 will handle 20-125w/per channel, seen here, and just to double check - this is my amplifier (yes, I know its not that great but I'm on a really tight budget and it was better than my old one)

There are some peerless tweeters from a Monitor 5 on Epay now 12/25
    This Seller has parted out a pair of 5's
  • Tour2ma
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Saw those... Just sad to see every single part from a pair listed.

mlhm5,
    Might want to edit your quotes a bit...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli