Sub project

Toxis
Toxis Posts: 5,116
edited December 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I'm looking to build a dual 8" home sub. I'll be using a 2ch Rotel amp (bridgable) to run it and still am looking into crossover options. What I want to know is if anyone here has any experience with Tang Band drivers. Partsexpress has THESE subs on sale right now so I'm thinking of picking up a pair. It's either those or THESE. I have a friend who has the ones from eBay (SpeakerCraft is the manufacturer turns out) and they sound really impressive. I'm not terribly worried about how low they go because I'm going to be using this for my DJ setup in the basement and I'm going more for output and abuse without dumping a lot of money into the project. Plus, they need to keep up with my Klipsch RB-35's in output so they need to get pretty loud.

Also, does anyone have a box building program to let me know how much airspace the TB drivers need? I'd appreciate it!
Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
Post edited by Toxis on

Comments

• phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited November 2005
    I think you're better off with the Tangbands. I think shipping is free with PE until Jan so you can save some money there. Without any T/S specs, you'd be guessing at the size of your enclousures.
    I think if you google for WinISD or unibox, you can find a download site for them.

Check out diysubwoofers.org. Some nice discussion about your options.

Good luck

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited November 2005
    Those Tang Band drivers are 84 db efficient... that's gonna take some pushing to work with 96 db efficient Klipsch's. They'll max out at ~105 db, whereas the klipsch's will go to ~117 db.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited December 2005
    A friend shot down an idea I had the other day but wanted to see if any of you might think differently. I was considering building a sub with a passive radiator instead of a port but fire both straight out. He told me the phase wouldn't work but how is that any different than say the SDA's? Then I started thinking about it and couldn't think of any subs other than the Ovature 1812 that has a PR out front along with the driver (but even it's PR is a different size). Thoughts??
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2005
    He's right about the phase. If you want to go PR, put it on a different side.
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited December 2005
    Toxis wrote:
    He told me the phase wouldn't work but how is that any different than say the SDA's? Thoughts??

It's not any different. A PR is almost the same as a ported enclosure, except you are using the mass of the radiator instead of the mass of air in the port. They just work better in small enclosures. It doesn't matter which side you put it on.

The only difference with a PR and a BR design is faster rolloff below Fb, and higher group delay.
    Graham
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2005
    I've had 8" car sub boxes with the speaker and the PR both facing forward.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited December 2005
    Unrelated, but the 500watt PE plate amp is $70 off until 5pm today

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-806&dotd=122105
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i