Signs

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2002 in Music & Movies
To me, it had tremendous potential, but was ultimately disappointing. Although I liked 6th Sense better than Unbreakable, I'm definitely not in the "intense hatred of Unbreakable" camp, & that movie seemed to inspire a big backlash from the 6th Sense lovers who were hanging their hopes for the "next great director" on MNS. However, Signs seems to have been crafted with input from Ron Howard or some other big time director who thinks that in order to make a film acceptable to everyone, idiosyncratic style needs to be levelled out via the maudlin. MNS is at his best when his characters seem distant & the events don't seem quite real. Signs is every bit as creepy as the first two, but during many of the "warm, accessible" moments, MNS seemed be a trying too hard to be funny & "family-oriented", & this detracted from the overall impact. I think MNS has shown us he does one thing as well as anybody has ever done it, & as far as I'm concerned, that's nothing to be ashamed of. I hope that he learns from this movie and comes back with his best one yet. I give this my half-hearted recommendation, meaning that it's worth the price of a discount matinee, but not full price. However, I think that people who found the first two films too distant & stylized may like this one better.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Personally I liked it.
    It put a different spin on what we originally thought it was gonna be about and a definite spin on Crop Circles...
    It had an eerie pace and used fore shadowing and flashbacks as a way of throwing subtle hints as to what to expect...
    I wont sit here and critique this movie compared to his other 2 cause that does an injustice to him and the movie...Though I dont like directors that act in their movies, unless it's Kevin Smith,
    This was NOT Unbreakable, this was NOT Sixth Sense, it was something different and should be viewd as such...

Overall I would recommend it and would give it a huge thumbs up...
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited August 2002
    Options
    What smells like shoe polish?
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend