Fisher CA-800

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited August 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
Well, I finally got the Fisher CA-800 'the fish' yesterday evening. I got it from Russ as a swap for a Yammie C-40 preamp. If you ever buy something from Russ, it's always packed to with stand a nuclear blast.

Anyway, cosmetically, this thing is just like brand new. The big bonus is the analog V/U meters, BDT LOVES him some V/U's I tell ya.......Anyway, after admiring it for a few minutes, I set about setting it up for demo. I used the AMC cd8b for a source ( I also bagged a Fish tuner for 2.50 on ebay but haven't hooked it up yet) and the Boston Acoustics A40's. I used Signal Cables for IC's and standard AR 16awg wire. My only **** is the spring clips in the back, but what do you expect.

People will scoff about anything that Fisher makes being crap (except maybe thier tube gear) but I'll tell you, this thing is a FIND. 100wpc into 8ohms .09%THD so it has power to spare. So how does it sound? In a word, SMOOTH. A great match for the BA's which I have reviewed previously. If you are looking for incredibe detail or a bright sound, this is not the amp for you. If you are looking for a very smooth, very fun to listen to amp, this is it. Mated with the BA's, I noted no glaring defects. No harshness, no brightness....just very laid back and smooth. Listening to Chris Rea's 'Texas'..man, all I could thing is 'that's how it's supposed to sound'. Billy Paul's 'Mrs. Jones'....same thing.

I didn't hook them up to the DQ's as I noted at Casa Gates that it didn't particularly like big drops in impedence, nor would I ever use it with the DQ's anyway. The Polks, same deal. Just to keep you updated on the batting order:

The fish/A40's (fish tuner and Techincs POS 5 disc changer) will go in the office rig

The Dave /Realistic TM-175 tuner/Tosh CD player will go into the garage rig with my big ol' Pioneer CS-88's

The Marantz 2215 will move from the garage rig into the magic closet after a good cleaning. I may mate it up later with the Polk R2's in a location to be named later

Just keeping y'all informed on the gear status.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Glad you are enjoying it, it is a solid, heavy s-o-b, and does everything it's supposed to do. I'm glad it is staying in the family.....

Impedance drops? I don't recall from your last visit, refresh my memory....I used it on the whole-house rig for quite some time, with nothing short of great results....

I highly suggest this unit, for a 2ch rig on the cheap, they can be had for next to nothing.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Options
    matter o fact.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1371424171

check it out fellas.....

actually what I meant was, when it was running 3 sets of speakers simultaneously (which cuts the impedence down to 2 ohms, doesn't it?) it seemed to sound somewhat vieled. The DQ's reportedly will dip down in that range. It's a moot point anyway as I won't be subjecting it to anything like that anyway.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I see what you are going at now, actually, that 'drop' in volume came from engaging the 'protection' on the house rig switchbox itself....

I only used the 'protection' with more than 2 pairs running, at any 'real' volume. That thing will run 2 (6-8ohm) pair easy, all day long, don't be scared of doing it if the need ever arises, it will take it like a champ....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Options
    So....Russman has the C-40 now? He need's that T-70 bad.....:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Options
    A **** can always use a good tuner. I'm not so sure I will be keeping the C40, I'm just not sure its a good mate for the rig its in now.....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Man I miss V/U meters!!! My Carver used to have them and I want some for my system.

Is there any way or product available that could be integrated either at the preamp or amp stage? Thats V/U meters of course, something like a string of 7 or pairs or whatever.

Hbomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Options
    hmmmmm......yeah, a good tuner.....hmmmmm

where is the bid at?

BDT
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Those V/U's have nothing on my "big red jumping LED meters":D
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I think Russman's the high bidder at $1.07:rolleyes:
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Options
    LED meters, schmed-meters.......

Analog V/U's are where it's at baby....

BDT
  • HBombToo
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I surmise then the answer to my question is no... I would have to buy a new receiver?
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Options
    HBomb, not that I know of.........

Why did you ditch the Carver?? Dumbass Army grunt......

BDT
  • HBombToo
    edited August 2002
    Options
    It smoked big time. I figured it was a fuse or something and after I took it apart the boards were totally burnt. In retrospect I should have kept its power supplies but my Army Grunt **** flipped out and thats when I entered into the abyss of HT.

Oh well, so long Carver.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    HBombToo

Yeah....that happens when you get drunk and spill a cold one in them......
  • HBombToo
    edited August 2002
    Options
    HOW IN THE EFF DID YOU KNOW THAT???????????????????

and to think I was trying a cover up over here!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    You can't fool us man.......:D