FS: SDA-SRS - Holiday Sale Price

13»

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2005
    I care...

Jesse,
    Don't get me wrong. It is great when folks pass super deals, but not all are in the position to do so all the time.

It's also great when a member posts free speakers, that a Club bud picks it up and holds it in his basement for months for an idiot halfway across the country.

Act as grumpy as you like, but as long as I know where you live, you're still on my Christmas card list...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited December 2005
    And you're on mine Bruce.....only I didn't get around to sending any out this year. :o
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2005
    joeparaski wrote:
    Ricardo....YES YES YES... I want the speakers. Just let me know when I can come and get them and I'll take some time off and drive there.

Some members on the forum hold you in high regard and you've been on the forum for a while now, so I do believe that I am getting a good set of speakers.

I know they are not perfect, but that's ok. I would like to know what I need to do to get them in excellent shape. You guys have been Polkies for a while now, and know what needs to be done in terms of upgrades, so I'll be asking for guidance once I get them home.

If you guys would like to know a little bit of my history in regards to audio, let me know where I should post a "bio". I've got an interesting setup, at least "I" think it's interesting.

Joe,

The one thing you'll want to do is replace the tweeters; you've probably read about it already. I ordered them and have the 8 new tweeters at home in the box. Since the TL's are different I won't need them. I already talked with Polk CS and they will take them back and send me the right ones... but it could save you some time/money if you get them from me...let me know if you want them; they go for around 51 each with tax and everything...maybe a little more to Canada, not sure. Since I'd have to pay for the freight back, I would give them to you at 48 each, and place a new order for the ones for the TL's. Let me know; I can go either way...

Ricardo.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited December 2005
    I think that hooking other Polksters up on the FM is a good thing. The price of these speakers on e-bay is going crazy, but my point is that the man set a price, someone responded with cash in hand, willing to buy them right now, drive to pick them up and the seller said he would sell to who he wanted to because of the status of the buyer being a newbie. That my friend is BS. One last thing in all of the other post I saw no one else stepped up to the plate to buy these great deal speakers or even put in an offer, so the deal to "ESTABLISHED" polksters might not have been to appealing. Just my opinion not try to start nothing.

CRj ;)
  • Ricardo
    edited December 2005
    You're entitled to an opinion.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!

:)

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited December 2005
    Thank you sir,

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

CRj
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2005
    Congrats to both buyer & seller! Enjoy your speakers.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited December 2005
    it's club polk, if it wasn't some sort of drama over a sale it wouldn't be us
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited December 2005
    Ricardo, yes I will take the new tweeters also. What I'll do is run it with the ones currently in the speakers and make sure that my multi-amp system is functioning correctly, after all, I wouldn't want to blow my new tweeters.

Hmmm...I posted a lengthy post here last night but it didn't show...I'll need to retype it tonight...meanwhile...back to work.
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2005
    Mr. JoeP congrats on your new speaks, they should give you years of enjoyment. Please post up your views.

Mr. Rookie congrats on your sale.

Mr. Rivera +1

That said, as far as this deal, put me in bed ( I got the bottom rack)with Mr. Grumpy, who is very much on my list.
    I care very much.

What goes around often comes around.
    My first year here was a learning experience.

RT1
  • joeparaski
    edited December 2005
    Ok guys, now I need your views on a subwoofer and a center channel speaker. I suppose we should change where this is posted too.
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Ricardo
    edited December 2005
    For the sub... you'll get a chance to listen to the entry level SVS when you come down over...pretty impressive for the price... SVS is highly recommended around here.

SOPA
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited December 2005
    For the center channel - with the replacement tweets, the LSiC is supposed to match up well. (that was what I was going to do with the SRS's - Unfortunately WAF stepped in and now I am just going to have to settle on a pair of LSi15's... :D )

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2005
    Oh you poor thing!!! WAAAAA! :D
    McLoki wrote:
    For the center channel - with the replacement tweets, the LSiC is supposed to match up well. (that was what I was going to do with the SRS's - Unfortunately WAF stepped in and now I am just going to have to settle on a pair of LSi15's... :D )

Michael
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2005
    You won't need a center channel with the SRS's, Joe. That's the beauty of SDA. The imaging is so good, it makes them unnecessary. In fact, you might not need the surrounds.

Set your receiver/decoder/pre-amp to no center and set up the SRS's forward of the television with no toe in. Try it this way first, I think you'll find out what I mean very quickly. Do not put the TV directly in between them, for this will muddle the soundstage.

Congrats, man. You'll gonna like them.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,707
    edited December 2005
    A center channel isn't needed for music, but for HT use, I found a center channel improves the clarity of the dialog greatly, even with SDA, especially if you are sitting off center. Only one listener can be seated dead center.

The CSi40 seems a perfect match for my SDA1C's, after getting the new tweeters in them.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2005
    amulford wrote:
    You won't need a center channel with the SRS's, Joe. That's the beauty of SDA. The imaging is so good, it makes them unnecessary. In fact, you might not need the surrounds.

Set your receiver/decoder/pre-amp to no center and set up the SRS's forward of the television with no toe in. Try it this way first, I think you'll find out what I mean very quickly. Do not put the TV directly in between them, for this will muddle the soundstage.

Congrats, man. You'll gonna like them.
    I gotta disagree with Anthony on this one. Yeah it can be done and there are those "Hard Core" 2 channel guys that are convinced it is as good, but I'm not one of them. IMHO it IS NOT the same or AS GOOD for movies. I could care less about mulitchannel music because I don't do it. But for today's movies you need a center, surrounds and sub to make it work the way it was intended. Just as I am adamant that 2 channel is right for music, I am equally adamant the M-C is the way for movies.

As many who have reviewed the new SDA technology Surroundbar have stated, it's pretty darn good, but it has it's limitations. It's your rig to set up the way you want....but even with the SDA's for my HT I want surround speakers, not just simulated "surround".
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • amulford
    edited December 2005
    Well I could be wrong about the surrounds, because you are right about the Surroundbar.

As far as the center, If I was to get one for the SDA's, and I was changing the tweeters, I would first find out what the new tweeters are made from. Get a center with the same tweeter.

That being said, and this being his first SDA's, I would say give it a shot without one. What's he got to lose???
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2005
    amulford wrote:
    That being said, and this being his first SDA's, I would say give it a shot without one. What's he got to lose???
    There is so much information that comes from the center channel that tends to get a little muddled (for lack of a better word) when using a "phantom center" setting. I just think it is too important to forego.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • amulford
    edited December 2005
    That is true, but I have tried phantom center with just my RT2000p's with some success. Agreed it is not as good as having the center blended in, but not unbearably so...

However, if you want to build a HT. You NEED to have a matching soundstage. Especially up front. Since they don't build the SDA's any more, you can't REALLY do that without building one from parts. That's my only reason for telling him ...

That has been done with some success.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2005
    I know of at least one member who is using a SDA-CRS as the center to blend with 1C's.

RT1
  • joeparaski
    edited December 2005
    Ricardo, there is a guy on this forum selling Svs 25-31pc+. I like the looks of that cylindrical subwoofer. Is it any good though? I don't know the brand.
  • joeparaski
    edited December 2005
    Since I currently have a 2-channel system, I picked up a Carver DPL-33 Dolby Pro-Logic sound processor which will allow me to add rear speakers and a center channel. Since my current setup is Tri-Amped, I figured I'd move the Tri-Amped ESS Rockmonitors to the rear and Bi-Amp the SRS up front.....I read that the SRS are already setup for bi-amping, the question is, will I need another electronic crossover or is there something special with the SRS?
  • joeparaski
    edited December 2005
    And before you guys jump all over me....I KNOW that I don't need all that amplification and it probably won't sound any better than a one amp setup. But I have all this stuff and I like "overkill". I envision my system in this configuration.....Bi-amped SRS up front...Tri-amped ESS in back....single amp for the center.....and an amplified subwoofer. I already have all the amps, I may be missing one electronic crossover for the SRS, and of course I'll need a sub and a center.
  • Ricardo
    edited December 2005
    joeparaski wrote:
    Ricardo, there is a guy on this forum selling Svs 25-31pc+. I like the looks of that cylindrical subwoofer. Is it any good though? I don't know the brand.

Joe,

SVS is one of the best sub brands, and highly recommended in this forum; I've got the entry level and love it; the 25-31pc+ is a couple of steps above the food chain...you can contact SVS people with your room dimensions and they'll help you out and recommend the right one... I'll let others answer the bi-amp/external crossover questions.

http://www.svsound.com/index.cfm

Heading down to Florida now; will have limited access to internet; let me know when you plan to come down.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

SOPA
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited December 2005
    joeparaski wrote:
    I have the SVS 25-31CS+ (the passive version of the same sub) and it is great. They have one model above it (one single woofer model anyway) called the ultra. SVS has said that the + woofer is 80% of the Ultra woofer for about %40 of its price and is the price/performace leader of their line.

I really like my 25-31 and with one port plugged it is pretty flat down to 20 hz and plays amazingly loud. All the SVS subs are pretty well thought of here at Club Polk. There are definately subs that are smaller and maybe some that will play louder, but I think SVS is the price/performance king.

For music the 25-31 will be great. For movies (were I to purchase new) I would get the 20-39. (plays a little deeper at the cost of a little volume) I purchased mine used (hence the 25-31 for me with 90% movie usage) and will not be trading it in any time soon unless I can snag an ultra for a great price.

The nice thing about the cylinders is if you want a little more volume, you can always add another one if you need to for not alot of floor space.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • joeparaski
    edited December 2005
    Ricardo,you need to pm me with your phone number. Joe