Buying Tubes?

Options
dkg999
dkg999 Posts: 5,647
edited December 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
My new Jolida CDP will be the first piece of equipment I have had to order tubes for. My other tube amps were pretty well taken care of by a friend who was an electronics technician in the heyday of tube equipment. When I order tubes to try out in the Jolida, I notice that there are several options that places like tube depot have. I am assuming I need to pay the upcharge for a matched set of tubes? Do I need to worry about the balanced triodes option? Or should I just leave the cover on and enjoy the music :D
DKG999
HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
Post edited by dkg999 on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2005
    Options
    No need to pay extra for balanced triode/matched tubes. Most circuits will balance itself without the need for matched and balanced triode tubes. I'm just talking about small signal tubes. For power tubes you will have to get them matched, but you're not there, YET :D .

You can also check out www.thetubestore.com and www.triodeelectronics.com I've dealt with both and never had a problem.

Your Jolida is using 12AX7, right? Check out Ei 12AX7 and Sovtek 12AX7LPS. Excellent tubes.

Maurice
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited December 2005
    Options
    From a different thread, Dragon liked the Sovtek LPS a lot. Sounds like Russ also like that, too. I found this from the bay at very good price:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5843209160&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    I ordered 12 of these (12x8.5 = 102) so that I was qualified for ebay coupon and free shipping. Total was $93.5, not bad for less than $8 each shipped. Please let know if you want some. I am sure you can do the math :-)

-fredv-
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Please don't waste your money on Cryo'd tubes...everything else is fair game.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited December 2005
    Options
    fredv wrote:
    From a different thread, Dragon liked the Sovtek LPS a lot. Sounds like Russ also like that, too. I found this from the bay at very good price:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5843209160&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    I ordered 12 of these (12x8.5 = 102) so that I was qualified for ebay coupon and free shipping. Total was $93.5, not bad for less than $8 each shipped. Please let know if you want some. I am sure you can do the math :-)

That's the same Ebay seller I got mine from.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I have a Jolida JD100 cd player too that I run with my Krell / Dynaudio bookshelf rig. I've rolled a bunch of tubes in the Jolida to the point where I've practically stripped the threads on the cover screws from changing out tubes every month.

The tubes that Organ recommended, the Ei 12AX7 and the Sovtek 12AX7LPS are pretty good for modern day tubes. I found the Sovteks to have a little more "sparkle" in the treble than the Ei's. Both are good depending on your personal preference and system synergy. I prefered the Ei's in this application with my setup.

You can also substitute 5751 tubes in the Jolida but you will lose some gain so you will have to add volume on your preamp to make up the difference.

I settled down and am currently running NOS 1960's Sylvania 12AX7s in the Jolida.