Opinions please

EJ
EJ Posts: 42
edited August 2002 in Speakers
I am still wrestling with a solution for my new HT room speakers. I want the best sound for movies, dvd-a and other surround music. The room is 15'LX11'. As I can't decide on a combination of rt35i"s and the FX500i at the sides, how about this.

For the front I am going with my rt2000p's for mains, cs400 center.

I can pick up two 35i's for the side surrounds and have one for the rear already. I can now look for the FX500i's and place them at the sides for moview. I will move the 35i's to the rear wall towards the corners for 5.1 music. This will leave me with 6.1 with the remaining 35i. My receiver is a Denon 3801 so I should be able to swith from the FX series to the 35i's with my remote.

Opinions please. I believe this will give me better results using direct speakers for the dvd-a and the dipole/bipole for movies.

Thanks for all feedback

Regards
Emmett
Post edited by EJ on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    The left over rt35i use for surround back with the other one.The Denon supports 2 surround back speakers.
    Switching between the fx500's and the rt35i's for side is what Denon does best.But placement in the rear corner you might want to rethink that.
    I would place all the rt35i's on the back wall.Cut the back wall in forth's.Placing them all at the same height like 72 inches to the tweeter all the way across.Ust the surround back channels in the middle and the surround "B" channel out to the sides of the back wall.
    This would allow you to use the flexability of the Denon....which is very cool.
    By the way the fx/500's in dipolar sound pretty good with music..I was shocked the first time I used them that way.
    Most Dipolar speakers sound horrible with recreating music ,but not those gems.....Have fun dude,
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • EJ
    edited August 2002
    Thanks for your reply Mantis. I only have one 35i now. My plan is to mount this one in the center of the rear wall as a rear surround. I will move the other two to the rear wall towards the corners when I get the FX series and hook them up as you suggested. Do you have any concerns about using the single 35i for a rear surround. It will be getting a little crowded back there. The wiring will probably be done this week so if I need to put in anything extra I would like to do it now. Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks again for your reply, I will be picking up the35i's today if I can drag myself away from this machine.

Regards
    Emmett
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    I think one speaker for surround back is fine,
    you have a small room, so it will work out fine.But the surroundback speaker dead center on the back wall or exactly inline with the front center channel.
    The surrounds "B" I would space about in forths to thirds on the back wall,try to keep the out of the corners.....better sound transfer.Still keep in mind the same exact height for all surround channel speakers.72 inches to all tweeters works real well.
    Good luck with your Install......keep us all posted on how you made out.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • EJ
    edited August 2002
    Thanks Dan & Ken Swauger for your advice. I picked up the rt35i's yesterday and hooked them up when I got home late in the evening. This is a temporary setup at my present home. I placed them on top of my RT10's and transfered the wires over. I was amazed how they matched my RT2000p's when I played the test tones from my Denon3801. It sounded almost like a perfect match. They sounded much better than the RT10's in matching the sound of the RT2000p's and also my CS400 center. Can anyone explain why the CS400 doesn't match near as well in test tones?

I am a very happy camper and will let you know when I get the new HT room up and running. I am going to wait and add FX500's in time. There are just too many expenses with the addition and most of those are due to the dedicated HT room so I have to keep the peace.

Thanks again
    Emmett