Monitor 4 Series Two Binding Post Modification....

rstone
rstone Posts: 3
edited September 2001 in Technical/Setup
I really need to use spades on these very excellent vintage monitors (long story). They currently have spring loaded connectors connected to the crossover on the inside (haven't checked it out yet - but it might be complicated if they are anything like my RTA-11TLs)

I need some suggestions on changing the connections to allow spades. I don't want to have to drill a bigger hole or do major modifications to the cabinet if I don't have to. I am passably competent with a soldering iron. Can I purchase five way connectors (or something similar from) Polk that will work? Are there aftermarket solutions?

HELP!!!

Thanks,

Rich
Post edited by rstone on

Comments

• I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited September 2001
    Why? Because it sounds to me that some Vampires are about to strike. I put some Vampire 5-ways on my SDA-1C's a while back. It was a piece of cake. I'm gonna assume that the wires are terminated with spades inside the cabinet. If not, you'll need to do that. On second thought, the 1C's had spades, but I had to put some bogger ones on there to fit the Vampires. Also, I assume that the "posts" have their own little plastic pod that they are mounted to, and not to the speaker cabinet itself.

Simply remove the little pod. Detach the wires. Remove the binding posts. Reem out the existing holes a little bit. Bolt the new posts to the pod. Attach the wires from inside the cabinet. Put the pod back.

Be carefull not to mess up the little gasket around the pod or strip the screws when you tighten them to re-install the pod.
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • rstone
    rstone Posts: 3
    edited September 2001
    Where can you get "Vampire 5-ways" and how much would a pair (one for each speaker) set me back? Any pictures of these somewhere?!?

Thanks in advance.

Rich
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited September 2001
    This is where I got mine for my SDA's. I think their prices are about as good as anybody elses.

Welborne Labs

They have a couple of different options for posts, so I guess choose the one that's best for your application and budget.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d