SDA right/left and a balance question

Options
Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited December 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I've got my SDA-SRS's located in their "final" place; 7 feet apart, 5 inches from the back wall, and the right speaker is 30 inches from the right wall of a 25 ft wide room; I really tried to get them more to the center of the room but was not possible without making other major changes, so they'll stay where they are.

SDA sounds great, and for the most part what should be heard at the center is right on the middle. BUT..I really have the feeling that the left channel sounds just a tad higher than the right channel. Not to the point that anyone else in the house can hear it, but it just doesn't sound right. I need to say that my right hearing is a bit "reduced", but I already know what that makes to the sounds in my brain, and what I was hearing here was definitely not a consequence of that. I turn my back to the speakers as a test and I confirm that the left channel (now to my right) is a tad higher.

I am 100% sure that all connections are ok, but I decided anyway to swap the speaker wires just to see what happened.

Two things called my attention:

1.- The sound "might" have balanced to the right... I say might because I still need to make a before/after test with the same material, but I am 80% sure it did.

2.- SDA still works with the right/left channels swapped; not as wide, but sound still projects to the outside of the speakers; I just mention this because I thought this did not happen.

So...the question is; where in my system could I have this balance weighted to one of the channels? I am thinking the pre or the amp, since I am hearing it with both sources. Any ideas of what to check or what to do?

Thanks.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
Post edited by Ricardo on

Comments

• McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited December 2005
    Options
    If you break out the SPL meter and play the test tones built into your pre (or some you have burned to a disk) what are the volumes from the right and left speaker.

(Just remembered this is a 2 channel rig - burn some tones or white noise to a cd, unplug one speaker, hit play, record the volume on an spl meter - plug in the other speaker and repeat.)

So, does the SPL meter back what you are hearing?

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Ricardo
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Good idea...hmmm...would a mono recording work here??? Not sure I would know how to burn a CD with what you are suggesting....well. not sure I have a mono recording either :confused:

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • McLoki
    edited December 2005
    Options
    For this test I would think you want more of a constant tone rather than music, but a mono recording would work for a ballpark guess at "is one louder than the other?"

Michael
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
  • McLoki
    edited December 2005
    Options
    If have have avia or video essentials it would have tones on them. (may have to hook up a dvd temporarily to your 2 channel rig)

Michael
  • Ricardo
    edited December 2005
    Options
    there you go; I have the sound & vision set up disc; will do that when I have some time.....

SOPA
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2005
    Options
    this isn't unusual at all. often times one of my channels will sound slightly louder than the other. it's usually the right channel that is louder. I turn down that channel on the amp to match the left. and everything is good again. it seems to happen only on occasion or with different types of music. I don't think it's any problem with the amp or pre amp. it's just sometimes weighted to the right now and then.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Put a mono recording on and use the balance control to make the sound come from the middle.

Mono recording=NPR on FM.
  • Ricardo
    edited December 2005
    Options
    No balance or individual level controls....yet..

SOPA
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,852
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I'd say it's room acoustics.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ricardo
    edited December 2005
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    I'd say it's room acoustics.

I've thought that could be a reason; you think that the fact that the right speaker is closer to a wall can create this effect?

Well, whatever it is, the JBL Urei I'm getting from Russ with level controls will help compensate :)

SOPA
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Maybe I am learning something here. My suggestion would have been room acoustics as well. What does the "closer" wall have on it? Your first point of reflection may be reinforcing the sound wave, making it sound louder. You may have to put an accoustic deadening panel(doesn't have to be elaborate) on that wall to help even out the sound.

Every place I've lived in the past 5 years has had this problem. My best solution(aesthetically pleasing to the wife) was to put a bookcase with several objects on it to diffuse the sound. The left channel still sounded a little bit different, but it did even out considerably.

Zach
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited December 2005
    Options
    If at all possible, try to change something in the room before you try to change something electronically. That way you don't run the risk of changing the actual material, and only the way you hear it.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • F1nut
    edited December 2005
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    I've thought that could be a reason; you think that the fact that the right speaker is closer to a wall can create this effect?

That's what I'm thinking.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited December 2005
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    you think that the fact that the right speaker is closer to a wall can create this effect?

Well, whatever it is, the JBL Urei I'm getting from Russ with level controls will help compensate :)

that would do it. this might be one instance where a coat rack would be a more technically sound fix than hardware. if it works, then think about real treatments.

)
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited December 2005
    Options
    doh! too late.

)
  • Ricardo
    edited December 2005
    Options
    On the closest wall (to the right, and it is not reinforcing the sound....I hear the left channel a tad higher) we have the walk out glass slide door; it has vertical blinds, and I've tried to hear differences playing with the blinds (open, closed and at different angles) and I cannot hear ANY difference. I am starting to think that my right hearing loss might be getting worst... :(

Anyway, thanks everyone for the ideas; I will try the SPL test, though the difference I'm hearing is so small that I'm not sure I'll be able to spot it with the SPL meter.

Oh well...a few months ago I wouldn't have noticed any difference....I guess this is the price for getting a little serious about listening :)

SOPA
  • F1nut
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I don't think the wall to the right is reinforcing the sound, rather it's killing the sound.

President of Club Polk

• Ricardo
    edited December 2005
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    I don't think the wall to the right is reinforcing the sound, rather it's killing the sound.

I know...I mentioned it 'cause Olkie said that.

It's all good; thanks again everyone.

SOPA
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited December 2005
    Options
    CHESKY Records has an excellent test CD (CHE151) they put out in 1996 in conjunction with Stereo Review it's a quality Gold disk that used 128x oversampling called GOLD STEREO AND SURROUND SOUND SET-UP DISC. It has a lot of good tests on it. I got mine back in 1996 and just did a search and found they still offer it.

http://www.chesky.com/core/details.cfm?productcode=CHE151&category=1
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited December 2005
    Options
    ...yes, they have one for DVD 5.1 too. I haven't tried this one.

http://www.chesky.com/core/details.cfm?productcode=CHDVD221&category=1
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2005
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    I am 100% sure that all connections are ok, but I decided anyway to swap the speaker wires just to see what happened.
    Two things called my attention:
    1.- The sound "might" have balanced to the right... I say might because I still need to make a before/after test with the same material, but I am 80% sure it did.
    2.- SDA still works with the right/left channels swapped; not as wide, but sound still projects to the outside of the speakers; I just mention this because I thought this did not happen.
    First, just to be sure, when you say "higher" in your initial post, are you meaning louder?

Second, did you ever redo the wire swap as you mention in point 1? It's kinda key to this whole effort...

Third, your observation in point 2 is common in my experience. Most SDA rigs I have heard tended to have greater width to one side.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Ricardo
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Bob,

Great tip there; I ordered one....

Tour,

-Yes, I meant louder;
    -I placed the wires back where they should be, but have not made any test with the same material; I'll wait for the test disk.

Thanks.

SOPA
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2005
    Options
    In my cheappy setup, my dight 2b is closer to the wall than my left speaker, and my left channel sounds a little more bright(not louder) than the right. Also not to help matters any, my receiver's left chanel(only when in surround modes) is a little louder than the rest(don't worry, I hate playing 2 ch. audio in suround). If your running sepperates, you might want to check your gain levels on your amp(s), Or your receiver my be biased a little more to the left chanel.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2005
    Options
    what amp are you using? Do you have another amp you can swap out with it? How old is your amp? It may be time to get your amp serviced. My tech tells me it's not that uncommon for one channel to sound louder than the other channel in a stereo amp. Basically it needs to be serviced.

good luck, I'm out of ideas.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,361
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Along with tones, the Rives Audio Test CD 2 has some recordings for audio testing. IIRC, track 68-72 has a recording in stereo, mono, right and left channel.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *