Dayton project

Options
hellohello
hellohello Posts: 428
edited December 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I have a few questions.. I looked into the dayton ribbon tweeters on partsexpress, are they really touchy being that theyre ribbon tweets? And also, would the classic dayton 8 make a good midrange/midbass? Id like to do an MTM setup, but that might be too big with 8's, I also dont want to make a seperate sub... Basically I want something like an RTi10/12 in a bookshelf size, good definition and enough lows to not need a subwoofer. Yes, I realize that sounds impossible/impractical, but I dont care. :D
Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
Post edited by hellohello on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Do you have any measuring equipment and software?
    Graham
  • hellohello
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I have Winisd... I dont know what you mean by measuring equipment

• gatemplin
    edited December 2005
    Options
    hellohello wrote:
    I have Winisd... I dont know what you mean by measuring equipment

You cant design a crossover without a measurement rig and software. You'll need something like a Behringer ECM8000 condenser mic and UB802 preamp and a measurement jig like the Wallin. Then you'll need software like Speaker Workshop, LspCAD etc.

WinISD is just a box modeller.

That ribbon/planar needs a steep crossover to protect it. That means a lot of money, and that is not worth it without a proper measurement rig. It is best to start in DIY by building someone else's design to learn the basics.

If you really want a wide range MTM, you cant do better than this for a box speaker, in my opinion:
    http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=11321
    Graham
  • hellohello
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Well, I looked at the site you listed, and those drivers he chose are nice, i was looking at those. I dont have all the fancy plotters and stuff, but I do have crossover calcs and simpler ideas...I dont really want to do a ported enclosure now that I think about it, cause they are a pain in the **** without said equipment lol I just need something rather simple for a basement workshop, I have an undercabinet radio...and I cant takes it anymore :( I have an old Harmon Kardon reciever, I think its from the stone age... model three thirty if im not mistaken... And i want to put that to use with a fairly decent set of speakers, and since I have a workshop now (yay!) I want to build them.

• gatemplin
    edited December 2005
    Options
    hellohello wrote:
    Well, I looked at the site you listed, and those drivers he chose are nice, i was looking at those. I dont have all the fancy plotters and stuff, but I do have crossover calcs and simpler ideas...

Crossover calcs are useless.

Those drivers are nice, but very hard to use unless you use steep slopes.

I dont know why you would want to design your own without the proper equipment. No offense intended, but a proven design will give you better results. Same with a ported design, they aren't difficult if you follow the plans. You will get much better extension with a ported box.

I suggest you do some searches and copy a design that will fit your needs.

I posted that link because that designer has decades of speaker design experience, professional audio design experience, is an EE, and has the best design equipment and software available.

Just trying to help.
    Graham