Pre amp, yes or no?

Options
jfb4548
jfb4548 Posts: 168
edited December 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I have been working through my system for sometime now, trying to find it's lost musical soul and have made several improvements along the way. Most noteworthy, the Jolida Cd and the MF X10V3 tube buffer. But still I was not hearing the sound I remember this stuff making and that was with a 1st generation 14bit CD player!

Ok so to cut to the question at hand. After swapping amps, CD players etc. it occured to me the problem is the pre! Ok so I'm kinda slow! Anyway I did order the Dodd ELP but not sure that will ever show up, so the other night I ran the output of the Jolida + X10V3 directly to my old MC2205 and DAMN it was pure magic. The sound was so alive and warm and big it trashed every memory I ever had about what these old Polks sounded like. The sound stage is huge! My amp has output volume controls so that isn't an issue, but of course the CD output is a bit lower then from a pre so max volume is a bit less. That being said, will any affordable pre deliver the imaging and detail that is available from no pre at all? If the ELP does show up will I be happy? :confused:
Post edited by jfb4548 on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I haven't heard of a single person that has had one or still owns one, like me, that wasn't pleased as pie with the ELP. I'll most likely never sell mine. :)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • hydrobud
    hydrobud Posts: 155
    edited December 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    I haven't heard of a single person that has had one or still owns one, like me, that wasn't pleased as pie with the ELP. I'll most likely never sell mine. :)

so what you are saying is...if you have a decent amp a pr-amp is not neccessary??
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited December 2005
    Options
    hydrobud wrote:
    so what you are saying is...if you have a decent amp a pr-amp is not neccessary??
    i think what Noel is saying is that jfb4548 should be very pleased with the results of using the Dodd ELP when he finally gets it.thanks....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The AI Modulus 3A is VERY good at keeping everything right. It is the first pre I've really liked on my system but I've only tried a few and I wouldn't really call it affordable. I haven't tried a Dodd though I'm sure it must perform very well. Keep moving things around and you will end up with what you want.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Hey, MM.......another no preamp convert. Sometimes in your trials you just gotta give it a "let it all hang out" whirl. I'm currently going control free and find the dynamics of some of my music to be simply amazing when you can't grab that volume knob.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • hydrobud
    hydrobud Posts: 155
    edited December 2005
    Options
    i think what Noel is saying is that jfb4548 should be very pleased with the results of using the Dodd ELP when he finally gets it.thanks....WCW III

i guess i should'nt of started so early...