Using a DVD as your source?

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited December 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
How many of you use a DVD with an external DAC as your source? How do you feel about its performance?

Reason I ask is that I'm getting ready to go to a single source transport, either a Marantz DV-7600 DVD and my DAC or possibly the Denon 2910 DVD + my DAC. Im curious if anyone else does this...

Just can't see using 2 machines to perform the same function.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• steveinaz
    edited December 2005
    Options
    hmmm...nobody is doing this? There's 3 things I like about it:

1. One less component to make room for (inputs and space)
    2. My movies/concert DVD's are running thru the ex DAC for better sound
    3. Conveneince of 1 do-it-all player; I can run analog out for 2-ch SACD, and digital out for redbook into the DAC
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2005
    Options
    No one in the past hour and 10 minutes apparently.

I have a NAD T550 I use in the video rig, for both video AND music, and I'll be adding a CDP shortly for music duty. I HATE the slow load time, and this model (or my particular unit) gets fussy with some CDR's. The internal DAC is fine in the 550, but with the issues mentioned above, I won't even take the time to try one of my DACs on it - like I said, dedicated CDP is the order of the day for this rig.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I use Pioneer Elite DV45A with an outboard DAC with great redbook/SACD/DVDA. I chose it for the audio quality as with video, it is average.I also have a Mega changer that I use through my DAC for convenience playing when I 'm not quite as critical.

I think you would be okay with your Benchmark and a universal player, but you may want to go with at least a solidly built transport to give enough peace of mind that you aren't giving up much quality. I like the Marantz and Denon models you mention, solid builds on both.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I'm leaning hard towards the Marantz, it just looks alot more substantial/solid and less plasticky. The reviews I've seen on the video half have been very impressive as well.

I'm not that picky with video, I've got a 3 year old $129 panny now--not even progressive scan, and its fine picture wise for me--so I'm wanting to make sure I do the "audio" half the most justice.
  • gregure
    gregure Posts: 871
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The DV7600 is a fine player. I really like the PQ on that unit. It has a slightly richer, darker look to the colors that makes it stand out a bit. The 2910 is an excellent player as well, but the designers at Marantz are a bit more into audio/videophile goals, I think. Sound is great as well.
    Current System:

Mitsubishi 30" LCD LT-3020 (for sale**)
    Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
    CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    FXi3-surrounds (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
    Panamax M5500-EX-Line Conditioner
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2005
    Options
    is you're using your DVD player for music listening.. i think you could do better with a CD player. I used to think that a DVD play would sound the exact same as a stand alone CDP. well with my limited machines.. i've found that that isn't so.

The NAD CDP's i've purchased lately used have all sounded better than the new Panasonic and Toshiba DVD players i have.

Plus like someone said. the slow load time, i hate that too.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the input Amigos. It's still in the debate stage right now....
    I currently have a dedicated CDP and external DAC, my thought was to go good quality DVD Player and run it thru the DAC.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I'm using one of the much-discussed Tosh 3950's that I've modified (with madmax's assistance) with Black-Gate caps, replacement BB Opamp, etc.,-- basically the "Vinnie" mods. I think it sounds quite good, but in many ways it still makes a lousy CD player. It's due to the mechanical and asthetic/functional type issues that everyone already mentioned. Some units will be better than others obviously and my cheap-o Tosh is surely one of the worst. Slow load and recognition time, horrible display, minimal front panel controls, the response to user inputs is slow and delayed... the list goes on and on. BUT it does, SOUND better than any of the CDP's I've got, so I continue to use it.

The fact of the matter is that every DVD player I've ever used is optimized to play DVD's-- and CD playback is a side-effect, a secondary "feature". I think the two formats are different enough that some compromises have to be made in playback of one or the other.

Jason
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    edited December 2005
    Options
    You'd have a very hard time finding a transport that would compete with the AES/EBU output of your current CEC CD player without spending a bunch of money. I'd stick with that for CD's.

I do use a DVD player (Denon 3910) with a Musical Fidelity DAC/tube buffer through MIT's top digital coax. This setup sounds a lot better with the DVD player than with the coaxial out of the CEC CD player into the same DAC. Certain DVD players do make excellent transports for sound quality. The Sony DVP-S9000ES also makes an excellent transport. But, remember the Denon and Sony DVD players retailed in the $1500 range. Cheap DVD players aren't a always good comparison because of the cheap transports, power supplies, and other parts used in them.
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Tha cambridge Audio DVD player is supposed to be as good or nearly as good on redbook cds as their top line cd players.