Dipole or Bipole Setting for My LSiFX

Options
Jeffrey_B
Jeffrey_B Posts: 21
edited November 2005 in Speakers
I have a 5.1 setup (LSiC, LSi9, and LSIFX) and my room layout is such that my sofa is up against the rear wall, with my LSiFXs on the same wall about 2 feet above ear level and about 9 feet apart (so, about 4 to 5 feet on either side of the sweet spot). Since the speakers are not at any significant distance *behind* the listener, is it preferable to set the bipole/dipole switch to *bipole* or *dipole* in this situation? I've read varying opinions on this and also, it is difficult for me to hear much difference...if any, I think I prefer the *bipole* setting. Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated. Jeff
Post edited by Jeffrey_B on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Let you ears determine the best setting. If you prefer bipole, so be it.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Normally, if the speakers are behind the seating area bipole is best. To the side, dipole is best. Good thing about Polks is there's an easy choice available at the flip of a convenient switch.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2005
    Options
    The ears have it! From what I have read most prefer a bipole setting if the speakers are in the rear. Dipole if on the sides. Enjoy.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited November 2005
    Options
    5.1~ di side, bi rear

7.1~ bi all round
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Eric W
    Eric W Posts: 556
    edited November 2005
    Options
    aaharvel wrote:
    5.1~ di side, bi rear

7.1~ bi all round

What he said. :D
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio
  • Jeffrey_B
    Jeffrey_B Posts: 21
    edited November 2005
    Options
    thank you all for your responsive and informative input. jeff
  • gakboone
    gakboone Posts: 16
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I am upgrading my system soon and have a livingroom set-up like yours. My upgrade system will be the same fronts and rears. Actually, my fronts will be RTi8's and FXi3's.
  • m-rorem
    m-rorem Posts: 58
    edited November 2005
    Options
    aaharvel wrote:
    5.1~ di side, bi rear

7.1~ bi all round

Actually I believe that the THX Ultra2 specs calls for dipole surrounds/mono-pole rears in a 7.1 setup, not that they are the "word of god". However, my understanding is that the surrounds should produce an diffuse (ambient effects) signal and the rears should be directional (effects) channel. Both the Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES tracks are mixed this way, unless I am mistaken.

The general recommendations to your question are:

surrounds side mounted (in line with listening position) = dipole
    surrounds rear mounted (or side mounted behind listening position = bipole/mono-pole

Also make sure they are at standing eye-level (2' to 3' above seated ear height) in either arrangement. The only exception to this would be in a dedicated multi-channel music setup, which tends to prefer indentical mono-pole speakers at all locations and at seated ear height, with rears positioned about half way between the side and rear of room.

Half