tube DAC and SDA marriage

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited November 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I got my SRS's back in May of this year.. hooked up to all older SS gear.. the sound was ok.. and I knew it could be improved upon.

In my HT I have a California Audio Labs Alpha tube DAC with 12AX7 Mullard tubes... schweet! My HT isn't all the impressive.. and i'm moving more towards doing any critical music listening now on the SRS's instead of the HT.

So last night I moved the CAL tube DAC over the the SRS 2 ch rig.. and it immediately became clear why i bought it in the first place. The bass is impressive with a tube DAC.. the highs are crystal clear, the mids smooth and warm as male and female voices flow effortlessly from the SRS's.

I don't know why I waited 6 months to connect the tube DAC to the SRS's.. it's insane to be honest. It's staying right there now. I also use new Cobalt Cables for IC's.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2005
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    I don't know why I waited 6 months to connect the tube DAC to the SRS's.. it's insane to be honest.

Nice, Al! It's cool when something makes that kind of difference/impression. Your sin against synergy is absolved... go in peace. :)
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Hummmmm, must be why I use one with my 2.3s. ;):D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2005
    Options
    so true guys.. i'm very pleased with the improvement over the NAD CDP Dac's. It wasn't night and day of course. but the bass extension i noticed right away.

Do you think a tube DAC is equal in performance to a tube CD player? Our even a tube pre amp?

I want to try out different tubes in there now. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I'm glad you put the tubes where they belong....in the 2-channel rig. :cool: Now, you need to go ahead and bite the bullet and get that pre we talked about a while back for your Xmas present to yourself. ;)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Al,

As a west coastie you should beTOTALLY TUBULAR DUDE!!!!!!!

RT1