WTB: SVS Box sub

Options
MrNightly
MrNightly Posts: 3,370
edited November 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I know this is probably a far reach, but if anyone is interested in selling a SVS Box sub, let me know.

You have my attention :)

(BTW, who would sell a SVS sub? What's the upgrade to SVS?)
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Post edited by MrNightly on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2005
    Options
    MrNightly wrote:
    (BTW, who would sell a SVS sub? What's the upgrade to SVS?)

Either two SVS, or a bigger SVS. :D
  • MrNightly
    edited November 2005
    Options
    PolkThug wrote:
    Either two SVS, or a bigger SVS. :D

Ahh, there-in lies the mystery of the universe... uh.. never mind ;)
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• MrNightly
    edited November 2005
    Options
    It appears that the new box subs brand new are very good priced anyways.. $599 for the 12inch box sub. That's pretty hard to beat isn't it? For the sound?

*I have never heard a SVS yet, but i from what everyone has said, it is perfect for HT.*
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2005
    Options
    For about $50, you can make your own sub box. Stick a woofer and amp in it and call it, "Nightly's Annihilator." It'll kick SVS' ****.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • MrNightly
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    For about $50, you can make your own sub box. Stick a woofer and amp in it and call it, "Nightly's Annihilator." It'll kick SVS' ****.

Really.. $50 dollars? Tell me more.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Early B. wrote:

I feel the same way. If you're handy with woodworking and have all the tools building your own sub is the way to go. However, if you aren't handy or don't have the time, or don't want to build a sub, SVS is the #1 sub company.
  • Mazeroth
    edited November 2005
    Options
    MrNightly wrote:
    Really.. $50 dollars? Tell me more.

This will get you started:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=63

If you have a spare closet, crawl space, or don't mind cutting a hole in your floor to the basement, an infinite baffle sub is the best subwoofer you can get. Period.

http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/index.cgi
  • MrNightly
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Dude.. that's all french on that site.. i can't understand a word they are saying... where's the manual for 1,2,3 steps to build a sub? ;)
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Early B.
    edited November 2005
    Options
    It's just a box made of MDF that you can get real cheap from Home Depot or similar store. Tons of info on the Internet. Just google "DIY subwoofer." Also check out the tweaks section on this forum. Several polkies have done this already, including myself. Use a couple of $3 cans of truck bed liner spray paint and you're done. Spend $150 on a woofer and $125 on an amp and BINGO! -- your own custom made, kick **** sub.

Start by reading this thread: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34042
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• MrNightly
    edited November 2005
    Options
    If it is that simple, why are people paying hundred's more for less? It can't sound that good can it? (I'm a naturally born doubter ;) )
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Early B.
    edited November 2005
    Options
    You can clean and press your own clothes, but lots of people take them to the cleaners anyway. What's the difference? Just because most people don't do it doesn't make it difficult.

• Mazeroth
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Subwoofers are, by far, the easiest speaker to make yourself. Designing a speaker, such as a 2-way or 3-way, with a crossover is a pain in the butt. With a subwoofer you simply build a box to a certain size, cut a hole for the woofer and plate amp, if you will be mounting the amp to the box, and presto!

For an example of a KILLER sealed sub, check out these 2 products:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-804

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-560

For $206, with free shipping, that combination in a 2.5 to 3.0 cubic foot box, lightly stuffed with polyfill, is an absolute monster.

This combination here is probably the best bang for your buck subwoofer on the planet. You can spend another $200 or so and get a 15" driver with more xmax (max excursion; displacement = output) and a beefier amp and REALLY shake things up!

EDIT:

Here's another example of what a little more $$$ can get you. This Stryke 15" has 23mm of xmax and is only $180:

http://yellow.mynethost.com/~bv126368/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=53&osCsid=9056ddd54cd0dc3120ca9c4b439f2a3e

Pair that with a 500w BASH amp for $240 and for under $450 you will have heaven on earth:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-752
  • MrNightly
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Oh i have no problem doing it... I just can't believe it SOUNDS better ya know??? What amp do you use? What speaker?? I am quite handy, so i'm sure it will not be a problem that way.. but i'm unsure of the PURITY of the bass ya know?
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Early B.
    edited November 2005
    Options
    OK, I replaced my SVS PB1-ISD with a DIYer and my sub will utterly destroy what I had before for less money. Absolutely no contest whatsoever. Sounds better than the SVS, too, IMO. The important thing to understand is that you control the quality of the components and there's zero markup. If you want a higher quality woofer and/or amp, then you can choose to do that.

Consider purchasing an SVS and hold onto it for a while. During this time, learn about building your own sub. Then sell the SVS and build your own and compare the sound. SVS subs retain their value quite well so there's not much financial risk involved.

• Mazeroth
    edited November 2005
    Options
    This sub was just put up for sale on the Parts Express message board. This is the same guy I bought my Atlas 15 from. If you're thinking about building a sub, JUMP on this driver:

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=251186
  • MrNightly
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Mazeroth wrote:
    Subwoofers are, by far, the easiest speaker to make yourself. Designing a speaker, such as a 2-way or 3-way, with a crossover is a pain in the butt. With a subwoofer you simply build a box to a certain size, cut a hole for the woofer and plate amp, if you will be mounting the amp to the box, and presto!

For an example of a KILLER sealed sub, check out these 2 products:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-804

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-560

For $206, with free shipping, that combination in a 2.5 to 3.0 cubic foot box, lightly stuffed with polyfill, is an absolute monster.

This combination here is probably the best bang for your buck subwoofer on the planet. You can spend another $200 or so and get a 15" driver with more xmax (max excursion; displacement = output) and a beefier amp and REALLY shake things up!

EDIT:

Here's another example of what a little more $$$ can get you. This Stryke 15" has 23mm of xmax and is only $180:

http://yellow.mynethost.com/~bv126368/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=53&osCsid=9056ddd54cd0dc3120ca9c4b439f2a3e

Pair that with a 500w BASH amp for $240 and for under $450 you will have heaven on earth:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-752

Thanks man!!! a little light reading on the job today. ;) Happy thanksgiving to you all. I will probably take the advise, pick up a SVS, then build my own down the road. That way, I can compare both side by side and see if its as good as you guys are selling me :)

I'm pretty excited tho, 'cause i love building things, so maybe i'll get a better deal in the long run, that my own hands put together. Sounds awesome!

Keep up the great work guys.

David
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Mr.ZeusRuckus
    Mr.ZeusRuckus Posts: 3
    edited November 2005
    Options
    2-Kicker amps Kx1200.1 & Sx700.4, 2-Monster Cable caps,2-12" Arc Audio D2's,1-Lanzar Encore E15 EQ, 1-Interfire Preamp, 1-7.5" lcd screen, 1-Tneq Dvd player, 1-JVC ls300 w/ 12 disc changer,15ft of 0 gauge stinger power wire, 2-Stinger fuse blocks, Stinger rca's and connectors everything under warrianty plus receipts. Willing to trade for Depends on what u have would like to sell system together. Make me an offer I cant refuse. Im in Fresno Ca shipping and all that is on buyer.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Where to start here? First off, this is the section to sell home audio gear... the car audio section is a little lower on the main forum page. Secondly... Where's the Polk?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Mazeroth
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Make me an offer I cant refuse.

I won't pay a dime and I'll let you pay shipping.

You can't lose.
  • marcpam
    marcpam Posts: 228
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Mazeroth wrote:
    I won't pay a dime and I'll let you pay shipping.

You can't lose.

This guy certainly has a habit of playing people as if he were interested. I wouldn't take him seriously on anything he says.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Thirdly, start your own thread intsead of tacking it on to somebody else's. If you'll look at the bottom of the forum page you should see the Garage Sale or some such; that's for selling car audio gear.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Meeks32
    Meeks32 Posts: 330
    edited November 2005
    Options
    There is a B4+ on Audiogon for $1700obo & I bet he would take 1500 for it since its been on there a while. If you could do me this favor and buy the damn thing because its been calling to me in my sleep. If it didnt require a seperate amp I would have made a road trip up to Atlanta in a heart beat, but I guess Ill have to be satisfied with my 6 day old PB12+2.
  • mknutt
    mknutt Posts: 61
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Meeks32 wrote:
    If it didnt require a seperate amp I would have made a road trip up to Atlanta in a heart beat, but I guess Ill have to be satisfied with my 6 day old PB12+2.

How do you ever get through the day?? :p