Surround Speaker Project

gatemplin
gatemplin Posts: 1,595
edited November 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Just thought I would share my lastest DIY project. I needed some rear surround speakers for my HT. I ended up deciding to "klone" the GR Research surround speakers. I think they will work quite well for my application. Fortunately Danny has provided a lot of information on this style of surround speaker.

I drew this in AutoCAD to get a rough idea of how they will look when complete. I dont know what colour I will paint them. Probably either white like the drawing or I'll post some of the progress here, but there is a lot more info in the link in my sig if anyone is interested in designing their own surrounds.

Model1.jpg
Graham
Post edited by gatemplin on

Comments

• gatemplin
    edited November 2005
    The surround speakers go against the rear wall close to the ceiling and fire up. The sound is reflected off the roof and back down at the listeners.
    Graham
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited November 2005
    Interesting... Im looking forward to the finished product...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2005
    That's a worthwhile project, good luck. I vote for Rainbow Paisley being the end color pallette.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • gatemplin
    edited November 2005
    Thanks guys. I should have them done in a few months, maybe March, maybe Smarch.
    dorokusai wrote:
    I vote for Rainbow Paisley being the end color pallette.

HELL YEAH! Thats what I'm talkin' bout! Great minds think alike eh? ;)

Doro.jpg
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited November 2005
    I've been having some fun with AutoCAD. Here is what I am planning to do for my main speakers. Basically just adding a new baffle and paint job. The link is also in the sig.

Rendering2.jpg

What do you think?
    Graham
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    Id do the WHOLE front like that...

Something seems out of place with it taking up part of it... IMO
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gatemplin
    edited November 2005
    Id do the WHOLE front like that...

Something seems out of place with it taking up part of it... IMO

Thanks for the suggestion.

I cant do the whole baffle like that because this is what they currently look like. I may just leave the baffle the way it is when I paint. Any other suggestions?

attachment.php?attachmentid=11209

And I chose pine to match the clear pine stands.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11375
    Graham
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    Your first link dosnt work...
    Ah I see how it is...

So you would have the baffle continuing off the current roundover...

If thats the case... I think it would look pretty good - but I would use a skinnier baffle... maybe 1/2" - so its not obstrosive (sp).
  • gatemplin
    edited November 2005
    Your first link dosnt work...

I'll try again:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=12479
    So you would have the baffle continuing off the current roundover...

If thats the case... I think it would look pretty good - but I would use a skinnier baffle... maybe 1/2" - so its not obstrosive (sp).

Good point. The rendering above is 3/4" inch.
    Graham
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    How much trouble would it be for you to lend me your autocad skills? ;)

I dont believe it would be to hard to do...

(41.5" tall) (8" wide) (12.25" deep)

The front and back would have 1/2" roundovers on each corner (none on the top)...

There would be a baffle with these dimensions...

• Tweeter Location
    o From Route Around Tweeter From (RIGHT) Side – 1.25”
    o From Route Around Tweeter From (LEFT) – 2.75”
    o From Route Around Tweeter (Top) – (Bottom Of Enclosure) – 32 13/16”
    o From Route Around Tweeter (Bottom) (Bottom of Enclosure) – 28 13/16
    • Woofer Location –
    o .5” From Sides
    o 40 5/16” From Bottom (Top Of Cut Out)
    o 33 5/16” From Bottom (Bottom Of Cutout)

The side panels would start at the end of the side round overs, with them also having a 1/2" roundover on the sides, top, and bottom... and they would be made of Cedar...

(black base finish everywhere else)

You dont have to do it...not expecting you to.. but it would help me visualize what I am doing and help me continue forward with this thing... would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

(Wishes I was better at Autocad) lol

(sorry for the slightly derail)
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    Yeah.. I would definitely go with 1/2" - if not smaller.. 1/4" - I think the smaller you get the better it would look...
  • gatemplin
    edited November 2005
    How much trouble would it be for you to lend me your autocad skills? ;)

(Wishes I was better at Autocad) lol

(sorry for the slightly derail)

No promises, but I'll see what I can do. It's not as hard as it looks. Just takes some patience and practice.
    Graham
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited November 2005
    On with another project ? Nice job Graham. Let me know if you'll be in town for Xmas, we will need to celebrate a couple things!! xmas, school and your job !!
  • gatemplin
    edited November 2005
    Thanks JF. I do plan to come to Ottawa this Christmas. We'll have to get together. I'll probably bring the ExtremeMTs up. I'll let you know when I'm coming up.
    Graham