No Output from front woofer of LSI F/X?

Options
m-rorem
m-rorem Posts: 58
edited November 2005 in Troubleshooting
Hello to all,

Thanks in advance for any input you might have! I have a pair of LSI F/X surrounds mounted on my sidewalls. Just noticed today while re-calibrating their levels that the front-firing woofers of both the left and right channel aren't outputing much if any sound in comparison with the rear-firing woofers. If tried switching between dipole/bi-pole mode and can definitely hear a difference in the tweeters phase relationship, but still no output from the bass drivers.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Seems odd that both the left and right are doing this at the same time unless this has been an issue for some time.

Speakers are less than one year old so I'm not too worried about warranty issues, but I certainly would prefer to know that all is good and that I am worried about nothing.

Half
Post edited by m-rorem on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited November 2005
    Options
    From the specs:

Driver 1: LPF at 200Hz, 12dB/oct.
    Driver 2: LPF at 2.4kHz, 12dB/oct.
    Tweeters: HPF at 2.4kHz, 18 dB/oct.

It looks like they use a cascaded crossover on the FXs as Polk has been known to do with many other models. Essentially, the rear driver handles mids and bass, while the front just handle below 200hz. This will make the driver handling a larger frequency range louder most of the time.

Just my thoughts,

DG
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • m-rorem
    m-rorem Posts: 58
    edited November 2005
    Options
    From the specs:

Driver 1: LPF at 200Hz, 12dB/oct.
    Driver 2: LPF at 2.4kHz, 12dB/oct.
    Tweeters: HPF at 2.4kHz, 18 dB/oct.

It looks like they use a cascaded crossover on the FXs as Polk has been known to do with many other models. Essentially, the rear driver handles mids and bass, while the front just handle below 200hz. This will make the driver handling a larger frequency range louder most of the time.

Just my thoughts,

DG

Hello Dennis,

thanks for quick reply, I just read the same spec's my self and probably just never noticed it before. No issue most likely!

Love my LSI's
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I know the LSI-C has the cascaded crossover and some here have complained that it makes the sound seem uneven being louder to one side. I'm not sure if the 9s have a similar setup, but they do have a vertical placement, so it isn't so readily noticeable.

Its in the design, so enjoy. I also know that 2 opposing woofers in a bipole/dipole speaker can really cancel out bass response unless phase or crossover points are dealt with.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable