This has been bugging me... anyone know the answer?

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,020
edited November 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Alright... I've seen a variety of MDF dimensions and I know you can get this... but my question is WHERE... lol

Where on earth can you get 1" thick MDF? Can it be ordered at your local HD or Lowes? How much does it cost? And why is it not a "normal" product...?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited November 2005
    Options
    The best place to get thicker MDF, Baltic Birch, cabinet grade wood etc is specialty wood shops. I dont think the big box stores carry that stuff, at least not up here.
    Graham
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Thanks...

I will have to see whats around here...

Would "Building Supply" stores carry it? We have a place here called Gullege (sp) - not sure if they are mainstream or not though... I dont think so...

I figure using a solid piece of 1" MDF is stronger than two pieces of 1/2" MDF...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Sid - look for a wholesaler or supplier in your area that sells to cabinet and woodworking shops. I get 1" MDF from a millwork supplier in Des Moines, IA. If you have a cabinet or woodworking shop in the area you might ask to buy small quantities from them. I have also seen 1" MDF at Home Depot from time to time. You can also check in the stair building supplies section of Home Deport, Lowes, etc., sometimes they have 1" MDF stair treads, although the width is around 12".
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Whenever I get something that thick for the Shipyards , I have to go to a lumber vendor and special order it..Hd and the like usually doesn`t carry it..got to have a vendor get it from his mill or source

A place that sells Hardwoods would be a good start, I would think..
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Do a little searching at local thrift/second hand stores and find MDF desk tops from used furniture. These often are 1 to 1 1/2 thick. Some better desks use HDF.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Lowes and Home Depot carry thier milled products based on regions and availablity. Last i checked, Home Depot had 1" think MDF available in 4x8 foot sheets. However, a Home Depot less than 20 minutes north had nothing of the sort. It depends on the area. usually a Home Depot or Lowes with a large contractor customer base will have a wider variety of stuff.

I've also found places that carry marine grade stuff will have a wider variety but lower quantity. If you want to find a steady source, as any local places that do cabinetry work, especially for kitchens, where they get thier supplies.

If 1 inch MDF is not available though, a 4x8 sheet of cabinet grade plywood in a 3/4" thickness will cost almost the same and will be stronger and just as sonically dead. Also, it can save on laminate costs because it usually comes with a finished side already. The Baltic Birch stuff mentioned would be perfect.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Well... its not really a "thickness" problem...

Its a timing problem...

Definitive's bipolar arrays are "timed" by the space between the front and rear drivers.

Now, something I am over-looking that you just made me think of is the... recess DT uses so the driver dosnt hit the grill sock. If it is 1/4" lower than the front... using 3/4" thick wood would bring me to the correct "delay"/"Time" needed between the front and back array... correct?

*ponders*

Well actually... it wouldnt help... since the Tweeter has no recess except for the mounting basket......

Im going to assume the timing isnt near as important as it is on the tweeter.

UGH

Thanks for all the replies.