Call of Duty 2 for PC

Options
nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited November 2005 in Video Games
Okay, been playing this a bit since it was released. I'm not really sure that I like it all that much. The graphics and sounds are better.... that's nice. But I have a few complaints.

1. If you don't push forward, enemy soldiers will just keep coming. There's no way to "clear out" a level. There are some times that you just have to run into the fray with guns a'blazin and hope for the best. This is not smart warfare.

2. No medkits. None. You don't even get a health meter. "What?" you say... lemme tell you. You're getting shot up, okay? suddenly, your screen gets a red haze around it, and you hear your heart beating and heavy breathing. What to do now? Get to cover. If you sit and don't get shot for a while, magical things happen and you're all better. How stupid is that?! Give me conveniently placed medkits, but leave the self-healing **** out of it!

I do like, say, the sniper rifles. You zoom in w/ the scope, then press ctrl to hold your breath. Squeeze off a round, let of ctrl and start breathing again. If you hold ctrl too long, you run out of breath and start breathing heavily, which sends your scope swinging around with each breath.

When a tank drives by, the ground shakes.... kinda cool

I mean, the game is still good enough that I'm going to play through it, but I don't feel that it's worth the $50 until they make it as realistic as the original.

My 2 cents.
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I think it's entertaining. I like the epic battles no other game will give you that feel.

Playing on realistic if you have that health bar you'll die pretty fast. if you want more realisim than you should die in one or two shots which would mean the game would end pretty fast. Rainbow six is a good example.

Though the whole red haze thing would mean that you can duck behind cover and just keep going but you still die plenty of times. I also like the idea of pushing forward. Just sitting behind cover just sniping enemies as engaging as rushing with 20+ comrades and then overrunning the enemy. Especially with russian tactics you overwhelm the enemy. the places with big spaces where you rush the enemy is where smoke comes in where you go in blind and then all of a sudden you're admist the entire enemy army.

I love the sound though!

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • MSkeezer
    MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I'll be getting this when the price goes down, or when it goes on sale. $50 just isn't worth it, in my opinion. Especially when you can get it for $25 in a few months. I did love the first Call of Duty, and I have a feeling this one will be even better. I do kind of like the idea of self healing. It's not very realistic, but neither is picking up med packs scattered throughout a map. Finding a medic, and having him heal you would be better, or even having a couple of medpacks yourself at the start of a level, and having to use them on yourself whenever your health gets really low...
  • Schris22
    edited November 2005
    Options
    try the demo for now mskeezer...

just fyi if you didn't know it was out it has an entire mission out from the british campaign it's 600 mbs.

sooooo not a small demo

Chris
  • MSkeezer
    MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I wish I could download the demo. Not gonna happen on dial up, though lol. I'm sure the game is great, and I can't wait to buy it. $50 is just too steep for any game, I don't care how good it is. I guess I'm just cheap that way lol.
  • Schris22
    edited November 2005
    Options
    oh well go to a someone else computer and dl it then burn it on a cd

but i guess if you have patience then thats good too

Chris
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2005
    Options
    My only complaint about the first one was that it was just too short. Is this one shaping up to take a little more time to complete?

Glad to hear the sound is still great. It was wonderful in the first game. Looking forward to using my new 5.1 setup with this game.
  • Shizelbs
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Okay, here are my first general impressions of the game.

The sound is still excellent. Good use of surrounds. High quality with plenty of bass.

I gotta agree, I don't really like the whole no health thing. I find myself just charging into rooms blasting like crazy, and finally when my vision gets red, I go hide for a couple short seconds, and repeat. Granted, I should turn up the difficulty (I have it on regular) but still, I think I would prefer it with health packs spread about.

Second, the graphics don't appear to be much better/more sophisticated than those of the first game. However, if I put the graphics settings to where they would be with Call of Duty 1, the game runs like total crap. Is anyone else noticing this? I have an AMD 2800+ with 1 gig of RAM and a 9800XT video card. I mean, Doom 3 handled better on this system than Call of Duty 2 currently is. The only lag free resolution I can get is 800x600. Thats pretty lame.

Anyways, its still fun.
  • Schris22
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Make sure you have DX9 on and well turn the resolution up and just change a few of the manual tweaks. I think the game looks better but in the end I agree with you not that much better. The reason is because of all the players on the screen. Just can't do it.

I play on advanced which is 2nd hardest and it's quite a challenge you can't go every single room charging. Try it on advanced. Regular is tooo easy.

I have p4 3.2 1gig ram 9800 so semi similar but running 1024 DX9 and everything on medium. I ran it with 4x AA on and it was just a lil laggy, during smoke and large raids it got laggy so I turned it down.

Chris
  • Shizelbs
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Yeah, I've got DX9c installed. Its just so lame. I mean, FarCry for crying out loud, that plays great on my machine and those are some complex graphics with HUGE enviroments to create.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2005
    Options
    CoD2 looked nice on my bro's rig. Two geforce 6600gt's in SLI, Athlon64 3200+

One thing, I do believe this game favors nVidia cards. I have a single 6600gt (AGP) in my machine at home, and I'm running 1024x768 with some details. No shadows, reflect objects only... that kinda thing. If I try to crank it all up, it goes to pot :) I also only have an Athlon 2200+, which I believe is 1.8ghz... a giggaram, tho.
    Ludicrous gibs!