F.E.A.R. for PC

Options
nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited October 2005 in Video Games
Anyone have it yet? I've played the demo, it was really creepy. Another Doom3 like game, but with maybe a little more of a story. Pretty heavy on graphics, but my GF NX6600GT does well. DOn't have the full version yet, but hope to get it in the next few days.
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I didn't think it was too scary. Doom 3 is much scarier. Much more pop out scary as opposed to just some little girl running around. Well I'm scared of pop out than weird scary.

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I'm getting my copy tommorow. To me the demo was far scarier than doom3, since I am totally desensitized to american horror, but I find japanese style horror (the grudge, the ring) really scary. The game design is also far superior to Doom3. Doom3 used monster closets (monsters would just pop out of nowhere, which is about as uncreative as you can get), and the action was very old school. F.E.A.R. is new in pretty much every way. The reviews for F.E.A.R. are awesome so far, so its a safe bet.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited October 2005
    Options
    have you seen the panics video?

People acting normal in crazy situations.

Go download them the people who made FEAR made the video and they are a riot!

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2005
    Options
    The visible shockwaves from the nades kick arse.
  • nadams
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Been playing FEAR all afternoon... this game really rocks. A few spots are near impossibly hard, but after a few tries, I've been steadily progressing. There are a few parts that make you jump!

It's nuts how good the AI is in this game. They'll knock over shelves for cover, jump through windows to get out or into a firefight... if you pin them down behind a barrel or something, they'll sit there for a while, and then run out (away) with their gun pointed behind them, firing blindly at you. It really is fun to watch the AI interact with the environment in this game!

The world isn't quite as unique as, say, Half-life 2, in that you can't pick up or move everything around you. Crates are stationary, as are barrels... the body movements are as fluid as HL2, though.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Anything else about FEAR we should know? Sounds like a great game... i told my wife to buy it for Xmas for me :)
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Fallen Kell
    Fallen Kell Posts: 94
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Yeah, if you have kids in the house, you are gonna need to kick them out :P
  • nadams
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Oh yeah, TONS of language in this one. I played w/ headphones the whole way through. Better environment anyway.

Your opponents swear alot when you're shooting at them, etc. It's really a great game though. The AI will blow you away...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MrNightly
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Yeah, if you have kids in the house, you are gonna need to kick them out :P

Nice... nothing wrong with a few words here and there... :) How does it compare to FarCry as in language? FC wasn't bad, but if you sat and scoped out people with the 'nocs, you'd hear a tad bit.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2005
    Options
    The screenshots of this game look incredible.

I am downloading the demo right now. Just in time for the arrival of my new PC surround sound system.
  • nadams
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Well, for language.... a lot of times if you start shooting up a room, one of your opponents will yell "****!" or "****!" A lot of "F" word use throughout the game in dialog and such... I forget some of the other phrases that they use when you're in a firefight. BTW- this might be why they say "rated M for Blood and gore, intense violence, and strong language". Not sure if you can turn off the profanity or not, but it didn't really bother me that much.

It really is a good game. My new GeForce NX6600GT handled it okay. I would benefit from a better computer, though. I'm starting to hit the limits on my old Athlon XP 2200+. I especially noticed that the bodies didn't stick around for very long after I killed them, whereas on a better machine, they will stay on the ground forever (even between saves, or if you have to walk back through a spot you've already been in). I could've turned that on myself, but didn't want to effect the performance of the game.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MrNightly
    edited October 2005
    Options
    nadams wrote:
    Well, for language.... a lot of times if you start shooting up a room, one of your opponents will yell "****!" or "****!" A lot of "F" word use throughout the game in dialog and such... I forget some of the other phrases that they use when you're in a firefight. BTW- this might be why they say "rated M for Blood and gore, intense violence, and strong language". Not sure if you can turn off the profanity or not, but it didn't really bother me that much.

It really is a good game. My new GeForce NX6600GT handled it okay. I would benefit from a better computer, though. I'm starting to hit the limits on my old Athlon XP 2200+. I especially noticed that the bodies didn't stick around for very long after I killed them, whereas on a better machine, they will stay on the ground forever (even between saves, or if you have to walk back through a spot you've already been in). I could've turned that on myself, but didn't want to effect the performance of the game.

Very nice. I'm running a p4 3.6ghz, 1.5 gig memory, sb audigy lz something-or-other sound card ;) and gonna upgrade my 9800pro for a radeon 850XT or something-or-other. As you can tell, i researched this a while ago.

Should kick ****!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805