Somebody here must have one for sale:).

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Yeah and after he gets his I'd like a quad, please. :)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2005
    Options
    How do you tell a smooth plate or not?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2005
    Options
    The frame supports do not have ribs perpindicular to the length. One smooth, raised center surface per support with two small, rectangular holes in the pair of side surfaces per support.

Maurice, I have ONE NOS Tele smooth plate. According to the date codes, it was manufactured in West Germany in October 1952. Diamond bottom, lettering is 8/10 (some smudged from riding in the box). I currently have nothing in my lineup that uses 12AX7's, so I can't attest to its virtues.

Here's a ribbed plate:
    bf_1.JPG
    Here's a smooth plate:
    bf_1_sbl.JPG
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Mike,
    Where the hell have you been man? Haven't seen you for so long. How's everything?

I only need one for the gain section on my ASL. Are you selling yours? Price?

Noel,
    Man, a quad is gonna cost you quite a bit. Have you tried the Ei yet? It's a copy of the smooth plate tele's. http://www.thetubestore.com/12ax7.html You can find the "Elite" version on tubedepot.com with gold pins.

Maurice
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Yeah I knew that, I was kinda joking. I've looked for them because I already have two that are the drivers in my monos. They are the smooth plates, but no diamond on the bottom. They were made in West Germany, and are in excellent condition for what I assume to be a pair from the late 50s or 60s. If I could find two more of these, I would get a pair of something else for the monos and put the quad in the MLP.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • organ
    edited October 2005
    Options
    That's awesome. I bet it would work out better in your rig. I hear the Tele's are the best if you're looking for a completely neutral sound. My system is doing very well here. To my ears at least :rolleyes: . Wanna see how far I could push it. It's not as neutral as my GTA but I love pushing this little ASL.

How do your Tele's sound?
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2005
    Options
    organ wrote:
    Mike,
    Where the hell have you been man? Haven't seen you for so long. How's everything?
    I only need one for the gain section on my ASL. Are you selling yours? Price?

Maurice

Hey Maurice,

I've been preoccupied with a large consulting job. I still drop by and read when I can and post the occasional music review.

I can let the Tele go. As noted, I have no idea how the tube sounds. I also have no way to judge its value -- it came to me in a larger deal, but appears to be completely new. Sorry, no original sleeve. I'd really rather trade for something than ask cash. I see them go for anywhere between $50 and $90 at tube dealers. PM me with your address and I'll send it to you to test drive.

Mike
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2005
    Options
    RuSs blessed me with a quad of smooth plates. How does hours and hours of listening sound. Well it sounds marvelous. Now the LPS Sovtek are very good and I really like them, the Tele's just give it that little extra pinch. Deep but tight bass, solid mids, juicy top end. Yea, you get all the little nuances of the strings getting plucked, the artist breathing and those little sounds when her lips come together or seperate. Now you can get those things with other tubes it just the way this one does it at least for me in the Reel Time Rig.

Definte smoking jacket time.

RT1
  • organ
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Mike,
    I'm sending you a PM as soon as I finish this post.

RT,
    Thanks for the description. That's the type of sound I'm looking for. I also hear Tele's last VERY long.

Maurice