SDA Placement and Bourbon

Options
Stew
Stew Posts: 645
edited October 2005 in Vintage Speakers
My SDA 2B's are finally placed where the manual says they should be! I bought them over 15 years ago and have always had to make compromises on their location. Until around 2:30 this morning, they were on the short wall of our basement den. When we moved into this house 3 years ago, I put them on the short wall because there's a wet bar (80's house) on one of the long walls.

After reading some of the placement threads on this site and a few minutes with a tape measure, I asked the wife what she would think about turning around our den. She said put it wherever I'm happy with it because she never goes down there anyway. Score!! The couch covers up part of the wetbar but now I don't have to go far to pour another bourbon! Maybe I'll rip out the wetbar one day, then again, I don't have to go far to pour another bourbon!

SDA's are 7 feet inside to inside, 5 inches off the wall, and more than 4 feet on the outsides. Listening position is about 7-1/2 feet back. Wow, I forgot how good these things sound when you put them in the right place. Now I just need those new tweeters and capacitors. Thanks to this forum for rekindling my interest. Prior to finding this place, I hadn't turned them on more than a couple of times in the last several years. Well, speaking of SDAs and bourbon ... I think I will.
SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
1000VA Dreadnought
Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
Post edited by Stew on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Excellent!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Sweeeeeet

Bdt
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2005
    Options
    :D ! :D ! :D ! :D! :cool: ! :cool: ! :cool: ! :cool:!
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited October 2005
    Options
    You have a great opportunity. Are these for 2-channel listening or Home Theater?

I have listened to my 2B's near-field with pre-Dolby laserdisc movies and can swear there is a center channel present.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Polk65 wrote:
    You have a great opportunity. Are these for 2-channel listening or Home Theater?

I have listened to my 2B's near-field with pre-Dolby laserdisc movies and can swear there is a center channel present.

Me too,, heck,, the wife got up and answered the door while watching a movie,,of course no one was there,,I love it :D:D:D
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Libations+sda= Great sounstage.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Stew
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Polk65 wrote:

Both, and you're right - It does sound like there's a center channel! The entertainment center/TV is between the speakers and extends several inches in front of the 2B's. There's 2 feet between each speaker and the entertainment center, though, so it doesn't seem to hurt the SDA.
    1000VA Dreadnought

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited October 2005
    Options
  • Stew
    edited October 2005
    Options
    ESAVINON wrote:
    Libations+sda= Great sounstage.

My kind of math problem! When I drink, I feel like a new man....Then he wants one too! Truthfully, between going to work and raising kids, there's no time to go out for a drink or three. It is nice on ocassion, though, to sip on a glass of good bourbon or scotch after the kids are in bed and enjoy the SDA's.
    1000VA Dreadnought

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • Stew
    edited October 2005
    Options
    When my speakers were on the short wall, bass was either weak or boomy. I moved them for the soundstage/imaging but hoped it would get rid of the boom (It did :D ). I was a little worried if there would be enough bass (There is! :D ) because one end of the room is open to a hallway and a stairwell to upstairs. That end is setup as a play area for the kids and bass drops off dramatically as you walk into the play area. The bass in the listening area is great! Not at all boomy but you can feel it even at low volumes. I wonder what the 1C's would sound like? Dreaming there for a minute. For this size room, the 2B's work great.
    1000VA Dreadnought

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605