New SDA SRS2 owner, help!!

Options
Tex
Tex Posts: 189
edited October 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Hello out there! I have been a Polk Audio fan since 1986 when I first saw the SDA speakers. I was in college at the time and could not afford them. I still can't, except for this pair I found in a local paper. The cabinets are a little rough but everything else looks good. The owner also told me that something is wrong with the tweeters. I have not hooked them up yet because I want to know what I need (minimum) to get started. I do not want to risk any damage. I have a Kenwood 100 watt receiver that I am currently using with some Bose 601's. I also need to find a pin/blade interconnect cable. They were only $135 and sure seemed like a good deal despite their problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by Tex on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,833
    edited October 2005
    Options
    You'll need to make a interconnect cable, simple enough to do. The blade wire isn't connected to the other end, it's just for support, so all you need is pin part, think RCA type terminal. New tweeters are available from Polk, call them Monday and be sure to mention you are a Club member. The new tweeters are different than the originals and they sound much better, so order all new ones. While you're ordering ask them for a copy of the owners manual, it will explain proper set up including info about not using non-common ground amps. As you're using a receiver, that's not a concern.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Congrats on your great find!! You did get a decent deal.

Your Kenwood receiver may very well not be up to the task. Is it a newer Kenwood? If so well, most here and me are going to recommend more power. You want high current for your new amp. You need a common ground amplifier (most are). General concensus is something around 200 watts per channel with high current but this is not written in stone. Your speakers are 6 ohm if they are the pin/blade interconnect.

The pin/blade SRS 2 were manufactured in 1987. The cable is not available, you will need to make your own. If you have an old sub cable laying around you can break off the grounding ring and just run the pin to the pin. If you dont have one you can use some speaker wire. There are connectors available if you choose to build a nice one. The blade portion is not necessary when using a common ground amplifier.

Polk does have your tweeter available for purchase for 48.00 ea, tell them you are a Club Polk member and you will get a little discount. This is the replacement tweeter which corrected a slight problem with your sl2000 tweeters in your speakers. I have some orininal sl2000 which work fine I can sell you if you want, just PM me if you want to discuss.

If you could put some pictures up of the speakers it would help. First we love pictures also we can verify everything. There are some tremendous people here with great knowledge of these speakers.

Well that is a start, as you have questions just post. And most of all Welcome to Club Polk. :)

Edit: I forgot, I would not go buying tweeters till you know that is what you need. Something with the tweeters is a little vague and some more info would be most helpful. Besides the board here you can call Polk Customer Service directly, you want to talk to Ken Swauger, he is the man.

RT1
  • Tex
    edited October 2005
    Options
    The guy I bought these from said something about the tweeters fading out. Is it ok to go ahead and hook them up to the Kenwood to test them out?
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2005
    Options
    You can take some speaker wire to use temporarily as an interconnect. It should go from pin terminal to pin terminal. The KW will be okay for now, but it's not gonna make them sing. The tweeter fade out problem could have to do with the polyswitches getting old. They are the tweeter protection devices on the crossovers. You can get those from Polk also.

Welcome to Club Polk
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2005
    Options
    If he was running some kind of receiver and juicing the power the poly switches would do there job and shut off the tweeters before they were ruined. Go ahead and hook up the Kenwood just dont get that volume knob on it much further than 10-11 o'clock. Now if he did this alot the switches get weak and heat up faster than normal, when they heat up they shut off the power to the tweeters.

RT1
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited October 2005
    Options
    You got a great deal on those. A pair just sold on ebay for 1100 bucks. Ditto for what the other guys said. Your tweets may be ok just the switches kicking off. If they work at all the tweets are probably good. Like they said, a powerful amp will make em sing. Just decide where to put them and leave em there. Them suckers are heavy. Enjoy.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Tex
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I have hooked up the speakers and have played them about 10 minutes. One tweeter is not working at all. The other three seem to be working. I am planning on upgrading to the new tweeters because I have heard they are better than the originals. Does it matter what gauge speaker wire to build the interconnect?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,833
    edited October 2005
    Options
    2 gauge should do the trick. ;)

The original is 16/2, so anything below that is fine.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Good catch on the SRS 2's,once you get em' performing properly,you'll love em'...