Church sub project

Options
burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited October 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Thought I'd share a couple of construction pics of the sub I'm building for our church.

For size reference, notice my full-sized BD drill and a CD. The cabinet doesn't have to be pretty - it will be covered with carpet, complete with road handles, protective corners, a castored base, etc. It DOES have to be a tank - I'm not done with the internal bracing yet.

Peavey 18" Lowrider; 9ft3 acoustic volume, 5.5"x10"x12.5" port; 1000w amp.

First pic is front of baffle; second pic is driver (with a CD); third pic is rear of baffle - you can see the second-layer "inset" panel screwed to the outer baffle, which has the nest for the port. This will get a layer of plywood over it for the driver screws to bite.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Your church will be boomin' in no time!
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    edited October 2005
    Options
    The Church of House, Techno, and Latter Day Saints!!!
    :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited October 2005
    Options
    impressive!

always good to add a lil thump to your prayer!

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • Tritonman
    Tritonman Posts: 159
    edited October 2005
    Options
    You heard it here...God love's Bass :)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I'm sure you already have this but just in case...

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pdf/spec/661354.pdf

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I hope you reinforced the stained glass windows... :cool:
  • burdette
    edited October 2005
    Options
    amulford wrote:
    I hope you reinforced the stained glass windows... :cool:

Funny you should say that. The tech sheet on the driver (the same one Max linked to) specifically has a disclaimer about *structural damage* to your facility. Peavey is telling you before hand "don't sue US if your building falls down around your sub."
  • madmax
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I know what the specs says and all but I bet it will be like a pro JBL sub driver I tried. Not really a sub as we know it but a very good bass speaker. Let us know how it turns out.
    madmax

• burdette
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Well, we're not looking for response to 15hz for home theater. The goal is to fill in the bottom end on the bass guitar and electric piano/organ for a large room.

Peavey calls the driver a "subwoofer", which is probably why I'm using that term. The tuning will be around 30Hz, which is below the average full-range system. Heck, that is lower than a lot of "subwoofers" out there.

But overall I'd agree with you... low-bass sound reinforcement.
  • madmax
    edited October 2005
    Options
    The JBL I tried was put in one of those "Voice of the Theater" boxes. I crossed it over just like I would an ordinary sub and although it produced a lot of bass it didn't "seem" very loud. The test was done in my basement and it ripped loose my water pipes. I guess at the right frequency they started moving like a guitar string. Funny but it ripped certain ones loose and others stayed attached. I'm guessing that the pipes really did act like guitar strings which means some parts were moving and others were stationary. Luckily no harm was done, I just nailed the holders back in.

I sure it will sound good for you. You should get a lot of output with the 97db eff. Good luck!
    madmax

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Well, I am only partially kidding. The sheer force of the low freq wave will rattle the windows. Since stained glass is made the way it is, you could conceivably rattle it loose if your not careful. It dosen't have to be cranked to have the effect...
  • burdette
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Oh, I agree with you. I know how a good sub can shake things up. Anyone who's been in a house when a dump truck (etc) passes by and the house starts shaking can attest to the power of low-frequency sound energy. Shoot - they use it to bust up kidney stones.

As I said, Peavey specifically speaks to potential structural damage.

Fortunately for this project - at least for now - this church has a long-term building plan, and for now meets in what will eventually be the "recreation room". No stained glass windows. In fact, few windows at all. Just really tall cinder-block walls.