Please help with speaker situation...

Options
wcostin
wcostin Posts: 25
edited September 2001 in Technical/Setup
I started buying stereo equipment several years ago, but after getting married back in '96 I have been away from it. I am looking to upgrade a few things and need help with my speaker situation.
First, I must state that I am not up-to-date on much and that I don't have a desire to have a top of the line system, just a nice, small home theater.

Before getting married I lived in a small apartment and aquired the following equipment: Denon AVR 900 receiver, an Onkyo CD player, Polk CS100 center channel, Polk Monitor Series 2 bookshelf speakers, and I had previously owned Boston A40 bookshelf speakers. I am going to buy a DVD player, which has gotten my moving.

My question is...are any of my speakers really worth keeping? I have been thinking of purchasing a Polk satellite system and selling the speakers above. However, I was wandering if my current speakers (all are in excellent shape) would work better, after the purchase of a subwoofer, than a satellite system? I was thinking that I could use the Polks on stands for the front and the Bostons in the rear. I would appreciate any advice that can be given.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to any advice.

Wayne
Post edited by wcostin on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Wayne,
    Try what sounds best to YOU. Stick the A40's in the back. Whatever you do, don't dump the A40's. They were really nice little speakers in their day, and would do just fine in an office, garage, or bedroom set-up if they don't cut it as rears. Boston sold a BOATLOAD of those, mainly because they sounded okay. I remember getting a demo of those in a shop, and they were obviously pushing the competition. The A40's required a little more "oomph", and when I gave it to them, the salesman looked at the floor. There was no comparison between them and the competition when they were driven properly.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)