How much tube power for sda1c's ???

Options
mesquitehead
mesquitehead Posts: 312
edited October 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I am downsizing my system and selling off lots of my HT stuff due to some health issues and the fact that I like 2 channel more than HT anyway. I am considering the purchase of a tube integrated or a tube pre and a ss amp to listen to with my sda's and rega planar 3 TT. I would appreciate any tips/advice on this subject would be appreciated...I have listed my Parasound hca2205a for sale and will pay Doctor bills with part and buy gear with the rest and put my measly HK reciever back into my HT set up. My budget is 550-600 used.. but I am wondering what it will take to make my SDA's sing sweetly. Thanks...Mikel
"Thats great... but how does it sound"
http://www.burginmcdaniel.com/

http://mixonline.com/gear/reviews/audio_burgin_mcdaniel_komit/

Yamaha RX-A820 (networked with wireless bridge), Carver M-1.0t, Carver TFM-35, Carver C-1, Polk SDA1c's (x2 pair), Polk RTA 8tl's, Polk RTA 11tl's, Polk Monitor 5, Polk CS 400, Polk PSW 650, Rega Planar 3, Sony DVPNC555ES SACD/DVD, Panny 65" Plasma, Roku

2007 Tundra 5.7 TRD DC
Pioneer DEH-80PRS
Polk SR6500
SI BM 12" subs
Zed Gladius
Zed Deuce
Post edited by mesquitehead on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Mikel,
    Best wishes on the health thing. Sorry to hear.

I wouldn't go with anything smaller than about 50 watts per channel. Amps with 12 to 35 watts really don't cut it with the 1C's. That leaves you the choice of EL-34 or 6550/KT-88 tubes. If you want something really nice in your price range let me know as I have a few to sell and I'll send you some pics. Special discount for a vinyl spinner. :)

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Madmax,

Don't hord the ****, let it go man let it go. Let us fellow polkies experience what you got, not enough stuff coming on the FM.

CRj
  • 00p225
    00p225 Posts: 100
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I think you could find a used Jolida 502 in your price range. I ran a Jolida 801 with 70wpc into my SDA-1C's, and it sounded nearly as powerfull as my 200wpc soundcraftsmen. You could always upgrade the amp with botique components later. No phono stage on these though :mad:
    Main System
    Pre - Homebrew 12au7 tube preamp
    Amp - Eico HF-87 with EHEL34's
    Source - Modded Toshiba 3950
    Interconnects - DIY Belden
    Speakers - Polk SDA-1C

Basement System
    Pre - McIntosh C-28
    Amp - McIntosh MC2100
    Source - Modded Toshiba 3960
    Tape - Pioneer RT-707
    Turntable - Thorens TD150MKII with Denon DL-160
    Speakers - Pioneer HPM-100
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Singing sweetly at what volume level?

I have a HK Citation 24 (100 wpc) that clips like crazy before I get to the listening level that opens up my 1Cs with this particular SS amp. With my Odyssey Stratos, I get the open, airy sound at much less volume and can get them to easily output a solid 105 dbs continous without any strain with the 150/8ohm 260/4ohm wpc of the Stratos. I can get the Stratos to close down its dynamics when pushed another 5db beyond this point, but I can't listen this loud for very long anyway, its too hard on my old ears.

BTW, the open, airy sound I like only started happening when I put a tube pre in the SS amp mix.

I found with with tube amps, those using quad El 34s tend to struggle driving the 1Cs but those with KT88s or 6550 do a nice job. I don't get 105 dbs with the tube amps, but for critical listening sessions at around 85 dbs, they really cruise right along.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • mesquitehead
    mesquitehead Posts: 312
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I have been known to get some db's going at times so that is a consideration. I am getting into the analog listening arena and find digital to be boring as hell these days. I really appreciate all the input from those who have been down this road !!!
    "Thats great... but how does it sound"
    http://www.burginmcdaniel.com/

http://mixonline.com/gear/reviews/audio_burgin_mcdaniel_komit/

Yamaha RX-A820 (networked with wireless bridge), Carver M-1.0t, Carver TFM-35, Carver C-1, Polk SDA1c's (x2 pair), Polk RTA 8tl's, Polk RTA 11tl's, Polk Monitor 5, Polk CS 400, Polk PSW 650, Rega Planar 3, Sony DVPNC555ES SACD/DVD, Panny 65" Plasma, Roku

2007 Tundra 5.7 TRD DC
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Polk SR6500
    SI BM 12" subs
    Zed Gladius
    Zed Deuce