speaker positioning

trubluluc
trubluluc Posts: 2,067
edited September 2001 in Technical/Setup
Hi all,

Know every room is different, but are there some general stratagies in speaker placement?

How far from the wall should the back of the speakers be?
Better set at 45 degree angle in a corner? etc.

-luc
Post edited by trubluluc on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2001
    It depends on the design of the speaker. Some are designed to be placed right up against the back wall, some are not. Some are designed for corner placement (for low end boost), some are not. Some are designed to be "toed-in" towards the listener, some are not.

In a lot of cases, the speakers should be as far away from all reflecting surfaces (floor, ceiling, back wall, side walls) as possible. A lot of speakers ARE designed for some toe-in, but perhaps not as drastic as 45 degrees. The back wall is the wall BEHIND the speakers.

You need to screw around with placement, and see what makes YOUR ears smile the most. If listening to all the pro advice, and following up on it makes YOU think your speakers sound bad, than by all means experiment with all the wrong things and see how that pans out. Was anything at all addressed in the owners manual?

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • trubluluc
    edited September 2001
    Thanks George,

Running 1000's for front (A ) and 800's (B).
    The 1000 center channel,
    500's surround, and twin 450's subs.
    Not much was said in the respective manuals,
    excepting the 500's.
    My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts (she's not alone) for having so
    many speakers going, especially since the room is not very large.
    I'm a base freak, so at first I had them all backed up against the walls. But I'm beginning to see it's possible to have too much of a good thing.

-luc
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited September 2001
    I find your post interesting..I have the same set up (dont know what reciever your using- me Yammie 795a) except the 400i center and 300 rears... you may want to check out my site on how I did mine..not saying its right/wrong..just ideas......though I do have a large room with this stuff :)

good luck..Thomas

http://www.homestead.com/THOMAS2307/THOMASWORLD.HTML
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited September 2001
    What's the deal with having RT1000's and RT800's? Are you just trying to add more fill to your L&R channels?

Aaron
  • trubluluc
    edited September 2001
    Aaron,

I added the 800's on the B side for more high end when listening to music, in the 2 channel mode. There are two mid-range drivers there, and I think having music coming from a couple directions feels fuller.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2001
    And isn't what sounds best to THEE, the object of this whole hobby? Interesting move Trubluluc.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)