Found Used Monitor 5s for $11!!!! And 2 Questions 1 painting polks 2 Athena vs Polk

Options
adcprod
adcprod Posts: 14
edited October 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I'm quite excited by my recent find at a local Salvation Army especially because these same speakers are on ebay for...

I've been a huge fan of polk for about a decade. I use relativley recent bookshelf speakers at my studio monitors (RT25I), because I believe that the Polks are more accurate than many of the higher priced offerings in the audio production marketplace.

Now I have question of aesthetics, not of the sound -- I'm blown away by these older Monitor 5s -- it has to do with the look. I've been wanting to put my RT25I speakers in my Surround setup in our living room. I'd like to add the older Monitor 5s, but my wife won't hear of it. The color doesn't match the decor.

So I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to paint the Monitor 5s black and have them still look good? Did they even come in all black? If it can even be done well, it is bad form to paint a vintage speaker?

2. I have been looking at Athena speakers. Now I know that might be heresy here. I love Polks, but I can get Athena speakers at wholesale prices (I can't get Polks at anywhere near those prices, at least in decent colors). How does Athena stack up? I've heard some reviews that say Athenas are better (I'm a little suspicious of that), but for me the price is less than half for comparable size (in fact, slightly larger Athena speakers) and perhaps quality. What would you guys do. I'm not made of $$$ here.

:confused:
Post edited by adcprod on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2005
    Options
    1. i think it would be bad form to paint a speaker if it's real wood. it's it's vinyl, i wouldn't see any problem with it. black might look pretty good.

2. I can't speak for all Athena speakers... but i have heard a couple of people in here use them. I do too. I use a pair of AS B-1's for my computer 2 channel only rig. I like em. as far as being better or superior to Polks, i don't think they compare in sound or price. THe Athenas are less expensive.. and do not sound as good. so you get what you pay for i guess.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I have Athena's as well for my computer system. I'd say if the cost of the Athena's is much less than it would be worth it. Comparing them head-to-head at roughly the same cost I'd say the Polk's are better. I really like the Athena AS-B1 for my application and couldn't see spending 2-3 times as much for Polk on my2nd system. Now if you are talking classic Polks like the 5B's then I'd say no contest go for the 5B's. The 5B's were my first Polk way back when and I will always like those speakers. They were just too big for my application so I bought the Athena's. I ended up buying my Athena AS-B1 new in the box for $79 a pair. Absolutely the best bargain I've ever gotten on this type of thing.

Good luck

H9

P.s. the Polk's I'm refering to are the RTi or RT line. I'm not too sure the R15's are better than the Athena's. Certainly if you can get the R15's for $50 which is common you should consider them. For much more I think the Athena's have much better mid's and highs....much smoother, more natural.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Also about painting.....I would recommend looking into getting a pre-glued black veneer. I've seen at places like Home Depot, Menards and I'm sure parts express would have something like that. That way you can just redo the veneer. I'm not sure what skills it would take but it certainly would be worth looking into as painting isn't the best alternative. IMO, the painting would look pretty lousy. Those 5B's have a vinyl veneer wrap and wouldn't take to painting very well. You might turn them into FrankenPolks

Although then they would be just in time for Halloween.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2005
    Options
    another vote for black veneer, especially if your trying to make the wifey happy.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites