Revolution controller revealed

Options
fireshoes
fireshoes Posts: 3,167
edited October 2005 in Video Games
I guess that gyroscope talk wasn't too far off...

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html
Post edited by fireshoes on

Comments

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited September 2005
    Options
    are they insane? they are trying to reinvent the wheel. no one wants to play a FPS with a remote control. geeze
  • fireshoes
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I'm excited by the potential of it. When I first saw a picture I was like, "WTF? A remote?" Then I read about it, then I saw it action. The possibilities are endless.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Airplay355 wrote:
    are they insane? they are trying to reinvent the wheel. no one wants to play a FPS with a remote control. geeze

Are you kidding me? If that thing could be moved around like it were a gun being pointed around, it would be awesome. I would love a controller like that, that performed outside of the buttons. I think it has the potential for brilliance.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I don't like it.

Why? Because I move my controller around, I learn it to the side and back... I dont feel like relying on the inaccuracy of my shakey hands to control Master Cheif going through Halo. It sounds way to sensitive to movements...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited September 2005
    Options
    It seems a little wierd. I'm sure there are going to be a bunch of cool things to do with it, but other things may suck (especially over long game play). The biggest problem is you will have to buy it to find out.
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I liked what nintendo exec Shigeru Miyamoto said.

For months, years even, we've been hearing Nintendo reiterate that it does not want to be part of the same battle that Sony and Microsoft are deeply entrenched in. However, with a system like GameCube, the comparisons are inevitable. With Revolution and its one-of-a-kind approach to the controller, drawing these parallels just became a lot more difficult. This was an important message from Nintendo in our meeting. It wants to explore uncharted waters, be a blue ocean company, and not find itself sailing the bloody waters where the competition resides.

That is what gamers "need" to hear. If Nintendo won't do this, we will be stuck with MS and Sony, and we will get what is safe for them, they are not going to go out on a limb and do what Nintendo is doing. It could mean failure.

Kudos to Nintendo....I think I will buy the revolution.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • fireshoes
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Pablo wrote:
    It seems a little wierd. I'm sure there are going to be a bunch of cool things to do with it, but other things may suck (especially over long game play). The biggest problem is you will have to buy it to find out.

Have you no friends, man?! ;)
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited September 2005
    Options
    you don't have to rub it in :(
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Here is another thing I dont like...

It just isnt geared torwards some games by the layout it seems. I dont know how large this remote is - but I dont know about you, my thumb cant go more than a few inches up and down... and trying to hit a key on the other end of the remote would be hard to do - and not to mention with the sensitivity of the remote on movements, you move it - your guy moves.

It just looks like Nintendo is abandoning FPS games all together with this controller...

I dont see how you can be fast enough or accurate enough for those types of controller to actually compete...

And considering the majority of gamers are in their 30's... hmmm... I doubt we will see Microsoft doing this anytime soon.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Well, its not like ALL games must use the motion technology, its simply an option for games that want to utilize it. Also, I can see the remote being used more like the original Nintendo controller when held to the side. I see it being a very diverse, flexible controller, especially with the add-on ability.
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Im fairly skeptical I guess. It looks like it has potential, but your talking to a fan of the "Duke" controller from the first release of the XBox. That controller fits my hands to the T, the buttons feel right, everything about that controller works for me.

However, controllers like the ones on the Gamecube, PS, Microsoft's S controller just make my hands ache something fierce after small amounts of game play. ESPEICALLY Gamecube's controller...

My point of saying the above is a controller that is as wide as a remote, about 1.5-2" - turned side ways, operating it with two thumbs - just dosnt seem doable to me. Especially since the trigger is in the regular position...

I just dont see it being geared torwards gaming as much as it is kids and convienence.
  • SniperREX
    SniperREX Posts: 930
    edited September 2005
    Options
    fireshoes wrote:
    I'm excited by the potential of it. When I first saw a picture I was like, "WTF? A remote?" Then I read about it, then I saw it action. The possibilities are endless.

Ditto.

I was bashing the Revolution, but now it seems hot to me.

Another score for Nintendo after the DS? Maybe.

TVs: Samsung S95B 65" QD-OLED (den) and LG C2 42" OLED (office)
    Receiver: Denon AVR-X3700H (den) and Denon AVR-X2300W (den)
    SACD and DVD-A player: Oppo BDP-83
    Mains: Polk RTi8 (den) and Dali Ikon 8 (office)
    Center: Polk CSi5 (den) and Polk CSi3 (office)
    Surrounds: Polk FXi5 (den) and Velodyne surrounds (office)
    Sub: SVS PB-2000 (den) and PCi 16-46 (office)
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited September 2005
    Options
    It all comes down to whether or not they plan to go in 'kiddie' mode again. If they do, they're screwed, if not....well, they've got a bright future.

We've had this argument about Nintendo before, but the lack of 'Mature' games hasn't bode well for Nintendo. The other companies (Sony, Microsoft) cover the entire market of gamers with the 'Mature' and the 'Child' games.

The controler is interesting looking. I can't imagine it being horrible. This is Nintendo we're talking about. They're not going to make a poorly designed controler since the bar has been set by the last few gaming systems that have come out and I'm sure they've done their R&D.
  • Fallen Kell
    Fallen Kell Posts: 94
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I don't know why everyone is bashing the controller for use in FPS's. If anything, this will rule FPS's! Think about it, and really look at that video again. With the add on piece that has a more standard looking analog stick for movement (straff left/right, run forward/reverse) and a button or two to allow you to change from straff to turn left/right, now add in the fine tuning aiming by the motion sensing remote control part, and all I can say is, WHY HASN'T SOMEONE ALREADY THOUGH OF IT!!! This is even better then light guns, since it will allow easy control of up/down/left/right for panning the screen for use in aiming!

Now, add in all the other uses available, and it can rule. Want to play baseball, well swing that bat boys and girls. Want to play the drums a-la Donkey Konga, well now you have drumsticks. How about some tennis? Or hockey? How about some real sword swinging action in the next Zelda? Or, or... etc., etc.... This list will simply go on and on. You like car racing? Well buy a small add-on steering wheel (circle which clips the controler into the middle) and do some real driving (this might even come with the first car racing game to use it).... Use your imagination everyone and start thinking outside the box.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited October 2005
    Options
    How about the fact that doing all of those actual actions, IE playing baseball, hockey, tennis and steering requires that you aren't always looking forward. It's gonna be duck hunting all over again. I agree that it will kick **** for some games. But say you are walking around in Zelda, and then it's time to swing your sword. Continueing to move and dodge attacks will be hard when you are swinging around the controller. I'll stick to Doom and Halo. All you Final Fantasy and Nintendog people can have fun with the remote.
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Ok, I have to jump in this one.
    Some of you guys missed a big part of the whole release, they're coming out with a Shell for the "remote." Not only does this allow conventional gameplay because features are optional, this will be interesting, because you could not only use standard controlling features, via buttons, it can also sense how you move the controller doing something else if the developer would so choose, I know all of you guys have thrashed your controller around at least once while playing wishing it would help ;)

Sid - no worries about over sensitivity, I'm sure they'll have a sensitivity adjustment, if you look at computer FPSs, they usually (though not always) have an adjustment to make it more or less sensitive to your mouse.

The add-on thing seems slightly capitalistic, but overall, when you look at how Nintendo *usually* dolls out accesories, I wouldn't be too worried.

Lastly, (as I seem to have gone on a rant) I remain fairly optimistic, I mean, look at the Nintendo DS. Everybody said that it would flop, and now it's doing really well, with tons of games coming out weekly. It's hard to say how well this system will do, but looking as how it hasn't entered in the MS/Sony pissing match, It's very exciting becuase they will hopefully put out games that are different, stylistic, and at the very least, not like everything else out there.

Closing points, no Microsoft won't be using this anytime soon, Nintendo got intellectual rights on the controller, so they won't be able to steal the idea and use for themselves, as they probably would, same goes with Sony. (Rumble anyone?)
    And lastly, for those who say the Gamecube is for kids only, no. I mean that nicely, but, I don't think Resident Evil (all six of them, a few which are only for Gamecube), Geist, Spawn:Armegeddon, Hitman, etc. are suitable for kids. Most people tend to look at Mario and stuff and kinda overlook some pretty bloody games on the system.
  • Fallen Kell
    Fallen Kell Posts: 94
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Airplay355, you missed the point again and the idea here. The motion sensing controls are only PART of the system. The other part is the standard analog stick control. That is where the major part of the movement will be done, but the ability to quickly and easily aim using the motion sensing part will add to it. No need to get turned around, and no point to it either. In fact I don't remember being turned around in Duck Hunt either...

Will you be able to use it as a normal controller? Heck yes. Can developers continue to make games the same old way on the new system? Again, heck yes. But the question that you should be asking is, why would they want to? Again, they have a whole new realm of user interface and interaction to utilize. Forget force feedback/rumble, they now have full movement interaction.

Oh, you need to move and swing that controller at the same time? Go actually LOOK at the video. You will notice a SECOND controller piece connected with a wire to the "remote control" part, which has an analog stick and several buttons. Hmmm... I wonder what that is for. Could it possibly be that it fits in the OTHER hand, the one that is NOT "swinging around", so that you CAN move and dodge and swing ALL at the SAME time? Again, you most definitely seem to be bashing this before you have even looked at it.
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited October 2005
    Options
    On a more positive note, I beleive that you can use the old controllers from gamecube on the revolution, it's speculation, but it'd seem logical with their announced back catalog support. So it shouldn't be all about the new controller, althought that may be the neat new feature that would really make this launch shine.