I hate this hobby......

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,078
edited October 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I've been eyeing new mains for a long time. The Def Tech BP30...

I was going to buy them originally when I was searching for new mains but went with the BP10B instead... Not sure whether this is a mistake or not as those are my babies... haha

But anyways... here I am - slowly getting some money together and trying to remember I can NOT* spend it on speakers/audio related things - god this is HARD...

I hate cars... I mean really - I hate them... every aspect about them leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2005
    Options

I hate cars... I mean really - I hate them... every aspect about them leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

except for the fact that you need them to get from point A to point B

sorry brotha, your gonna need the car. gotta get to work, the store, hang out, and of course for chicks!

priorities suck, and the bad news is, it will only get worse as you get older :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I feel REAL sorry for you. You, 16 year old Sid, fighting the urge to upgrade your $1000 speakers, to $1400 speakers. The shear agony you must be going through! The sleepless nights! The pain!

Too bad. Looks like your stuck between a bipole rock, and a better sound hard place.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited October 2005
    Options
    It is sad... :(

Nah... I'm not looking forwards to insurance and gas payments...

Oh yeah...

I can pick up a pair of BP30 for less than the cost of a RTi8 new... no way I would pay that much for speakers... lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I can pick up a pair of BP30 for less than the cost of a RTi8 new... no way I would pay that much for speakers... lol

Then what's stopping you?? Sounds like the bargain of the year. :eek:
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Think of it this way. With the new car, you can get the new job, to pay for the new speakers.....

I wish.....
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2005
    Options
    If you are looking for sympathy......lemme think.....NOT.

Wait until you have actual responsibilities.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Who said I was looking for you to play me a small violin?

I know what I have to do. I know what I have to do to get to where I need to be.

I was stating a fact.

Jeez...

ND13 - the BP30 sells for 600-700 + S on EBay and Agon all the time.

The BP20 sells for around 500 + S all the time - it isnt as good as the BP30, but still a good speaker...
  • TroyD
    edited October 2005
    Options
    You posted, I responded.

Sorry it wasn't the response you were looking for. I'll try and do better next time.

BDT
  • VR3
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Thanks!

All I'm stating... is it is hard to go from spending money on audio for 3-4 years straight, no other responsibilities - then having to stop all at once - its weird...

Hmmm...
  • TroyD
    edited October 2005
    Options
    ...and I'm saying BOO-freakin'-HOO.

Wait until you have REAL responsibilities. Right now, you are only torn between deciding on which luxury you are going to blow your wad on. That's a REAL shame you got there.

BDT
  • VR3
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Let me just sum this up...

Arguing my stand on what I have to do in the near future is not worth it. Apparently you have me pinned as some spoiled lil brat? Well - thats ok.

I worked for my stereo in sweat and blood, and I'm going to work for my car, its payments and maintence in sweat and blood. So get over it.
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Even some if not most of the older guys have to balance the luxury of Audio Gear and the necessities of living......unless of course you are really $rich$.

Welcome to reality........ :) you are not alone.
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Thanks!

All I'm stating... is it is hard to go from spending money on audio for 3-4 years straight, no other responsibilities - then having to stop all at once - its weird...

Hmmm...
    Yeah, that would be weird..makes a guy think about "other" things.
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2005
    Options

No, it's called life Sid. As you continue to walk the line of life, you will encounter an array of hurdles and stumbling blocks. They are called sacrifices. When you accept other more major responsibilities like a wife, children, and a house, the sacrifices escalate. But at some point in your life you do not view these as sacrifices. It's called love and the neat deal is you do not even see it coming. It brings joy from within to be able to bring a smile to someone’s face that depends on you and the mere thought of having to give something up in order to provide for someone else is not even part of the equation. Hell, if someone had of told me this 20 years ago, I would have said "Ya Right." Go ahead. But put this e-mail away and dig it out 20 years from now and read it. You have a long ride ahead of you and it can be a fun ride. Do want you want to do, enjoy life and watch the unexpected occur.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Save your money for the car. Some day soon you will become interested in the opposite sex, and you'll need something to give them a ride in. :)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Sid, man, you should be excited about getting a car. Whats up?? Planning on buying a POS or what?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Give the kid a freakin break! he's 16, Just because we all have responsibilities and can't just blow money anymore, and some have a bigger chip on their shoulders then others.. He's young and allowed to blow money, make mistakes and whine about what he wants to spend it on.. Grant it he has more money at his age then i ever did, I don't have a problem with it.. be it he works hard or is given some of it.. SO what.

Lets throw him into adult hood asap and scare him off of all the "worries" of adulthood.

when you get out of school/college and have real bills then you can worry about it, for now enjoy it. Cars are fun to have when your young, i bought my first car and paid for insurance myself but still lived at home.. my extra money went into the POS and going out, That's it..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited October 2005
    Options
    When I was young, I blew money all the time. Then came a wife and kids- fast forward 25 years- you have me putting together a system again.
    Its a cycle. Right now I'm wiring cash to my niece who got stuck in a bind.
    Life always takes priority over hobbies.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited October 2005
    Options
    and ley`s not forget about Car Audio..!!!

(just thought I`d throw that in there)!

pretty soon you`ll be spending so much time in you car or truck , that the CA bug is gonna bite..!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2005
    Options
    The car audio bug can be just as bad as the HS or HT bug. Actually, much worse because you can spend days on end tweaking everything in a car.

About the car, you can drive yourself to the next polkfest!!!

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited October 2005
    Options
    The fishkeeping bug got me....

expensive hobby too

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Just don't buy. When listening to your system try to appreciate it instead of thinking about ways to improve/upgrade. You'll never enjoy your system that way and upgrading won't stop. Like other's have mentioned, for your age you have a kick **** system.

Maurice