upgrades......

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited July 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
Just curious what folks think is the most signicant improvement that one can make in his rig. For example, what upgrade, in general do you think gives you the most bang for your buck? Say you could upgrade only one thing in your rig what would it be?

Just curious what others out there are thinking......

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    I can hear Mantis now, in a Beavis voice 'WIRE! WIRE! WIRE!'....

As far as the topic goes, I am looking at good high-mass, fillable stands, I'm fairly content with the rig for now....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited July 2002
    Russman,
    Yes Wire would be on top of my list as I have found it can make a big big difference.
    TroyD,
    I think reviewing the entire system owned and finding the weakest link would be what I would upgrade.
    Like check this out.If you have speakers that are great,good power amp,preamp,All Interconnects are of sound quality(Monster just for Russman),and you still have an older cd player with built in dac's or a transport with older external dac's that could be Improved,I would go there.Find a better cd player and or Dac's of better quality.
    I see things this way.What is the worst part of my system and how can I make it better.
    Amps is another great upgrade.Finding a better amp can make a real sonic dynamic difference.If your current amp lacks drive.
    In the end If all else is tight,changing out speaker wire or Interconnects can make the biggest inprovement.
    Last but not even close to least............CLEAN POWER.20 amp to the rig.On it's own circuit.Then a voltage stablizer.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    what I'm shooting for here guys, is what is the one thing in your rig that you want to upgrade. For me it's my rack. I'm just looking to see what the rest of the folks are pondering, gear-wise. Encourage a little forum participation, you know?

Everyone's case is different but, ok , all things being equal in this vein, I think the biggest upgrade in general is switching from a receiver to separates. In general I think that provides the most bang for the buck improvement.

BDT
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2002
    The whole damn thing! That doesn't count, huh? Then I guess I'd have to go with new speakers with a very close second going to the amp.

Aaron

...getting my edit on....

My next upgrade needs to be a dedicated HS room. I can't even listen to my system as is.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2002
    2 answers. In my own system, which is 2-ch, I'd change my Marantz stereo rcvr to a Magnum Dynalab stereo rcvr. The MD is actually a Simaudio (sp?) amp/preamp combined w/a Magnum Dynalab tuner into a one-piece unit. Yes, I know I oughta aim for seperates, but I'm fixated on the MD stereo rcvr.

In a general sense, back when I had a tabletop mini-system, the effect of adding good speakers was unbelievable. Even a $100-$200 system from Target sounded vastly better with some entry-level bookshelfs from MTX, who is known for car, but also makes home stuff. If you have a system when none of the components are that good, I'd say go for spkrs first.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    meestercleef, whatcha got for a Marantz there? If you ever think about parting with it, how bout you let me know?

BDT
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited July 2002
    For me it would be mono blocks.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    edited July 2002
    Mono blocks....

Why? What brand/model? What are they to replace?

Cheers,
    Curious Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited July 2002
    My total system is also getting a facelift.
    Audio wise I'm a lock on B&K......tried and true..almost got takin out by Rotel but the preamp just smokes Rotels.Amps are alot closer.
    Yes Troy I will be going seperates this time...away with the receivers forever.Once you cross there's no going back.
    Ref50(out 4th Quarter) a ref 2220 2 channel and a ref7270 7 channel.
    Speakers are the last on the what to buy list.Sub is locked need I say.But the lsi's are hanging tuff.time will tell.
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited July 2002
    RuSsMaN
    I'm looking for more clean power to replace my old Sony TA-N77ES amp/TA-E77ESD pre. They did very will with the 2B's, but I know the 2.3TL's would shine even more with a Class A, A/B amp. Under consideration are Bryston 7B-ST's, Belles 350 A's, Krell's older KSA line, Rotel RB-1090 dual mono (class B), maybe older Denon POA-6600's. I am open to suggestions/opinions. Anybody using any of the above?

F1nut, a future blockhead.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited July 2002
    I think my first step would be interconnects and/or speaker wire for both systems. Especially the under-utilized HS rig. But under-utilized = low priority.
    Either this or get one of my amps repaired to add the stacked front main thing to my HT rig without having to move my Dynaco.
    For video, the best thing I could do is get my old Panny repaired and put the Sony in the HS/bedroom rig. I don't watch many movies anymore, but if I did, I could really use a HDTV and a sub.

New HS rig: Dynaco amp & preamp driving Altec Lansing Segovias in different cabinets with a Sony Playstation for CD (very inconvenient) and a Sansui (hopefully) enroute.
    Man oh man, where to start. Besides wires and connectors. If I can build some decent sounding single driver speaker with a high impedence, I'm looking at a cheap tube amp. My buddy might sell me his DBX preamp. He won't part with his 200w/ch Denon amp. This is probably good as I am currently drawn to tubes and high efficiency anyways. My hunger is on. It's just more on various speaker designs and building a system around them.

P.S. I know damn well that the biggest improvement would be to dig around the basement and finding those FM headphones that I got for Christmas a few years back. I listen to public radio alot and right now am listening to a jambox type thing that's around the corner. But for some reason this would be a waste of time in my otherwise audio experience seeking world. WE SUCK!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2002
    Under consideration are Bryston 7B-ST's, Belles 350 A's, Krell's older KSA line, Rotel RB-1090 dual mono (class B), maybe older Denon POA-6600's.
    Sounds like you have a really good list there. Which of those have you demoed and what was your take on them?

Aaron
  • Systems
    edited July 2002
    Troy, you wouldn't be impressed. It's the SR4120, their current stereo rcvr, not one of the "classics". I think that you would do better with the current Rotel or Denon line. I got mine because I needed to do a trade-in, & the dealer was the only one in town who is very amenable to trade-ins. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's nothing special.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    Gotcha, I though you had an older 22XX series or some such thing. Thanks though....

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2002
    I'm not too proud, I'll take it when/if.......

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Systems
    edited July 2002
    Actually, I thought this thread was originally more about daydreaming than definite plans. I can't upgrade right now. The only thing about my rcvr that might make it even slightly attractive to a "high end" guy are the pre-outs, which would allow you to connect it to yer badass amp.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2002
    Thats why I'm eyeballin it brotha....when and if, when and if...... give a **** a shout.....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    meestercleef,

No, it's a cool piece of gear, don't get me wrong it's just I don't have any REAL use for it but I'll snag an old 22 series just on principle.

Troy
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2002
    Originally posted by TroyD
    Just curious what folks think is the most signicant improvement that one can make in his rig. For example, what upgrade, in general do you think gives you the most bang for your buck? Say you could upgrade only one thing in your rig what would it be?

Just curious what others out there are thinking......

BDT

for my small system. the two most recent improvments i made and they both made a difference. 1. mono blocks. Marantz MA500
    i highly suggest going with mono blocks that are the same brand as your receiver. This way they will blend better, instead of mixing different brands. I would think they were designed to compliment each other if you stay within the same family.
    2. interconnects between the mono blocks and the pre outs. I went with Catcables Silvercats. They added a little brightness but quite a bit more detail in the upper end. Bass did not change.. and only a slight openness in the mids. Very pleased with the Silvercats interconnect cables.

as for what i'd like to upgrade next.. well, i'm looking for a new rack to hold all the gear now. secondly.. i'd like to add a second, deeper sub.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2002
    '6 ch DVD audio is the future of recorded music!'

Wow, that is a **** sig line....

Cheers,
    Siggy
  • F1nut
    edited July 2002
    Originally posted by Aaron

Sounds like you have a really good list there. Which of those have you demoed and what was your take on them?

Aaron

None as yet, just been doing some homework. That is why I would like any feedback on those or other mono's.

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited July 2002
    Man, Russ is making up for lost time.....

BDT
  • danger boy
    edited July 2002
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    '6 ch DVD audio is the future of recorded music!'

Wow, that is a **** sig line....

Cheers,
    Siggy

If you've heard 6 channel DVD audio.. you'd probably agree. beats the heck out of 2 channel 16 bit audio hands down.

as for a **** sig line... if you only knew brother. :lol:
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2002
    Beats 2ch? How about you take a poll around here, we will see which format is left standing.... ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • danger boy
    edited July 2002
    Opps! wrong thread to be debating 2 ch vs 6 (much better) ch audio. my bad.

Danger boy quickly exits stage left. leaving skid marks on the floor

ciao!:p
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited July 2002
    bang for the buck, it would be a good subwoofer, of chorse
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • mantis
    edited July 2002
    I'm with yeah on the 6 ch is the way of the future and is making a strong run right now.
    Most people don't want 2 channel anymore.Go see what sells and what don't.
    I personally like both,we all grew up in a mono to stereo world.Quad came and went now 6 ch music.Very good.
    Whats all this **** you talk about Russ??Are you trying to come out of the closet or something????Spill the beans man we will still love ya.
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited July 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    I'm with yeah on the 6 ch is the way of the future

Talk about a gimmick, Mantis. I've never heard a live performance that came at me in 360 degrees. No way, not now, not ever!!!

Now, I would really like to hear about your vast and varied knowledge concerning mono blocks.

just a crazy F1nut

President of Club Polk