Diy Project Using Polk Speakers- some help please -

Options
bladerunner
bladerunner Posts: 7
edited October 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
hello: this is my first post, i'm from argentina...(one of the reasons i can't buy anything good enough at an affordable price)...

well...i am trying to build a 2 way floorstanding...using the POLK SL5501 tweeter
9849491_3.JPG

any info on this tweet? freq response, resonance freq, RMS, db/w/m, impedance?

the seller tells this tweeter is the one used on the RT10, RT12, RT8, RT5, CS250, CS245, CS225(& some others)models of the polk audio speakers...forst: do you have any of these, and so could tell me what do you think about this tweeter..?oh...which crossover frequency should I use? i have to choose between -[18 DB/octave Butterworth]- 1600Hz, 3500Hz or 5000 Hz....which of three would be better to use(((or anyone knows @ which freq is it crossed on the polk audio speaker models??????

...and....because of unavailability, costs and cabinet size, I chose the Selenium 8PW3 woofer...

later I will be asking about the woofers, right now, i just need help woth the tweeter.
thanks
Post edited by bladerunner on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Welcome BR,

Dont take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to help you.

The way you are going about this is the hard way. Unless you are prepared to spend a long time researching speaker design, and prepared to invest time and money into speaker design software and measurement equipment, you are far better off copying a proven DIY design.

This was the advice I was given when I got into the hobby and I am glad someone told me before I wasted my time and money.

If you want some direction for DIY designs or kits, let me know.
    Graham
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Welcome to the forum! I'm afraid I can't be much help with the design but good luck.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • bladerunner
    bladerunner Posts: 7
    edited October 2005
    Options
    gatemplin wrote:
    Welcome BR,

Dont take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to help you.

The way you are going about this is the hard way. Unless you are prepared to spend a long time researching speaker design, and prepared to invest time and money into speaker design software and measurement equipment, you are far better off copying a proven DIY design.

This was the advice I was given when I got into the hobby and I am glad someone told me before I wasted my time and money.

If you want some direction for DIY designs or kits, let me know.

thnak you very much: of course i don't take it the wrong way...but, do you know what's the problem?? i live in Argentina...here...everything is extremely overpriced and overvaluated -one dollar is like 3 pesos(our local money paper)-...plus i don't have much money...AND...i don't want it to sound incredibly good on the first try...this-if i build it- will be my second DIY project, as i have already built one before...(a 3 way floorstanding, not sounding very good hehe)i'm selling this floorstanding here....and so i want to DIY a simple project...as i said...i don't want it to sound like one of the commercial models, or nothing like that...i had thought of a tweeter and an 8" woofer...a prebuilt crossover(EMINENCE). all thrown into a box(built to woofer specs, using computer modelling), just that...thanks
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Try calling Polk's customer service department. They can probably transfer you to some who can give you the data you're looking for. the phone number is 800-377-7655.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2005
    Options
    The data is proprietary, and won't be divulged.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Wanna learn how to do it correctly?

Get this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1882580338/qid=1128368180/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-8485338-3212129?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

1882580338.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It is, for all intents and purposes, the bible of speaker design. If you want to start getting into this hobby, you can build some real whiz-bang stuff in your garage and this book with teach/show you how to pull it off well. It is a must-have for every do-it-yourselfer's library.

I wish my copy hadn't been stolen. One day, I will have another copy of my very own, once again!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!